IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

Guest WNS000

Elseq will capture all of you. you have no chance. You too, Jev. Matter of time. When will you stop listening with analytical intent, when you will lower the defenses, Elseq will take you behind and you'll can do nothing. I was caught last night, suddenly. There is no way back.

I would never deliberately listen without analytical intent. That would be just fooling oneself that a product is amazing even if it is not (hypothetically, as I believe it is really good but I am not sure about all the tracks).

Maybe you, but at first I had an analytical approach, I was focused on the details, trying to find the relations between melodies and percussion, expecting a possible metamorphosis eccetera. Then - after I do not know how many plays - started doing other things, I felt overpower be something huge. All things have been clear. We all know how it is premature to judge Ae after only three days, but a feeling so powerful, pervasive and rapid, I never had it in the past. It seems to me that they have set a new standard.

If macro works for you, that is great. It doesn't work for me. I dislike shallow listening because I hate being disillusioned when I find out about something I dislike in the details (that infamous Surripere part comes to mind instantly)...

It is like with people. Most of them can be friendly and cool from time to time but only when you live with them and share all those small nuances and details in the context you will truly find out who they are and how well/bad you feel with them. Details absolutely matters to me. They always have.

Guest WNS000

so are you content in having a fixed subjective musical interpretation of what sounds 'good' and 'bad' or do you leave room open for your interpretation to be changed?

I have some taste currently and the music I listen to has to fit in that taste, obviously. My taste naturally changes though so it is definitely open. However, there seem to be some stable elements in my taste that doesn't seem to change too much.

re: Jev, people/music analogy (sorry) -- with people, you're not analyzing every little thing during each interaction. there are so many variables at play.. familiarity with their 'ticks' and "nuances" develops over time... why make it into such a formal exercise? what is wrong with playing a video game while listening to this stuff? it enhances the experience. plus, some people naturally catch details while they're not fully focused on the thing.. passive listening can open up channels, indeterminately

Edited by barbara planar

Guest WNS000

well 'autist' is what the 'au' in 'autechre' stands for innit :biggrin::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq::mu-ziq:

lol, yeah.

I mean, I don't give a shit about so many things in life. I ignore so much stuff. But if there is something that really makes use of my ADHD, it is AE and Drukqs drill tracks. I listen to timbers, I listen to rhythms (I am extremely sensitive to "wrong" swing in grooves or if peaks/transients of drums are too low or too high, it really influences rhythmic properties of music), I listen to everything and it is gorgeous if it all works. Best feeling in the world.

I simply analytically enjoy music. There is a content and I want to hear it all if possible (not possible I know). What is wrong with that if the content matters? I am not satisfied hearing macro only. I am satisfied hearing micro and connecting it to macro. That was always the main reason why I enjoyed AE and some Drukqs material so much. Those incredibly detailed compositions with all those mutually interconnected elements creating amazing compositions - therefore creating amazing music, creating a final context. Every single piece of the music matters. If I can hear "mistakes" or stuff I don't like, they are still there and I hear them and that eventually influences my final emotion from the music. I think, guys, you misunderstand what analytical listening means in my context. I have a very good music memory (unfortunately) and once I find out about something I dislike it is there to stay. If there are elements that I can hear, those elements has to be good. Simple as that. What is wrong with it? Are you all listening to the music only on your way to work when sitting in a bus? I am not.

perhaps I expressed myself badly. I for one, have an analytical approach. Analytical point of obsession. And I did not say to deliberately listen without analytical approach. I said that, in the specific case of Elseqo, the music caught me suddenly when, after several hours of listening, I got distracted. it is as if I had been struck by a vision of the whole, that, when I was attentive to detail, I could not have. Now, I can go back to analytic listening, and it is easier, because, after I left to go to the sound stream, I feel more familiar with it. I repeat: it's not a deliberate intent, it just happened. It could happen to you too, who can say.

Guest WNS000

re: Jev, people/music analogy (sorry) -- with people, you're not analyzing every little thing during each interaction. there are so many variables at play.. familiarity with their 'ticks' and "nuances" develops over time... why make it into such a formal exercise? what is wrong with playing a video game while listening to this stuff? it enhances the experience. plus, some people naturally catch details while they're not fully focused on the thing.. sometimes passive listening can open up channels, indeterminately

With everything that you experience repeatadely you gradually gather more and more details. People, music, everything. Everything interconnects consciously and unconsciously.

Passive listening is cool in my book. What is not cool in my book is rating music after passive listening. A passive listener cannot recommend music to an analytical listener whereas analytical listener can recommend music to a passive listener with a chance that the passive listener will gradually find out at least part of what is so good about the recommended music. Macro doesn't offer much longevity because inevitably the brain gets bored. Brain needs to be engaged if longevity is what you are after. I am into longevity so I prefer music I can listen to for years and enjoy all the perfection the artists put in. I am not into "consuming" music. I am into living with it if that makes sense. I tend to create really strong relationship with my favourite music so it really hurts if there is something that spoils the relationship after a promising start, so to speak.

I also absolutely hate when people lower their standards in order to create an illusion of being satisfied with something. That is something I truly despise (I am not saying anybody here does it though, I am just trying to make my POV clear).

