IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story <Spoilers>

Rubin Farr

Finally saw this. Very enjoyable. Great to see Vader let loose at the end and fuck some shit up.

Saw it in 3D and honestly didn't realize that Tarkin was CGI until I read that the day after. Leia on the other hand....

Anyways it's probably jumped the queue and is my third favourite Star Wars movie.

Wow, really? I thought Tarkin was crap, while Leia looked utterly convincing. Funny how they managed to find an excellent young doppelganger for Mon Mothma though - so much better that way.

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-mon-mothmajp

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how they managed to find an excellent young doppelganger for Mon Mothma though - so much better that way.

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-mon-mothmajp

That's because it's the daughter of the actress who played Mon Mothma in ROTJ.

It just hurts when the mind runs wild with "sneak in and steal the plans" and this is what they came up with

And had they done some Mission Impossible-style heist, you'd complain it was far too complex and fanboyish...

I saw it, REALLY enjoyed it, and it sits in my top 3 Star Wars movies.

And both Tarkin and Leia were excellent - amazing what they can do with CGI. There were only a few moments that Tarkin made me think "yeah, that's CGI", so hats off to ILM for the excellent work.

it was just okay. not as good as tfa. i wish they had given donnie a lightsaber at some point. the dead people looked really bad imo but the one thing that 3d is good for is basking bad cg so what chen said makes sense. the variations on the classic scores were really weird too. like when you hear a song that's obviously supposed to be a cover but they have to change a couple of notes so they don't pay for the rights. the choke joke felt like they were trying to force a meme into the movie. the droid and darth vader at the end made it worth it though.

i'd put it above the prequels below the originals and tfa.

this was sooooo bad. weirdest pacing i've ever seen. every scene is thirty seconds long. no attempt to build the characters or the team as a whole, instead compartmentalizing each character off in a pair so when the final battle happens there's no sense of unity. forest whitaker doing his best frank from blue velvet before he gets incinerated on a planet that definitely isn't tatooine (how many desert planets are there in star wars where main characters happen to live?). extremely creepy cgi peter cushing. random cameos of various original trilogy characters to fill some imaginary quota that i guess some redditor will make a cool video about explaining all the references for true fans. "badass" vader going apeshit in the last minute of the film (pretty lol) followed immediately by horrendous cgi carrie fisher saying the cheesiest line in the movie, which is a feat in a movie filled with horrible dialogue. no sense of impending doom or peril despite the entire movie hinging on that for it to work. seriously this was on the same level as revenge of the sith but faggot star wars nerds are going to say it's a classic. might as well drip feed diarrhea into my bloodstream.

lol

haven't read any of this thread. going to watch this tonite. i hope it's good (i've heard it's better than tfa). i hope donny yen kicks ass. 

You will not be disappointed my friend.

it was just okay.

lol

I'm going to wait for Joyrex's reviews of films before I see them in future. That way if he likes it I know I can save some money.

Wow, just got back from this movie. I'll preface this by saying I've been a mega Star Wars geek my whole life. I tried to go in with no assumptions as I always do. What I think this movie appeals to is the fans that got really into the inter-workings of the Star Wars universe. The fans interested in the Empire, Admirals, Moffs, the ships and the space-battles, etc. If you were growing up or raised on the new movies, I don't think this will appeal to you. That generation it was really all about the Force, 'cool' Jedi and Sith. For me I loved every second of this movie. I really think it ate the Force Awakens alive. TFA is actually my least favorite out of every one including all the prequels-- Just being honest but I thought the movie was putrid. But Rogue One restored my faith in the future of the Star Wars Universe.

Guest bitroast

Finally saw this. Very enjoyable. Great to see Vader let loose at the end and fuck some shit up.

Saw it in 3D and honestly didn't realize that Tarkin was CGI until I read that the day after. Leia on the other hand....

Anyways it's probably jumped the queue and is my third favourite Star Wars movie.

