Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Albums you believe are deserving of critical reappraisal
kinda like what happened to drukQs

underrated Kickass fuckin rad

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,135 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

Let's talk about albums that haven't exactly been canonized or even have a cult following that you are aware of that you think are fuckin' rad. Don't be afraid of ridicule, just talk about music that you would like people to have a second thought about.

The first two Mars Volta albums got some praise from some critics, but were immediately banished from the hip cookout by major taste making publications. But they are SO fun, in my opinion. They are a love or hate kind of band, but their first two albums at least have quite a bit to love. Interesting unique sound and a great sense of melody. AWESOME drumming from Jon Theodore. Intense and convincingly weird lyrics that would sound stupid plain spoken but are strangely captivating and immersive when sung by Cedric Bixler Zavala. Many people see them as pretentious, but they are clearly no more pretentious than the recent Swans albums(which I do like). They even have more bang for your buck, honestly. 

#2 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

^^^ "Deloused in the Comatorium" is one of the best albums of the last whatever... since it came out..  beginning to end it's a masterpiece imo.  it's like some weird psychedelic progpunk thing.  so many layers and on that particular mars volta record the vocals are at full falsetto all the time. there's a softer range or something to the vocals. but it's a masterpiece. i think it's all i listened to for a couple months when it came out. and still when i put it on i have to listen to the entire record.

#3 beerwolf

beerwolf

2K, On My Way

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,164 posts
  • 201 topics
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

Never did listen to those Mars Volta albums, maybe I should give 'em a spin.

#4 gnarlybog

gnarlybog

Metaphysical Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • 5 topics
  • Joined 10-October 11

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:18 AM

The first two albums are some of the best I have ever heard. Frances the Mute is near perfect. Unfortunately, each album got worse and worse. 

#5 purlieu

purlieu

Level seven environment four

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/enofa

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, the first two are fucking excellent. They could collapse under the weight of the complexity like a lot of prog does, but the tunes are so strong that both albums soar. The last three minutes of Frances the Mute are absolutely unbeatable. Swiftly downhill from there, although I remember liking a couple of tracks on the third album.

That said, they have/had a pretty obsessive culty fanbase.

For me, I'd say any of the albums by Neotropic. Although her name pops up from time to time in "female electronic producers" discussions, I find she tends to be forgotten about otherwise. All five of her albums are incredibly different and brilliant in their own way.

#6 futureimage

futureimage

I am Arrhythmian

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 24-February 08
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/futureimage
  • XBOX360:futureimage

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

This is the start of so many things for me, and beats Oxygene by miles and miles and miles.

I've read so many terrible reviews of this album, and I haven't a fucking clue why. So many moments of perfection, "Dreams of Leaving" in itself is a total anthem:

#7 paranerd

paranerd

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 43 topics
  • Joined 28-May 13
  • Interests:Braindance
    Audio Post-Production

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

I always thought Mars Volta were well respected and listened too.

I vote for The Soft Boys.  Whenever I listen to them, I'm always amazed how good they were with so little buzz about them.  Amusing lyrics about food, sex and death.  Bluesy psychprog at times, amazingly great pop at others. One of my favorite bands for sure.

#8 span

span

i want to be ban

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,767 posts
  • 83 topics
  • Joined 25-November 10

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Pitchfork hates them, and they are/were taste dictators... they SLAMMED their first records

just checked and they slammed them all basically... a 2.0 for Frances The Mute... jeez

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy, 18 April 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#9 Haste

Haste

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 26-August 14

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Pitchfork hates them, and they are/were taste dictators... they SLAMMED their first records

just checked and they slammed them all basically... a 2.0 for Frances The Mute... jeez

Lol.

De-loused was/is amazing.  I thought they lost a bit of the magic after the first album though.  Saw them in a small club one tour with a couple of hundred people... was absolutely mental.  Never seen someone hit the drums so hard.

#10 Hail Sagan

Hail Sagan

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 02-February 15
  • Interests:Science and turtlenecks mainly. Oh and music (Aphex Twin, Rolando Simmons, Boards of Canada, Devin Townsend, Ochre, etc.) as well.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Devin Townsend. He certainly has developed a pretty serious cult following over the years but has more or less been blacklisted by the music industry for whatever reason. RS and P4K want nothing to do with him for whatever reason. Anyways, great musician who has no fear of taking risks even if it means alienating his fan base, is an awesome producer, and apparently a pretty fucking good talent scout as well (listen to Ché Aimee Dorval's voice on the casualties of cool album, probably the best raspy female lead since Stevie Nicks). 

Personal favorites:

Ocean Machine (1997)

City (1997)

Terria (2001)

Casualties of Cool (2014)

#11 prdctvsm

prdctvsm

ᬺᬻᬼᬽᬾᬿᮤᮥ ᮦᮧᮨᮩ᮪᮫ᮬᩘᩙᩚᩛᩜᩝ ᩡᩢᩣᩤᩥᩦᩧᩨᩩᩪᩫᩬ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 05-March 08

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

best cabaret voltaire lp by a long shot, imho, sounding better & moar strangely produced 2day than it did bak den.

so densely fractured & shifting, this albums' brazen rhyth-hyms of hard stabby synths & tuff, funky basslines haz both cray flow & post-industrial ambiance thru-out.

evn fts. charlie manson sampled btwn a cpl trax, spoutin' off about not being a hippy !

had hps bad reviews 2 boot lol:

0000171733_350.jpg

#12 dudenorth

dudenorth

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 17-March 14

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

Let's talk about albums that haven't exactly been canonized or even have a cult following that you are aware of that you think are fuckin' rad. Don't be afraid of ridicule, just talk about music that you would like people to have a second thought about.

