IGNORED

How many of you sample their own music?

o00o

Guest WNS000

I sample myself all the time (resampling, editing and jamming). Beat repeaters and shufflers can be considered as sampling too. It is hard to define when you really use everything your DAW can offer. I also have my own library of field recordings.

When I "really" sample, I usually sample non-musical content (radio talks) and twist it into unrecognisable material and when I, very occasionally, sample other's music, I sample the most obscure artists (amateurs etc.) and, again, twist it into unrecognisable material or atomize it so much that it looses its original context completely.

I hate it when I can hear someone's original context in my original material (except from my colab mates of course) so I do my best to mask it and use it only when I feel it really contributes to my music.

So far, I have created only one completely sampled song but that was just for fun and I have not much emotional attachment to it. It was made from some stuff by Alex Machacek, Genesis and something else I don't remember now.

I really prefer to use boring, non-musical sounds and see if I can get something musical from them and then enhance it with various musical instruments if needed. It really creates fresh moments for me and keeps me interested.

Guest WNS000

Damn, it seems I am really unable to give simple answers to a given question...

Sorry if I was too off-topic.

Damn, it seems I am really unable to give simple answers to a given question...

Sorry if I was too off-topic.

lol i do it like this:

I don't.

A huge part of doing my own tracks is "sampling" my own music. I make 16 or 32 bars of music without drums which I then slice into bits and pitch shift usually -3 or -2 steps down and rearrange totally. Then I add some drums and other stuff. Using all kinds of delays and reverbs in the first step also helps coming up with cool sounding stuff later on.

I use maschine to play the samples and drums and when the basic arragement or the basic parts are done, I export everything back to Cubase and continue mixing and adding more stuff.

I really like this approach because you'll never know what the end result will end up sounding. For me that's a good thing.

@ op;

I thought this was about revisiting already finished tunes, sampling those, but yeah track freezing, re-sampling, rendering selections to samples to create variations or effects is a a lot of fun.

In renoise you can select a portion in the pattern editor and render to sample. So for example you can automate a vst on a certain channel, render this to sample, auto-slice it to place markers and program the result back for more flexibility, add pattern commands, re-iterate the effecting etc.

Afta created a tool that automates these steps and auto-places the renders back into the pattern for seamless transitioning.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:36

This tool works exactly like the native 'Render To Sample' function but goes one step further and slices the resulting sample based on where the note positions are in the source tracks.

For example if you have 4x4 drum beat and use this tool it will render the sample and insert 4 slices, one on every beat.

Optionally, the tool will also create a new track with the slice pattern data on it, so that it can be played back like the original source.

Usage

-Similar to 'Render To Sample' highlight a range in the pattern editor over a single track or multiple tracks.

-Right click in the pattern editor and select 'Render and Slice' (This can also be set as a keyboard shortcut)

-The tool will then render the selection and load it into the next available empty instrument (or it will create it if there isn't one)

-The rendered output will be sliced based on the note positions in the selected source range.

-A new track will also be created to the right of the range and the slice pattern data will be written to that, playback of this track will match the source material. You can disable this creation of a new track as a default behaviour in the Tools menu under 'Render and Slice'.

If you want to render multiple track but only slice based on the note data of some of the tracks then you can use mute and solo in the mixer to specify this as the tool will ignore slice data from muted tracks.

For example:

(picture extension not allowed here)

With mixer settings like this, the audio will be rendered from all 3 tracks, but the slices will only be based on the note data from the first (unmuted) track.

In the tools menu you can set:

• Render output settings can also be adjusted from the tools menu.
  • Write slices to a new track - Creates a new track with the pattern data
  • Write phrases to instrument - Creates a phrase for each slice

Enjoy smile.png

Also thanks to Djeroek for helping out with this.

(http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/43907-new-tool-30-render-and-slice/)

Works < Renoise 3.1, needs to be updated.

Here's a demo song file; http://www.mediafire.com/download/8lxar8whbm8lamq/renderslice+demo.xrns

@ op;

I thought this was about revisiting already finished tunes, sampling those, but yeah track freezing, re-sampling, rendering selections to samples to create variations or effects is a a lot of fun.

