IGNORED

OTO Machine BIM BAM BOUM

d-a-m-o

I kind of want a BIM even though I have a couple of cheap-ish authentic 80s 8 and 12 bit delays around from various trades (you could hardly give them a way not that long ago). 

I have an RSD-10 that I've wanted for years but have been unimpressed with. I have other gear priorities right now (like replacing my ailing 20-year-old Mackie VLZ1202) but ideally I'll replace it with a BIM. I'm starting to see more value in quality processors than synths.

I have an RDS10 that I traded an even older ADA delay (that came out of the trash and was sold to me for $10) for, but I'm not sure I'd make the trade again. I do like the rds10 though, the filter is the key - set the feedback so it is just starting to self oscillate and then back off the filter to control it. Definitely a dirty sounding box, thouhh, reminds me more of a BBD delay than digital. The other one is an Ibanez HD1000 someone gave me free a few years ago, and I like it but I almost never use the delay, I mostly use it for pitch shifting.

That ADA was the best of them though, I think. Very glassy and early-digital clean but I think it was actually 16 bit.

My 90s 1202 has started to self destruct (at my last live show no less, but at least it was during sound check) just as I was really starting to appreciate it's sound. But to be fair, it also came out of the trash.

This looks like lots of fun. Kind of weird that the sidechain input is this little 1/8" thing, but I guess it was added pretty late in development. I like the compressor meta-control. That noise gate should be handy too. I bet that sidechain is going to be lots of fun to play with, like fling some drums at it and jam on the compressor and gate control. I bet there's some tasty sounds to be had from blending dry with wet too, rolling off the highs until the distortion isn't obvious and subtly beefing things up.

• 9 months later...

guyz pls

i need help... oto bam or eventide space? mainly to use it with the monomachine

listening yt videos i can see/hear that the eventide is much more versatile but the oto verb really sounds ...well...LUSH :)

I think it's mostly an aesthetic choice rather than a practical one. Since getting a BAM I have no lust whatsoever for the SPACE. BUT... I do lust for the MS-70CDR now. And I still want a BIM and a BOUM. That probably doesn't help you at all but there's where my noggin is at on the matter.

Bam is in the top 5 pieces of gear I've ever owned, lately I use it as my main send reverb when I'm mixing even though it's a hassle compared to plugins.  As good as the Valhalla stuff sounds it doesn't quite get where the BAM does (and the interface is really fun, too).

I think it's mostly an aesthetic choice rather than a practical one. Since getting a BAM I have no lust whatsoever for the SPACE. BUT... I do lust for the MS-70CDR now. And I still want a BIM and a BOUM. That probably doesn't help you at all but there's where my noggin is at on the matter.

heh i own the ms70cdr and it's really great for live jamming. the biggest advantage is the ability to combine up to 6 diff virtual pedals in a single preset... crazy! it sounds pretty good too + THIS application is very useful 

Bam is in the top 5 pieces of gear I've ever owned, lately I use it as my main send reverb when I'm mixing even though it's a hassle compared to plugins.  As good as the Valhalla stuff sounds it doesn't quite get where the BAM does (and the interface is really fun, too).

!!! damn im gonna buy the bam (ammm...most probably); it's out of stock atm but the next batch is coming at the and of this month 

I didn't know the BAM worked that way but AFAIK (and I'm probably getting some details wrong) earlier digital delays usually had a coarse delay time setting that chose a delay buffer size and then the actual delay time knob would continuously change the sampling rate of the DAC - that's why early digital delays could do smooth pitch bend sort of sounds like analog delays but then later digital delays would stutter when you changed the delay time (now it's back to sounding like the old way but it's all happening in DSP).  The oldest delays were more or less analog BBD delays but with a digital delay line instead of a BBD delay line (which isn't exactly analog or digital really, it has qualities of both if that makes sense). Some early samplers use variable sampling rates to change the pitch of samples, too (rather than resampling, which would have needed a more expensive CPU). I know the Akai S612 has a separate, variable DAC for every note of polyphony and they're fed into analog summing (or available as separate channels on a DIN jack in the back).

I assume the BIM works that way since it's so important to that kind of sound and they aren't trying to hit a low price point, but I didn't even think about it being how the BAM handled the size parameter.  It makes sense, since digital reverb is kind of just a special variety of delay anyway. It definitely sounds like that's going on.

Archived