The first two Mars Volta albums got some praise from some critics, but were immediately banished from the hip cookout by major taste making publications. But they are SO fun, in my opinion. They are a love or hate kind of band, but their first two albums at least have quite a bit to love. Interesting unique sound and a great sense of melody. AWESOME drumming from Jon Theodore. Intense and convincingly weird lyrics that would sound stupid plain spoken but are strangely captivating and immersive when sung by Cedric Bixler Zavala. Many people see them as pretentious, but they are clearly no more pretentious than the recent Swans albums(which I do like). They even have more bang for your buck, honestly. 

I didnt know a god damn thing about them when I saw them OPEN (wtf) for The Anniversary at the bottom of the hill in SF. They blew the fukin ceiling off the venue and after their set I got to just chat with cedric and he handed me the Tremulant EP as a souvenir (wtf!!) Incredible band. I fell off the mars volta train after the first album though because the recordings were so polished it changed how the music created a space of sorts... i dont know... But the Tremulant EP.... get it.

#13 dudenorth

dudenorth

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 17-March 14

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

This Robert Fripp album is so fun! crazy guitar playing, But layed back and dancy! I wish I had been around to see them play!

#14 dudenorth

dudenorth

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 17-March 14

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

Also:

"Space Prophet Dogon" by the Sun City Girls and a cover of the same tune by Grails:

And this:

performed by Natalia Gutman and Sviotoslav Richter (probably well known and well regarded just not in my circles)

#15 psn

psn

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,882 posts
  • 25 topics
  • Joined 28-July 09

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

The Mars Volta went completely down the drain after the first album.

#16 Astro Tarot

Astro Tarot

ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 29-February 16

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

I fear being outcasted by the WATMM community for admission of the following recommendation,

SUN by Cat Power is my JAM, It's a fucking amazing album, and she played all the instruments herself, super impressive record.

I read an interview she did with Pitchfork in 2003 and she didn't get along with the journalist, made fun of him.

so I think they have a chip on their shoulder about her, sorta snubbed this record, they're bullshit though, we know that.

Anyways, it's a personal favorite, there's really not much like it out there, definitely along with blonde redhead's 'misery is a butterfly' 

#17 Goiter Sanchez

Goiter Sanchez

SWEGUNO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts
  • 82 topics
  • Joined 30-March 06
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/sweguno
  • Interests:Goiters.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

Seefeel's debut 'Quique' found its tacit position in musical history but their second album 'Succour' barely registered with the Warp-going populous and is scarcely mentioned at all today. Critics were beguiled as it clearly sounded, and sounds, like nothing else.

Their 2011 eponymous album has, thus far, met a similar fate.

#18 logakght

logakght

untouchable as a dream.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • 55 topics
  • Joined 06-May 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/geosmina2
  • Interests:magic=physics

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

DeepChord's Sommer should be venerated. 

#19 Allize

Allize

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 16-January 14

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:57 PM

best thread. I'm liking that neotropic one, never heard about her before but it's sounding good. Much love for deloused btw, probably the only prog rock I like.

#20 JUVITH SITH

JUVITH SITH

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 29-July 15
  • Interests:different from day to day

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

https://ekoplekz.ban...bum/reflekzionz

this is a gem start to finish

#21 paranerd

paranerd

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 43 topics
  • Joined 28-May 13
  • Interests:Braindance
    Audio Post-Production

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

I fear being outcasted by the WATMM community for admission of the following recommendation,

SUN by Cat Power is my JAM, It's a fucking amazing album, and she played all the instruments herself, super impressive record.

I read an interview she did with Pitchfork in 2003 and she didn't get along with the journalist, made fun of him.

so I think they have a chip on their shoulder about her, sorta snubbed this record, they're bullshit though, we know that.

Anyways, it's a personal favorite, there's really not much like it out there, definitely along with blonde redhead's 'misery is a butterfly' 

I really liked Cat Power's 'What Would the Community Think' when it came out, but I haven't kept up with what she was doing since.

Blond Redhead too, they're great.  Thanks for the reminder.

#22 Hail Sagan

Hail Sagan

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 02-February 15
  • Interests:Science and turtlenecks mainly. Oh and music (Aphex Twin, Rolando Simmons, Boards of Canada, Devin Townsend, Ochre, etc.) as well.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

Also:

"Space Prophet Dogon" by the Sun City Girls and a cover of the same tune by Grails:

Nice.

#23 Ivan Ooze

Ivan Ooze

i kill and eat everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,049 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 22-January 12
  • Interests:musick

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

leafcutter john, the housebound spirit

got the album years ago, but recently been playing it and enjoying it more then ever

lots of underrated great albums on P-Mu

#24 span

span

i want to be ban

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,767 posts
  • 83 topics
  • Joined 25-November 10

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

lots of underrated great albums on P-Mu

yea planet mu has such a backlog, it's kind of overwhelming. I bet some of my future-favorites-albums are planet mu albums I havent checked out yet

#25 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,392 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

early 00's Mu is best Mu. Love that Leafcutter John album.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: underrated, Kickass, fuckin rad