IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

Guest WNS000

Most posts still = jev

Most depressed still = jev

Theory holding true, data backs up hypothesis, will write paper soon

Can I be your opponent when you finish your work?

unless im mistaken, this is like the ae_live release - a lot of tracks, way more than would be on any album, and not as curated and more for 'hardcore' listeners since a lot of people have been wanting it for ages. i think it can be judged in that context, it is a lot to take in at once, but also really awesome for those who like it. personally i like the cut down album best, the one that goes in the discography and gets its own sound / whatever. although this has ALOT of great shit. mindbend

Edited by coax

For those who bought 24-WAV, did it come with the mp3 versions, too (like AE-Live)?

yep, you get any format with the 24-wav purchase.

today, i love earth and space.

no shit. foldfree. "spread youzr wings and flyy awayy"

Edited by jaderpansen

Guest WNS000

Jev you're a real buzzkill bro

This. I appreciate your opinions Jev but this is supposed to be a thread about circlejerky autechre jizzing and you're stinkin' up the place with your negativity.

[insert five paragraph rant here]

I am on it.

OK. Will not spoil your group masturbation any longer. Just clean it up after you are finished.

Edited by Jev

ehhhhh ... just like cleaned-up versions of their live sets, which I already have a billion of? I dunno man. $33 is literally highway robbery imo, but the quality is high. I guess I'd buy if it came out as a physical release

Not if you consider that it's over 4 hours of music... many albums are 45 mins or less and sell for $10 no problem. Personally, I don't care WHAT they charge... new ae is new ae,

Just hypothetically speaking (and not dissing Ae because I love them and they are really committed): if you got 4 hours of pink noise for 33 dollars would you base your argument on runtime?

lol no of course not, but this ain't pink noise

Sure but if the release contains a 27 minute track that you really dislike then those 27 minutes basically gets reduced to the pink noise, no (I like the pink noise in the background though haha)?

The example of the 27 minute long track was taken from the guy (not remembering the name) who expressed his disappointment with the lack of progression in the track. Not my rating.

I've only heard the first release so no comment on the 27-min track, but you can listen to everything on the store before purchase... so really you could just purchase the ones you thought were worth it. Not really sure why this is even a discussion.

Guest WNS000

ehhhhh ... just like cleaned-up versions of their live sets, which I already have a billion of? I dunno man. $33 is literally highway robbery imo, but the quality is high. I guess I'd buy if it came out as a physical release

Not if you consider that it's over 4 hours of music... many albums are 45 mins or less and sell for $10 no problem. Personally, I don't care WHAT they charge... new ae is new ae,

Just hypothetically speaking (and not dissing Ae because I love them and they are really committed): if you got 4 hours of pink noise for 33 dollars would you base your argument on runtime?

Sure but if the release contains a 27 minute track that you really dislike then those 27 minutes basically gets reduced to the pink noise, no (I like the pink noise in the background though haha)?

The example of the 27 minute long track was taken from the guy (not remembering the name) who expressed his disappointment with the lack of progression in the track. Not my rating.

I've only heard the first release so no comment on the 27-min track, but you can listen to everything on the store before purchase... so really you could just purchase the ones you thought were worth it. Not really sure why this is even a discussion.

You can play only snippets of the tracks and then you have to choose another part of the preview to listen to more because it stops playing, no? Or do I do something wrong? I mean I am not sure if I can handle previewing long tracks like that :-))

You can play only snippets of the tracks and then you have to choose another part of the preview to listen to more because it stops playing, no? Or do I do something wrong? I mean I am not sure if I can handle previewing long tracks like that :-))

Yeah it just plays a portion at a time (I think about a min), but when it stops you just click where it paused to continue, then repeat. It's annoying, but I've sampled tons of full tracks that way on Bleep. I'll agree though, it kinda kills the momentum for long tracks when you do that. They always sound way better as a continuous stream into your brain.

Yo I'm on Jev's side. Just because it's four hours doesn't mean it's really two times more content than Exai which is two hours. Not a lot of these tracks have so much progression that like a twenty minute track here is worth twice a ten minute track off Exai. You know what I mean? Exai has 17 tracks and this one has 21, so I would say it's closer to 20% more content rather than 100%. Do you guys really feel like "eastre" should have been a twenty minute song? Just because something is good doesn't mean it should be longer. "Pen Expers" is one of Autechre's best, but would you still like it if it had the same progression but was 25 minutes instead?

Also to all you people who are saying I am too quick to judge: you're right. This is all being said knowingly that my opinion may drastically change over the next few days. These are just first impressions, and I think talking about first impressions can be fun and valuable :)

Anyone else gonna take these 1 or 2 at a time? I'm planning on just hearing the first 2 through this weekend to really dive deep in them. Then maybe 3 & 4 for next week. I don't know... it's just such an overload I wanna make this last a little bit.

First I want to say how I absolutelly loved 'spaces how V'. It's incredible how they turned the very best part from the Oversteps Tour (my favourite work from ae) patch into something almost like an orchestra epic. Full of moments of space and increasing complexity... perfect!

Also, Jev, I understand your point about the non-fleshed out tracks and their length without much narrative changes. That is why I was looking a lot to albums like Draft or untilted which bring very detailed narrative these days. But I must say, elseq is tremendously worth the penny, even to these standards. it's certainly more fluid, though. Also, i don't know if i read it somewhere but i remember sean & rob trying to give their answer to low-attention-span culture and all that. And from a musical research standpoint, It's also interesting as something we're not quite used to.