IGNORED

Albums you believe are deserving of critical reappraisal

Candiru

snares, printf. not sure exactly how well received (or really at all) it was when it came out but i thought it was totally innovative and new. will never forget listening to it the first time and my jaw just dropping open. took breaks to soaring new 8 bit highs of aggression and velocity.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also like Cat Power. First time I heard her music was Crossbones Style, and it was one those wtf is that!? moments. She's got some great tunes, her albums can be patchy for me though.

Seefeel's debut 'Quique' found its tacit position in musical history but their second album 'Succour' barely registered with the Warp-going populous and is scarcely mentioned at all today. Critics were beguiled as it clearly sounded, and sounds, like nothing else.

I'm hoping Seefeel gets a critical appreciation revival the way Slowdive has lately. Chris Ott/ Shallow Rewards mentioned he was a huge fan of their early EPs when I asked them about their role in shoegaze and IDM. Last couple of years I got really into a lot of post-shoegaze ambient and early post rock stuff that seems to be overlooked/under-appreciated. This band is a good example:

That Insides record is so amazing. Their debut album is pretty good too, if a lot more straightforward. Didn't like their third one mind. I think they're recording a new album now. I'm hoping if it gets decent distribution it'll get them some much overdue attention.

Seefeel's debut 'Quique' found its tacit position in musical history but their second album 'Succour' barely registered with the Warp-going populous and is scarcely mentioned at all today. Critics were beguiled as it clearly sounded, and sounds, like nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8LrvSpfhA

Their 2011 eponymous album has, thus far, met a similar fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqspQN4EMkI

Yeah Succour is probably second only to Chiastic Slide for me as far as 90s warp stuff goes. Must have listened to it hundreds of times and still not bored. It really should have got more kudos. There's been nothing that sounds quite like it before or since.

there was a group out of San Francisco I believe called "We". I remember owning an album called As Is and another which was The Square Root of -1 or something similar. They were pretty groovy, producing a fairly eclectic blend of electronic, mostly genre-defying. I dont recall them getting much press (or distribution for that matter), but should have.

Another which I have always been enamored of is an artist called Downpour who I believe was from SF too. He was an experimental producer muchly on the agressive side and reminded me of Phthalocyanine at times. Very good stuff, notably a song named "Her Spectre Above Me Look...". I don't think he ever got much recognition but deserved it.

She was so good live, I saw her last year, after about 10 years of listening, it was amazing.

she played songs that we're 20 years old, and it never sounded better. was too fucking real.

she played for about 3 hours, Solo.

seefeel are incredibly good, succor is astounding and definitely needs reappraisal

meat beat manifesto to me are insanely ignored both by IDM fans and the general populace. piss off massive attack lol

i also feel that astrobotnia 3 and aleksi perala in general is an IDM god on par with aphex and ae but flies totally under the radar. esp when more people talk about bola??? weird. I mean bola is good but aleksi can pull anything off. and will. and has.

• 2 years later...

seefeel are incredibly good, succor is astounding and definitely needs reappraisal

meat beat manifesto to me are insanely ignored both by IDM fans and the general populace. piss off massive attack lol

i also feel that astrobotnia 3 and aleksi perala in general is an IDM god on par with aphex and ae but flies totally under the radar. esp when more people talk about bola??? weird. I mean bola is good but aleksi can pull anything off. and will. and has.

damn this is a good ass post lmao

listening to astrobotnia 3 rn (drops, the best track) and it's perfect. aleksi never stop.

Prince’s “The Rainbow Children” is one of my favorite albums. People made a ton of fun of it when it came out because it was the height of “lol Prince is a weirdo” and “lol Prince is a Jehovah’s Witness” times, but Rainbow Children is an amazing futuristic concept album with great songs, a digable back-story, and really really good instrumental performances.

Prince definitely has some tossed-off or subpar albums later in his career, but Rainbow Children is not at all like that: it’s positively crammed full of content and ideas. It’s like the people who reviewed it never actually listened to it.

First mars volta album is pure gold. Second album is really good too. Last album I heard was noctourniquet and I was pleasantly surprised, lots of electronic on this one. Also what Lopez said about aleksi, one of the greatest since the rephlex days.

I've been sucking Lopez cock for a few posts (huh) for a while now.

But I also agree about Death Grips. I was pretty fast onto them when they released their first album, and pretty much I'd turn up to loads of mates houses and I'd wack on the CDR and just watch the effect of the first couple of tracks smash it.

I do like Bottomless Pit but I agree this band aren't as good as people may like to think. Having said that when I watched them at Field Day there was a huge tent of folks well up for it and well up for a savage mosh.

It's easy to say that the band aren't so great but when you see a pit of fans having it, well who knows? I definitely felt a tribal atmosphere in there. And I like that, it felt good.

best cabaret voltaire lp by a long shot, imho, sounding better & moar strangely produced 2day than it did bak den.

so densely fractured & shifting, this albums' brazen rhyth-hyms of hard stabby synths & tuff, funky basslines haz both cray flow & post-industrial ambiance thru-out.

evn fts. charlie manson sampled btwn a cpl trax, spoutin' off about not being a hippy !

had hps bad reviews 2 boot lol:

0000171733_350.jpg

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, this

Cabs were my teenage gateway drug between thrash metal & something equally brazen but northern & weird, which is always a good start

there's a track on the above that samples a film conversation that i've never been able to plot, the "we're new people now" (not @ home & google says no for clips), barely a few minutes but it's so endlessly strange because the full context is never disclosed & they acid comedown-dub it up superbly, you can play it out too over just about anything melodic/minimal/beat-heavy/drone & it always deepens the madness

Richard H Kirk went on pretty much a 20year blitz of quality releases. Must have bought everything he's had a hand in, but those mid-80's mindfucks are still gold

I've been sucking Lopez cock for a few posts (huh) for a while now.

But I also agree about Death Grips. I was pretty fast onto them when they released their first album, and pretty much I'd turn up to loads of mates houses and I'd wack on the CDR and just watch the effect of the first couple of tracks smash it.

I do like Bottomless Pit but I agree this band aren't as good as people may like to think. Having said that when I watched them at Field Day there was a huge tent of folks well up for it and well up for a savage mosh.

It's easy to say that the band aren't so great but when you see a pit of fans having it, well who knows? I definitely felt a tribal atmosphere in there. And I like that, it felt good.

Yeah seeing them live made me go from thinking they were an interesting novelty act to thinking they really have the fire. The Money Store.

10 diverse albums special to me which I've long felt were unfairly overlooked on release and long after for whatever reason, maybe haven't received anywhere near their critical dues and recognition:

PJ Harvey - Is this Desire? (at least has a cult following and growing recognition)

Madonna - Erotica

Madonna - Bedtime Stories

The Church - Priest=Aura (at least has a cult following)

Darren Hayes - The Tension & the Spark

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See

Seefeel - Succour (at least seems well appreciated here among IDM heads)

Lifehouse - Stanley Climbfall (a sophomore mainstream/christian/postgrunge rock album I listened to endlessly in my youth anyway)

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Crowded House - Temple of Low Men

I agree with an earlier poster that Chiastic Slide and Succour are quite easily the Warp picks of the 90s (although personally I also adore Amber).

Archived