Wow, really? I thought Tarkin was crap, while Leia looked utterly convincing. Funny how they managed to find an excellent young doppelganger for Mon Mothma though - so much better that way.

it actually is the same actress who played mon mothra in Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith. they sort of stayed closer to the orig trilogy aesthetic this time round but as opposed to going with something new and wacky. 

MonMothma2.jpg

people itt who think this film is better than the force awakens have no idea about how films work or why they are good. It's that simple. This film, without its Star Wars paint, is completely forgettable and frankly poor.

I am a Star Wars fan of course so I liked the ships and the sounds the ships made. That's about it

people itt who think this film is better than the force awakens have no idea about how films work or why they are good. It's that simple. This film, without its Star Wars paint, is completely forgettable and frankly poor.

I am a Star Wars fan of course so I liked the ships and the sounds the ships made. That's about it

Breaking news: Different opinions on subjective media make dr lopez cranky.

Lol.  That's like saying you can't enjoy music and have no idea what good music is if you don't know Music Theory and exactly how music is composed.

saw it today. liked it. there's some things that bug me about it but forgivable things. 

it's hard to see some dudes in space, getting ready to storm a 'security planet', wearing helmets that look like something from Saving Private Ryan.   i hate the "i'm resigned to my death" scenes near the end.. the "i'm one w/the force".  

also, did darth vader make a joke?  "try not to choke on your ambitions" or whatever he says?  maybe that's in character but idk really.. i mean.. maybe it's when darth is still young and full of fresh piss after his wife died of 'a broken heart' or whatever and feels like making jokes. 

i thought it was good though.. a bit too formulaic at times. they really stick to the action film tropes in some places..  and why does the empire store it's data on hard drives from 1993?

but i liked it.. might even see it again.  it's nice they filled in the gaps. 

side note. .i went to the grocery store on the way home and the dude at the checkout asked "do anything fun today" so i answer "rogue one" then we had a long chat.  he liked it more than any of the other films.. he was probably 10-15 years younger than me so that's understandable.. i saw New Hope in the theater. old! and dude was saying how force awakens bothers him because everyone else in star wars movies has to have at least some kind of training to use the force the way she did.. his argument - "she's going toe to toe w/a guy who froze time around a laser blast that keeps on its course after he lets it and she's not even trained" .  lol.. there was no time to sit and talk because grocery checkout line.. but i was thinking that it all depends on how the force works.. i've always thought the power of it rose/fell w/the state of mind of the user or something and that kylo ren was pretty fragile too and up and down like a whiny tween.. and so any resistance at all had to sort of shake him even though he just killed his dad.. 

i digress.. 

we'll see what the next movie brings.. rogue one was fun.. dark and other than some sort of stereotypes and action movie tropes it's got some good nostalgia.. is entertianing.. and 100 times better than the prequel shitshows.. 

it was just okay. not as good as tfa. i wish they had given donnie a lightsaber at some point...

...the choke joke felt like they were trying to force a meme into the movie. the droid and darth vader at the end made it worth it though.

i'd put it above the prequels below the originals and tfa.

In one sentence you say they should have done the most fanservicey thing possible, and in the next criticize the film for doing something on about the same level...

I'm not sure yet whether I like Rogue One better than TFA - I watched TFA again over the holiday and really liked the pacing, the acting, and the overall story.

I kinda hope Disney will do something daring and re-do the prequels, perhaps after Lucas dies so they won't need to see his turkey giblet neck shake and wobble in fury.

dude i'm 100% okay with fanservice in something like star wars but that joke literally felt like it was so self aware and purposefully bad that they hoped people would latch onto it and make a meme out of it. at least that's how it came off to me. i have pretty high hopes about episode viii as i really enjoyed looper. i've heard that brother's bloom is good too and while a bit pretentious, brick was pretty enjoyable and felt pretty fresh when i saw it.

saw it again this time no 3D and not hungover as fuck from day for night and also not thinking that all art is worthless after aphex's set. 

