IGNORED

Help with Analog RYTM

Audioblysk

Just picked one up. The manual explains little to nothing in a concise manner. Tutorials skip the basics. Please help. I have never been this frustrated by a piece of gear before in the history of ever.

I cannot figure out how to load samples that are in the machine to pads so I can play them and then record them chromatically in real time. I understand how to make a basic drum pattern on the sequencer by playing in to the synth, programming the step sequencer and some of the nuts and bolts, but something so simple as changing drum sounds or assigning samples to a pad should not be this convoluted.

Please help. Mainly, how do I assign samples to pads and how do I change sounds and kits on the fucking thing. Maybe I've just had a long day, but this seems like it should be so much easier...

Off the top of my head:

1. Go to Global -> Samples

2. Navigate to actual sample, hit right arrow key, navigate down to "include in project"

3. Exit out of the menu

4. Hit the sample key in the synth parameter section

5. Twist the top right potentiometer to select sample for that chann

6. Turn up the volume for the sample

^ yea this, if you want to skip these steps, for your own samples. Just drag them from Finder to the pad of your choice, done.

(thanks sisfor for posting :])

for loading samples which are already in the machine - what psn said.

There is an alternative method which kind of is the same but backwards, which I prefer for loading individual samples into tracks:

- select a track (track button + pad)

- select sample page (press sample/reverb button)

- double click the sample button

> you are now seeing the sample list for the current project, aka the samples which can be used for making beats

- use the encoder D to highlight an empty entry (where you will load the sample to)

- press function + yes

> you are now seeing the +drive sample memory aka sample cold storage

- browse for the sample you want to load

- if you wanna preview how the sample sounds in the selected track, hit function+yes

- once you are happy with the sample, hit yes.

> the sample name now has an arrow beside it and a number indicating in which sample slot it is loaded

- press NO

> you have now exited cold storage and are on the sample parameter page for the track/sample you have chosen

- increase sample level with encoder H.

Done.

If you wanna play the sample chromatically, press the chromatic button and hit the pads.

If you wanna record this, hold COPY/REC and hit CLEAR/PLAY.

now the rec led blinks, if you hit the pads it will record into the sequencer.

Is this complicated as fuck? Yes it is.

Could this be better? I think it should.

Does this literally pay my rent? Indeed it does.

For loading a different kit:

press function+kit, select load kit, browse, hit yes.

For changing the synthesis model of the current track:

double-press the synth button, browse, hit yes

For loading a sound from +drive or pool:

- press function+sound, select load sound, browse, hit yes.

(personally I rarely use sound loading/saving. Because the sounds you save are only compatible with certain tracks which support the sound's synth model)

-------

A lot of this stuff seems weird/convoluted, but most of it does actually work pretty well once you know how...

You guys kick ass. I'm now 99% more confident with this machine and actually made a worthwhile pattern today. This thing is deep a hell once you crack the learning curve and menu-diving

We should turn this into a RYTM super thread for tricks and tips!

for starters...

- load a bunch of different samples into the project (e.g. make sure that the first 20 or so slots are filled)

- on one sequencer track, fill the sequence up with trigs (press rec once to enter grid rec mode. then press every step button.)

- on that track's lfo page, set the lfo destination to [sample slot].

- set lfo depth to something other than 0.

this will let the lfo switch between samples for each sequencer step, so you get sort of chancy random rhythms which are defined by the lfo's speed, phase, waveform and depth.

- play with lfo depth, speed, wave...

- mess with the filter, sample parameters, amp envelope etc.

by default, the LFO is free running. this means if you hit stop and play again, you will hear a different rhythm because the lfo phase will be different. if you want the same rhythm every time, you need to sync the lfo phase to your pattern.

- hold down the first step in your track

- while holding it, on the lfo page set the lfo mode to TRIG.

- release the step button

> the lfo now restarts in sync with your pattern.

- use SPH (start phase) and adjust the phase to please the idm gods

^ edit:

- on the track you're working with, of course increase sample volume.

- also the sample slot which you choose here will define your rhythm.

e.g.: if you select sample 10, and lfo depth is 5, your rhythm will consist of samples between slot 5 and 15.

play around with this for the win

also definitely try using extreme compressor settings with this technique

Wow, thanks guys! Meant to reply sooner. Psn totally fixed the whole situation, got the app and tried out your crazy shit phling! I bought this machine for its analog drum synthesis capabilities, not to say it doesn't do that well - it does... But what I'm really blown away with is how it's everything I've wanted in a sampler/drum workstation. I did not expect to like the blend of sampling and synthesis to be pretty much what I always though an MPC would provide me in terms of functionality before naively purchasing one and hating it.

Individual outs, din sync, analog filter/distortion/compressor, routing possibilities, parameter locks, sample/synth layering in one track... Its so powerful that really the only limitation is willingness to dive deep into really animating thru the p-locks and signal chain and abusing/fiddling with it's settings.

I digress - thanks for the help gents. Maybe we should make this a RYTM tips, tops and tricks thread?

• 2 weeks later...

new cymbal, kick, snare synths, noise & impulse generator

yes! new revolution in sound design

:cisfor:

ok, ok, ok... it sounds great actually

:cerious:

Couldn't find this anywhere else on the forum but ya'll should have a look at the latest OS Update

The new Cymbal and the Bass sounds very impressive.

Ordered one, will be here in a couple days. Am so excited/nervous, like meeting a mail-order bride for the first time.

sent using magic space waves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Elektron just released an upgrade for the Rytm (both models) that updates some machines to be used as dual VCO bass synths (?!?!)...watched the video, updating my Rytm now so I'm not full sure what all is going on, release notes and video/forums weren't too specific, but the audio examples are good. I often use some of the machines as synths anyway so this should only make things better.  :yeah:

Pretty keen Auxien to hear you test those new VCOs... i've always found the cross over between the RYTM and A4 interesting. 

This definitely doesn't get near the A4 of course, but is certainly leaning in that direction. I played for 20 minutes last night and the Dual VCO machines are pretty powerful, if a bit quirky. Good thing is, it's quirky in really interesting ways! Tuning is a bit weird, but imo that's not a bad thing :) It's pretty complex tho, gets really growly and the basses can sound really fucking good.  Going to have to work a little to get the higher sounds clean and nice, but the samples from Dataline seem to imply that it's possible. 3 voice analog monosynth addition to a ~5 year old drum machine. Fucking great stuff.

Archived