IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

• 4 weeks later...

I'm listening to elseq 4 right now. I'm right in the middle of 7th Slip and I think I've never listened to elseq in the way I just did. I used to think about the music as "big" if that makes sense, maybe meant be be played really loudly in a really large hall or outside. But it also makes a lot of sense to listen to it like jazz, kind of. Those morphing beats are so tactile, you can almost see them coming out of the speakers

idk, they have different sounds. which is interesting, because both are enormous releases put out within only a couple years of each-other, and both were presumably made on the same set-ups. i've also been enjoying returning to elseq, post-nts, and it's like many or most of the songs would not fit on nts, and many or most nts tracks would not fit on elseq. elseq has like a drier, confined, mechanical feel, and the compositions are more direct. nts tracks have a more advanced sound quality, the compositions are darker and jazzier, and there are some new patches being used.

Edited by very honest

elsex

NTS 1-4 is really elsex 6-9

i thought this was common knowledge

I meant it as a stupid joke, like:

What if I told you: NTS 1-4 is really elSEX 69   ....   Grade-school humor fail

I don't really see NTS as elseq, just connected and part of the same continuum. It stands on it's own.

Edited by eczem

• 3 months later...

I don't think that every Ae release is better than the one before it, one after the other, after the other in a simple way so that the absolute newest thing is always the absolute best, but they are do get better and better, which I don't know how many bands you can say that about. I enjoy almost everything they've ever put out, not surprising considering they're my favourite band... But I do think that they've reached such jaw dropping, colossal heights in this decade that it's absolutely fucking staggering. I am fairly certain, that elseq 1-5 is going to remain my favourite of theirs. Oversteps doesn't sound that much like anything else (besides Move of Ten lol), but as far as I'm concerned, elseq expands on some ideas that were only begun to be hinted at on Exai, l-event, and Quaristice (even with all the bonus fun of Quaristice (versions) and the Quadranges).

The fact that some people can't listen to them post LP5 is still so incredibly sad to me. Even worse are those who only like Incunabula and Amber.

Oversteps doesn't sound that much like anything else (besides Move of Ten lol), but as far as I'm concerned, elseq expands on some ideas that were only begun to be hinted at on Exai, l-event, and Quaristice (even with all the bonus fun of Quaristice (versions) and the Quadranges).

The fact that some people can't listen to them post LP5 is still so incredibly sad to me. Even worse are those who only like Incunabula and Amber.

totally! the thing that blew my mind about elseq was definitely how it felt like an expansion of autechreland. it seems like they reached roughly their current 'power level' (i know) in terms of sound design, etc. at the beginning of the 2010s, and since then have mainly just explored its possibilities further and further. expanding outward more than moving forward maybe.

to me lp5 is a more disappointing cutoff than amber lol

How is it more disappointing? Sonically, maybe? But for me the people who cut off at Amber are especially irksome because it's only the 'chre's second album

yeah that makes sense, those people are just flat out missing out on a bigger chunk of their music. but still. with people who just like incunabula and amber it's like 'ok, it's just that you prefer relatively simple, conventional music and aren't really interested in ae's idiosyncrasies" (not trying to imply that those albums are bad, of course). whereas lp5ers are sort of interested in Ae at their more experimental/idiosyncratic but won't follow the lads' artistic journey very far. it's like someone who doesn't want to go exploring vs someone who sort of wants to but won't go more than 500 feet away from their house.

(anyways that's just my dumb, uncommitted opinion. not trying to personally attack anyone lol)

Edited by Guest

I get the feeling the delivery of elseq is the reason some people are stuck on it (ie like everything that came before AND NTS).

Like, maybe their attitudes towards it would be different if it was dropped like Quadrange. elseq 1 released in May, elseq 2 released in June...etc

i hardly touched the elseq's and i feel like i'm missing out, they got too much damn good music

i'v fallen in love more then ever before with confield recently and i got that album like 15 years ago

best fuckin band ever

• 2 weeks later...

nah I'd say the last part at least is onset, like the onset of a virus/plague

Arf, my english is so bad sorry

More, I thought set kinda means stage, and imagined one of r&s having sex on stage in the pitch black, lol

idk, they have different sounds. which is interesting, because both are enormous releases put out within only a couple years of each-other, and both were presumably made on the same set-ups. i've also been enjoying returning to elseq, post-nts, and it's like many or most of the songs would not fit on nts, and many or most nts tracks would not fit on elseq. elseq has like a drier, confined, mechanical feel, and the compositions are more direct. nts tracks have a more advanced sound quality, the compositions are darker and jazzier, and there are some new patches being used.

Interesting. I'm still digesting NTS (probably will be doing so for several years), but I prefer Elseq at this point (which I'm still digesting as well). Regarding their different sounds, I remember reading an interview where one of the Autechre guys said that mixing-wise, the AE_Live stuff was more up front (which I assumed he meant in terms of front-to-back depth and gain staging), while with NTS they were trying to do 'deep mixing'. Not 100% sure what that means, but maybe this helps narrow down the sonic differences between the two projects. 

nah I'd say the last part at least is onset, like the onset of a virus/plague

Arf, my english is so bad sorry

More, I thought set kinda means stage, and imagined one of r&s having sex on stage in the pitch black, lol

lol