more forgiving, not as bad as I thought initially but still just... below average. there's a decent film in there but poor direction (not in terms of camera movement etc) but just pacing and knowing what to cut and too many things we are told and not shown that we have to accept. in that way it seems a lot like the prequels but without any of the original art direction, instead just xwings and stormtroopers. fucking lol at the nerds who are like "I FIND THE GEORGE LUCAS SPECIAL EDITIONS OFFENSIVE BECAUSE OF THE SHIT HE CRAMMED IN THERE LIKE DEWBACKS AND JABBAS RETARD BAND" but are now oohing and ahhing when random fanservice garbage like blue milk or the ugly bar idiots are shoved on the screen. isn't that the exact same thing? not important to the actual narrative of the film - instead only included because it holds "meaning" for the viewers outside of the universe in the theater. pathetic, poor film making that is expected and required these days. depressing.

someone said in this thread that vader's annoying line "choking on your aspirations" from this film is the same and just as cheesy as "apology accepted" from empire. no. We know that vader as a character is a meany head and that he can do a chokey thing (it's just acting tho) so the good filmmakers from empire understood that cutting straight to a man choking and vader offscreen saying "apology accepted captain needa" is funny precisely because we *don't* see the interstitial scene where he presumably gave a stupid forced apology and vader got mad. It's a simple gag that is indicated to the audience both through the clever editing and the pithy dialog. words and visuals working together to futher the narrative and bring some comic relief.

in this stupid film for some reason ben mendelsohn has to walk in front of a green screen which becomes a "sick" lava volcano temple for no reason. there is shot / reverse shot of the two of them explaining the plot to us in drab dialog but with a fantastic backdrop. seem familiar? then we see a closeup of his face and then he starts choking as vader walks away out of focus. he says choking on aspirations because he is literally choking ben mendelsohn and it's a plot point that his character is "ambitious" i guess. it's so fucking obvious and devoid of any sort of visual storytelling nuance it hurts. if you do not understand the difference between these two scenes than please watch fewer marvel movies k thnx bai

saw it again this time no 3D and not hungover as fuck from day for night and also not thinking that all art is worthless after aphex's set. 

more forgiving, not as bad as I thought initially but still just... below average. there's a decent film in there but poor direction (not in terms of camera movement etc) but just pacing and knowing what to cut and too many things we are told and not shown that we have to accept. in that way it seems a lot like the prequels but without any of the original art direction, instead just xwings and stormtroopers. fucking lol at the nerds who are like "I FIND THE GEORGE LUCAS SPECIAL EDITIONS OFFENSIVE BECAUSE OF THE SHIT HE CRAMMED IN THERE LIKE DEWBACKS AND JABBAS RETARD BAND" but are now oohing and ahhing when random fanservice garbage like blue milk or the ugly bar idiots are shoved on the screen. isn't that the exact same thing? not important to the actual narrative of the film - instead only included because it holds "meaning" for the viewers outside of the universe in the theater. pathetic, poor film making that is expected and required these days. depressing.

someone said in this thread that vader's annoying line "choking on your aspirations" from this film is the same and just as cheesy as "apology accepted" from empire. no. We know that vader as a character is a meany head and that he can do a chokey thing (it's just acting tho) so the good filmmakers from empire understood that cutting straight to a man choking and vader offscreen saying "apology accepted captain needa" is funny precisely because we *don't* see the interstitial scene where he presumably gave a stupid forced apology and vader got mad. It's a simple gag that is indicated to the audience both through the clever editing and the pithy dialog. words and visuals working together to futher the narrative and bring some comic relief.

in this stupid film for some reason ben mendelsohn has to walk in front of a green screen which becomes a "sick" lava volcano temple for no reason. there is shot / reverse shot of the two of them explaining the plot to us in drab dialog but with a fantastic backdrop. seem familiar? then we see a closeup of his face and then he starts choking as vader walks away out of focus. he says choking on aspirations because he is literally choking ben mendelsohn and it's a plot point that his character is "ambitious" i guess. it's so fucking obvious and devoid of any sort of visual storytelling nuance it hurts. if you do not understand the difference between these two scenes than please watch fewer marvel movies k thnx bai

he could've choked him and said "keep your shit in check fucboi" and it would've worked just as well. 

Archived