IGNORED

What you *should've* asked in AAA

mcbpete

Despite being over 2 years now I keep on thinking of better questions to have asked Ae back in the AAA thread

Two that came to mind today:

- I can usually remember distinct events in my life during the production of some of my tracks. Are there any anecdotes that spring to mind whenever you hear one of your tracks, do they conjure up any life memories during construction?

- Are there any bits of older tracks (samples, patches, Max setups) that make a re-appearance in later tracks albeit mutated - Or do you start from scratch for every release ?

Of course this is all academic as AAA is long done, but is there any things you wished you'd asked the boys back in that thread at the top of the page ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you every used delay in any of your tracks (the thing that makes sounds repeat like an echo)?

have you ever layered drum sounds (like two or more snares at the same time)?

have you ever done a track high af and then the next day you listen to it high af and are like "i'm high af lol"?

have you ever got into a fight bc one of you insisted there was a roland jupiter 7?

have you ever done a proper track, like one that isn't generative where you just press "start" in some software?

have you ever pretended to like autechre to seem cool around your mates?

I asked some dumb-ass question about remixes cos I couldn't think of anything better. I don't have alco's inquisitive mind.

Probably something like: What games (video and otherwise) do you like? or...Do you think self-replicating, fully autonomous robots will eventually and inevitably overtake humans as Earth's most dominant "species?"

Then again the answer might simply be "Lego. Dunno."

I asked them what their favorite beer was. Now I'm not sure whether that's a brilliantly simple question or a brilliantly embarrassingly dumb question.

I'm thinking the latter :happy:

- Are there any bits of older tracks (samples, patches, Max setups) that make a re-appearance in later tracks albeit mutated - Or do you start from scratch for every release ?

I asked them what their favorite beer was. Now I'm not sure whether that's a brilliantly simple question or a brilliantly embarrassingly dumb question.

Pretty sure both these were asked in some form and answered.

I can't be bothered to check but I can def remember Booth saying he wasn't a big beer drinker and preferred spirits, either some silver patrón or some kinda fancy and obscure brandy.

That was the thing - I sometimes felt like I was asking questions for the sake of asking questions. Tim Heidecker put it brilliantly in a surprisingly straight interview a while back about Q&A events - I'm paraphrasing but it was something like "some people only think of a question for the first time after they've already said it"

Probably something like: What games (video and otherwise) do you like?

Sean actually mentioned a shmup he was playing on his phone, DoDonPachi I think? Also his avatar is from the Flashback box art.

Closest I got to asking that was this - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/page-9?do=findComment&comment=2083793

Guess I missed that bit. The thread elongated so much and so quickly I lost track after a while.

Sean actually mentioned a shmup he was playing on his phone, DoDonPachi I think? Also his avatar is from the Flashback box art.

Yep, I do remember that. DoDonPachi appears to be a classic arcade shooter like 1941 or Raptor: CotS. And Flashback, we're already familiar with.

I've grown to accept i'm not good at it (life in general).

Look at Richard Devine though, he's a successful produceah - his name all over the place in reverb essays thanks sections and shit - yet shown up after a total verbal KO on his stuff with a "hi guys, sup it's Richard" and got spanked again with an Area 51 joke. Ah, celebrities, they're like these cute retards

I've grown to accept i'm not good at it (life in general).

Look at Richard Devine though, he's a successful produceah - his name all over the place in reverb essays thanks sections and shit - yet shown up after a total verbal KO on his stuff with a "hi guys, sup it's Richard" and got spanked again with an Area 51 joke. Ah, celebrities, they're like these cute retards

Still trying to figure out if you're actually from Earth.

Ae do insane stuff with phase/panning and spectral structuring. It'd be nice if they were to expand on this. Long time ago they had stated how they liked working on sounds that produced interesting results on the oscilloscope.

I remember asking about whether the 'S' shape appearing on the vector scope in Etchogon-S is there intentionally. I had worded the question poorly in the AMA, but they had sort of acknowledged that the letter is there. Which is intriguing. Cause I'd like to see more letters. Like F for example. Or a haiku.

/obsessed AE fan

Archived