Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Albums you believe are deserving of critical reappraisal
kinda like what happened to drukQs

underrated Kickass fuckin rad

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 herrdoppler

herrdoppler

x@unseen-forces.net

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 08-March 16
  • SoundCloud URL:http://unseen-forces.net
  • Interests:Electro Snobbery

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

snares, printf. not sure exactly how well received (or really at all) it was when it came out but i thought it was totally innovative and new. will never forget listening to it the first time and my jaw just dropping open. took breaks to soaring new 8 bit highs of aggression and velocity.

#27 beerwolf

beerwolf

2K, On My Way

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts
  • 201 topics
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:52 AM

I also like Cat Power. First time I heard her music was Crossbones Style, and it was one those wtf is that!? moments. She's got some great tunes, her albums can be patchy for me though.

#28 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Seefeel's debut 'Quique' found its tacit position in musical history but their second album 'Succour' barely registered with the Warp-going populous and is scarcely mentioned at all today. Critics were beguiled as it clearly sounded, and sounds, like nothing else.

I'm hoping Seefeel gets a critical appreciation revival the way Slowdive has lately. Chris Ott/ Shallow Rewards mentioned he was a huge fan of their early EPs when I asked them about their role in shoegaze and IDM. Last couple of years I got really into a lot of post-shoegaze ambient and early post rock stuff that seems to be overlooked/under-appreciated. This band is a good example:

Edited by joshuatx, 20 April 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#29 purlieu

purlieu

Level seven environment four

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/enofa

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

That Insides record is so amazing. Their debut album is pretty good too, if a lot more straightforward. Didn't like their third one mind. I think they're recording a new album now. I'm hoping if it gets decent distribution it'll get them some much overdue attention.

#30 danshoebridge

danshoebridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 20-October 10

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

Seefeel's debut 'Quique' found its tacit position in musical history but their second album 'Succour' barely registered with the Warp-going populous and is scarcely mentioned at all today. Critics were beguiled as it clearly sounded, and sounds, like nothing else.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uz8LrvSpfhA

Their 2011 eponymous album has, thus far, met a similar fate.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rqspQN4EMkI

Yeah Succour is probably second only to Chiastic Slide for me as far as 90s warp stuff goes. Must have listened to it hundreds of times and still not bored. It really should have got more kudos. There's been nothing that sounds quite like it before or since.

#31 marf

marf

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • 102 topics
  • Joined 15-June 06

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

SeeFeel were very important back in the early days when there wasnt really an identity to this music. Mysterious band. Who were they?

#32 herrdoppler

herrdoppler

x@unseen-forces.net

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 08-March 16

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

there was a group out of San Francisco I believe called "We". I remember owning an album called As Is and another which was The Square Root of -1 or something similar. They were pretty groovy, producing a fairly eclectic blend of electronic, mostly genre-defying. I dont recall them getting much press (or distribution for that matter), but should have.

Another which I have always been enamored of is an artist called Downpour who I believe was from SF too. He was an experimental producer muchly on the agressive side and reminded me of Phthalocyanine at times. Very good stuff, notably a song named "Her Spectre Above Me Look...". I don't think he ever got much recognition but deserved it.

#33 Astro Tarot

Astro Tarot

ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 29-February 16

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

She was so good live, I saw her last year, after about 10 years of listening, it was amazing.

she played songs that we're 20 years old, and it never sounded better. was too fucking real.

she played for about 3 hours, Solo. 

#34 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • 127 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:riven, cum town, purple camo
  • PSN:ohm_sweet_ohm

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

seefeel are incredibly good, succor is astounding and definitely needs reappraisal

meat beat manifesto to me are insanely ignored both by IDM fans and the general populace. piss off massive attack lol

i also feel that astrobotnia 3 and aleksi perala in general is an IDM god on par with aphex and ae but flies totally under the radar. esp when more people talk about bola??? weird. I mean bola is good but aleksi can pull anything off. and will. and has.

#35 herrdoppler

herrdoppler

x@unseen-forces.net

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 08-March 16

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:23 PM

bola rules. first piece of vinyl i ever bought from warp in fact, back when their mailorder was in effect in the late 90s. highly underrated, he's a pro!

#36 dr lopez

dr lopez

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • 127 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

seefeel are incredibly good, succor is astounding and definitely needs reappraisal

meat beat manifesto to me are insanely ignored both by IDM fans and the general populace. piss off massive attack lol

i also feel that astrobotnia 3 and aleksi perala in general is an IDM god on par with aphex and ae but flies totally under the radar. esp when more people talk about bola??? weird. I mean bola is good but aleksi can pull anything off. and will. and has.

damn this is a good ass post lmao

listening to astrobotnia 3 rn (drops, the best track) and it's perfect. aleksi never stop.