In renoise you can select a portion in the pattern editor and render to sample. So for example you can automate a vst on a certain channel, render this to sample, auto-slice it to place markers and program the result back for more flexibility, add pattern commands, re-iterate the effecting etc.

Afta created a tool that automates these steps and auto-places the renders back into the pattern for seamless transitioning.

Posted

08 February 2015 - 12:36

This tool works exactly like the native 'Render To Sample' function but goes one step further and slices the resulting sample based on where the note positions are in the source tracks.

For example if you have 4x4 drum beat and use this tool it will render the sample and insert 4 slices, one on every beat.

Optionally, the tool will also create a new track with the slice pattern data on it, so that it can be played back like the original source.

Usage

-Similar to 'Render To Sample' highlight a range in the pattern editor over a single track or multiple tracks.

-Right click in the pattern editor and select 'Render and Slice' (This can also be set as a keyboard shortcut)

-The tool will then render the selection and load it into the next available empty instrument (or it will create it if there isn't one)

-The rendered output will be sliced based on the note positions in the selected source range.

-A new track will also be created to the right of the range and the slice pattern data will be written to that, playback of this track will match the source material. You can disable this creation of a new track as a default behaviour in the Tools menu under 'Render and Slice'.

If you want to render multiple track but only slice based on the note data of some of the tracks then you can use mute and solo in the mixer to specify this as the tool will ignore slice data from muted tracks.

For example:

(picture extension not allowed here)

With mixer settings like this, the audio will be rendered from all 3 tracks, but the slices will only be based on the note data from the first (unmuted) track.

In the tools menu you can set:

• Render output settings can also be adjusted from the tools menu.
  • Write slices to a new track - Creates a new track with the pattern data
  • Write phrases to instrument - Creates a phrase for each slice
Enjoy smile.png

Also thanks to Djeroek for helping out with this.

Get the tool here; http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5582

(http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/43907-new-tool-30-render-and-slice/)

Works < Renoise 3.1, needs to be updated.

Here's a demo song file; http://www.mediafire.com/download/8lxar8whbm8lamq/renderslice+demo.xrns

that looks awesome I wonder if there is something like this in logic

Guest WNS000

I just skimmed through the text but I believe Live has something similar (slice clips to MIDI)? Have never used Renoise so dunno really.

I do this pretty much all the time. What I love most is putting a synth line, often put through effects at the time of the original use, into Ableton's Simpler. It delivers really lush textures sometimes!

Nope I'm not doing it within the same track, or rather rarely. I usually look for synth lines from tracks I've not been able to finish or even do anything with. And sometimes actual finished stuff.

I do this pretty much all the time. What I love most is putting a synth line, often put through effects at the time of the original use, into Ableton's Simpler. It delivers really lush textures sometimes!

this more like resampling within the same track though, right? what i gathered from OPs post was that they were referring to previous tracks you have done.

both. I mostly care about the workflow people have not if it was recorded before or during production

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I sampled a previous track at the end of Stromboli on my album DIV

partially because I sucked at breakbeats back when I made the original track

All the time! I have some recordings from as far back as age 12, it's especially fun sampling old shit like that.

8 years ago I would do it all the time, but now I use new sounds for every track because my pace of creation has gone down and so I don't forget my sounds. Also I started to feel like maybe instead of just going for the same fx / pattern that I did already, I should try to do something new and see where it leads. An older album from 2008 I did has several tracks with the same sounds, you wouldn't hear it unless you really listened for it, but for me it kinda ruins them, I wish all layers to be unique in all tracks.

I sampled a lot of my own material, not whole merged music but just some separate tracks, leftover material, noise etc. And import to Max, you can do so many things there, slice, wavetable, granular, run thru some weird fx, use as instrument, random scan ... a lot of fun!

this track is made using samples, directly generated from Max

[sc5]264681315[/sc5]

Guest WNS000

i see no point in sampling my own stuff; if i'd want to recycle some parts of my music i'd rather go back to synthesis

The point is to manipulate the samples and get new sounds.

Archived