IGNORED

Autechre - feed1

sysyphus

You know, it's not even the melodies I pine for (although, yes, those are delicious), it's the atmospheres. And in that regard some of the most incredible stuff they've done in the last, oh I don't know, 10 years, have been the last 2 (as far as I know) remixes: Russell Haswell and Oberman Knocks. Holy shit. I was hoping we'd get some more of that kind of stuff. It's not completely far off from the live stuff, and that stuff is cool as heck to be sure, I just felt like with those remixes... You know how Sean's said that if he wasn't making music, he thinks he probably would have been making movies? Those two were like the sonic equivalent most intense, mind-bending Lynch or Kubrick scenes imaginable. They've got this capacity to create stuff like that nobody has in any medium I'm aware of... fuck, guys, I NEED that.

Shit, more than 10 years really. That's some of the best stuff they've done ever, really. OK, I'll hold my horses.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like a new Autechre track

It's like cor blimey guvnor up the apples and pears how's yet father

It's like somebody made some 0's and 1's in a specific order that sounds pleasing to a bunch of autistic forum fans

I love this track to death and I love everything that Autechre has done for the past... well, forever. But I really hope that we get a truly new sound soon, their stuff has sounded very similar since 1998. It's not really that innovative anymore.

their stuff has sounded very similar since 1998.

:psyduck:

With the exception of Splitrmx and Oversteps (and maybe Quaristice) it's not too far from the truth

EDIT: Maybe Move of Ten too

Autechre is so good

That statement is as absurd as Autechre's music.

Ae's output has been incredibly varied since LP5

I'm mainly talking about AE's sound pallet and not the production itself. They might as well be employees for Elektron at this point.

I'm mainly talking about AE's sound pallet and not the production itself. They might as well be employees for Elektron at this point.

Or Roland, even!

Guest Chesney

Not sure how much they even use elektron to be honest Clark. They might have used a rytm lately as Elektron are chucking them at artists. I assumed it more software based right now. If they are using elektron they are masking it very well.

Their middle period sounded all MD and MnM based but it's so much further along than that.

That is not to say you cannot get this far with Elektron, you can take them as far as you want and past but I don't feel their past few albums have seen much if any elektron work. Could be wrong though.

Guest bitroast

Not sure how much they even use elektron to be honest Clark. They might have used a rytm lately as Elektron are chucking them at artists. I assumed it more software based right now. If they are using elektron they are masking it very well.

Their middle period sounded all MD and MnM based but it's so much further along than that.

That is not to say you cannot get this far with Elektron, you can take them as far as you want and past but I don't feel their past few albums have seen much if any elektron work. Could be wrong though.

"Could be wrong though" is a phrase that was severely missing from clarktrent's posts LOL

I also don't think they use elektron stuff at all anymore tbh, what they said about it in the AAA sounded like they're through with it... Quaristice seemd to have been the conclusion. But likely the design of their own Max things is partly inspired by the Elektron-heavy Untilted/Quaristice period? e.g. some emulations of certain Machinedrum sounds, which then evolved beyond that, same for certain sequencer things etc. I'd imagine.

What I'm wondering is, have they completely dropped 3rd party synths/samplers etc, and do they exclusively/mostly use their own sound generators / processors by now? I somehow doubt they're super dogmatic about it, i.e. if they have a piece of gear which they like the sound of, probably still drive via MIDI / CV.. and record it? how about plugins? effects like reverb..? Imo not very likely that they go ahead and spend months making different reverbs when there's a ton of good ones to choose from...

but, said in the AAA that it's all software now, and it sounded like they meant it's all their own software..

but dunno.

///

anyway if they more-or-less exclusively use their own custom system now, it would kind of explain why they would stick to a certain sound which is inherent in this system, and nothing wrong with it... see where it takes them etc... it's not like there is anything wrong with that sound, their output sounds amazing (as always).

Guest Chesney

Exactly my thoughts.

I guess you get to a point where you want to get past the possibility of other people sounding like you. The amount of people with Elektron machines is huge so that means the possibility of how many Ae ripoffs.

They want to stay unobtainable, which they are doing very well.

yea.. even with the stock Elektrons (and the other things they used during that period, like Rob's stuff? MPC/Nord etc, dunno..) they were quite unobtainable though imo... just the raw creativity of sound design & the wonky tracks they made with them which transcends the gear...

Guest Chesney

Definitely but elektron were very high end boutique back then so they could easily sound unobtainable if they were tamer. Thankfully they never were and their stuff will still never be copied by the swathes of dumbass "producers" who use them.

likely the design of their own Max things is partly inspired by the Elektron-heavy Untilted/Quaristice period? e.g. some emulations of certain Machinedrum sounds, which then evolved beyond that, same for certain sequencer things etc. I'd imagine.

My thoughts too. I think they got into the Elektron workflow but met dead ends with things they wanted to try, so they probably used some of their fave features as a base for sequencer/synth ideas.

yea.. even with the stock Elektrons (and the other things they used during that period, like Rob's stuff? MPC/Nord etc, dunno..) they were quite unobtainable though imo... just the raw creativity of sound design & the wonky tracks they made with them which transcends the gear...

Yeah I've yet to hear anything that sounds remotely like post-Draft Autechre out of my Monomachine...

I guess you get to a point where you want to get past the possibility of other people sounding like you. The amount of people with Elektron machines is huge so that means the possibility of how many Ae ripoffs.

their stuff will still never be copied by the swathes of dumbass "producers" who use them.

lol

Exactly my thoughts.

They want to stay unobtainable, which they are doing very well.

I assume they just like mucking with sounds and sequences. I don't think they care if other people are trying to sound like them.

Guest Chesney

Well, no not consciously I don't think but I think they just want to keep progressing as an artist.

I used it in a broader sense of "we". We are constantly projecting thoughts onto them when in reality, we know nothing of who they are.

YT without announcement now treated by copyright. Not yet listened completely to it. Sounds like it will be on ae_live

upload it again and see what the takedown message says (also known as 'doing a syro')

I am very curious about the takedown message as well

YT without announcement now treated by copyright. Not yet listened completely to it. Sounds like it will be on ae_live

upload it again and see what the takedown message says (also known as 'doing a syro')

I am very curious about the takedown message as well

Interesting, all versions have been deleted save for mine. I am the chosen one!

Archived