#37 usagi

usagi

part-time roadman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts
  • 99 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10
  • Interests:clean popola, chips and calamari, autocray, lulz archivism, post-thread analysis, elevator shenanigans

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

still haven't heard a lick since we talked about him in '15. there's so much I didn't know where to start.

#38 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

astrobotnia gets forever props for using this... 

#39 dr lopez

dr lopez

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • 127 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

still haven't heard a lick since we talked about him in '15. there's so much I didn't know where to start.

big if true

#40 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

it wasn't exactly critically panned or anything but the first gorillaz album is mint and i'd much rather listen to it than any other album they did.

as for other music...death grips copped too much shit for NOTM, it's a fun album. seems at least as good as their other releases to me.

#41 dr lopez

dr lopez

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • 127 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

yeah death grips suck. pretentious in every single bad way.

i think demon days is good tho.

#42 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

The Money Store and Jenny Death are the ones

#43 Ascdi

Ascdi

Occasional Bacon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • 45 topics
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:07 AM

Prince’s “The Rainbow Children” is one of my favorite albums. People made a ton of fun of it when it came out because it was the height of “lol Prince is a weirdo” and “lol Prince is a Jehovah’s Witness” times, but Rainbow Children is an amazing futuristic concept album with great songs, a digable back-story, and really really good instrumental performances.

Prince definitely has some tossed-off or subpar albums later in his career, but Rainbow Children is not at all like that: it’s positively crammed full of content and ideas. It’s like the people who reviewed it never actually listened to it.

#44 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • PSN:Droideka7048
  • 3DS Friend Code:2879-0990-8442
  • Nintendo ID:droideka

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

War Babies by Hall & Oates is a genius work of pop psych circa 1974. It flopped hard, and they reacted by becoming the more pop sounding band of the 80s most of us know.

#45 D4M0

D4M0

Massively Looking Forward.

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • 63 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14
  • Interests:Lushness.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

First mars volta album is pure gold. Second album is really good too. Last album I heard was noctourniquet and I was pleasantly surprised, lots of electronic on this one. Also what Lopez said about aleksi, one of the greatest since the rephlex days.

#46 beerwolf

beerwolf

2K, On My Way

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts
  • 201 topics
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

I've been sucking Lopez cock for a few posts (huh) for a while now.

But I also agree about Death Grips. I was pretty fast onto them when they released their first album, and pretty much I'd turn up to loads of mates houses and I'd wack on the CDR and just watch the effect of the first couple of tracks smash it.

I do like Bottomless Pit but I agree this band aren't as good as people may like to think. Having said that when I watched them at Field Day there was a huge tent of folks well up for it and well up for a savage mosh.

It's easy to say that the band aren't so great but when you see a pit of fans having it, well who knows? I definitely felt a tribal atmosphere in there. And I like that, it felt good.

#47 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

best cabaret voltaire lp by a long shot, imho, sounding better & moar strangely produced 2day than it did bak den.

so densely fractured & shifting, this albums' brazen rhyth-hyms of hard stabby synths & tuff, funky basslines haz both cray flow & post-industrial ambiance thru-out.

evn fts. charlie manson sampled btwn a cpl trax, spoutin' off about not being a hippy !

had hps bad reviews 2 boot lol:

0000171733_350.jpg

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, this

Cabs were my teenage gateway drug between thrash metal & something equally brazen but northern & weird, which is always a good start

there's a track on the above that samples a film conversation that i've never been able to plot, the "we're new people now" (not @ home & google says no for clips), barely a few minutes but it's so endlessly strange because the full context is never disclosed & they acid comedown-dub it up superbly, you can play it out too over just about anything melodic/minimal/beat-heavy/drone & it always deepens the madness

Richard H Kirk went on pretty much a 20year blitz of quality releases. Must have bought everything he's had a hand in, but those mid-80's mindfucks are still gold

#48 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

I've been sucking Lopez cock for a few posts (huh) for a while now.

But I also agree about Death Grips. I was pretty fast onto them when they released their first album, and pretty much I'd turn up to loads of mates houses and I'd wack on the CDR and just watch the effect of the first couple of tracks smash it.

I do like Bottomless Pit but I agree this band aren't as good as people may like to think. Having said that when I watched them at Field Day there was a huge tent of folks well up for it and well up for a savage mosh.

It's easy to say that the band aren't so great but when you see a pit of fans having it, well who knows? I definitely felt a tribal atmosphere in there. And I like that, it felt good.

Yeah seeing them live made me go from thinking they were an interesting novelty act to thinking they really have the fire. The Money Store.

#49 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:12 AM

they're super innovative and unique and no one does what they do without deliberately trying to sound like death grips. yet another lopez "too cool for you" opinion imo.

#50 span

span

i want to be ban

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts
  • 84 topics
  • Joined 25-November 10

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:25 AM

I can understand not liking them but I don't see how they're pretentious

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: underrated, Kickass, fuckin rad