Guest WNS000

I simply analytically enjoy music. There is a content and I want to hear it all if possible (not possible I know). What is wrong with that if the content matters? I am not satisfied hearing macro only. I am satisfied hearing micro and connecting it to macro. That was always the main reason why I enjoyed AE and some Drukqs material so much. Those incredibly detailed compositions with all those mutually interconnected elements creating amazing compositions - therefore creating amazing music, creating a final context. Every single piece of the music matters. If I can hear "mistakes" or stuff I don't like, they are still there and I hear them and that eventually influences my final emotion from the music. I think, guys, you misunderstand what analytical listening means in my context. I have a very good music memory (unfortunately) and once I find out about something I dislike it is there to stay. If there are elements that I can hear, those elements has to be good. Simple as that. What is wrong with it? Are you all listening to the music only on your way to work when sitting in a bus? I am not.

perhaps I expressed myself badly. I for one, have an analytical approach. Analytical point of obsession. And I did not say to deliberately listen without analytical approach. I said that, in the specific case of Elseqo, the music caught me suddenly when, after several hours of listening, I got distracted. it is as if I had been struck by a vision of the whole, that, when I was attentive to detail, I could not have. Now, I can go back to analytic listening, and it is easier, because, after I left to go to the sound stream, I feel more familiar with it. I repeat: it's not a deliberate intent, it just happened. It could happen to you too, who can say.

Oh, I see! I absolutely understand then. I have these moments too. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to see the whole picture, right? Then, when you know the general context, you can start digging deeper. Yeah, absolutely. It is a natural process. You start macro and continue micro.

I guess I too have problems to express what I really mean. I am definitely not listening to individual hihat's hits when checking songs for the first time. lol

Edited by Jev

From those writeups jev, I feel like one has to listen to ae in 'micro' to enjoy it. I mean it's all about the details, if one loses focus for even a few seconds it can get confusing to get back into it. Also timing is really important, so like if one skips around a lot in a track, you would miss the buildup of tension and the structure. and yeah i find elements i don't like too and it can ruin a track

Guest WNS000

From those writeups jev, I feel like one has to listen to ae in 'micro' to enjoy it. I mean it's all about the details, if one loses focus for even a few seconds it can get confusing to get back into it. Also timing is really important, so like if one skips around a lot in a track, you would miss the buildup of tension and the structure. and yeah i find elements i don't like too and it can ruin a track

Absolutely. Glad you feel it the same. I was starting to get worried about my mental health. lol

Also timing is really important, so like if one skips around a lot in a track, you would miss the buildup of tension and the structure. and yeah i find elements i don't like too and it can ruin a track

Which is exactly why the previews on the bleep store aren't really telling me if the music is worth buying. I need to sit through it repeatedly and carefully before deciding.

Edited by Jev

Just pirate them to begin with ;P im pretty sure they will be worth your money though, judging from what ive seen you write, a lot to dig into here

Guest WNS000

Yeah, I mean if there is one long track I dislike it will still be worth buying. It is a very rare occasion for AE to left me disappointed.

it's like, why not listen to the music then? all of this exposition feels like basic common sense... except the part where you realised something else was happening in Surripere, something that severely disillusioned you somehow, as if the music is supposed to be this perfect thing, and there's no chance that you could somehow apply those attributes of the flawless illusion you once held in the past, to something else down the road? i don't understand how it is so disappointing.

Absolutely. Glad you feel it the same. I was starting to get worried about my mental health. lol

Also timing is really important, so like if one skips around a lot in a track, you would miss the buildup of tension and the structure. and yeah i find elements i don't like too and it can ruin a track

Which is exactly why the previews on the bleep store aren't really telling me if the music is worth buying. I need to sit through it repeatedly and carefully before deciding.

Why are you even in this thread then

You don't know if it's even worth buying? Wtf

Guest WNS000

it's like, why not listen to the music then? all of this exposition feels like basic common sense... except the part where you realised something else was happening in Surripere, something that severely disillusioned you somehow, as if the music is supposed to be this perfect thing, and there's no chance that you could somehow apply those attributes of the flawless illusion you once held in the past, to something else down the road? i don't understand how it is so disappointing.

The music I buy has to be as flawless as possible in the given context. It is hard to define because it is my subjective thing and I can overcome some "mistakes" easier than others. Dunno what else to say really. I can't force myself into feeling that those bits I really disliked were actually OK. Can you do that? I can't. Impossibru.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

Why are you even in this thread then

You don't know if it's even worth buying? Wtf

I am simply very interested in discussing my favourite artists and in your opinions on the new release.

The music I buy has to be as flawless as possible in the given context. It is hard to define because it is my subjective thing and I can overcome some "mistakes" easier than others. Dunno what else to say really. I can't force myself into feeling that those bits I really disliked were actually OK. Can you do that? I can't. Impossibru.

Can you listen to a piece of music, be floored/stimulated by certain parts or elements, and also be disappointed (by possible "mistakes"), or not fully understand other parts of the same piece of music? Can you accept that it can be several things without fully adhering to some insane criteria?

I get where Jev is coming from. I can be watching a movie and be feeling it strong and then something lacking in any aesthetic wisdom pops up and I'm like fuck it, not watching. Also the same in music when I can't stop myself from feeling a certain aesthetic decision is completely impermissible. But at the same time I take every cringe I meet and ask myself "why?" and then try to power through it.

Guest WNS000

Can you listen to a piece of music, be floored/stimulated by certain parts or elements, and also be disappointed (by possible "mistakes"), or not fully understand other parts of the same piece of music? Can you accept that it can be several things without fully adhering to some insane criteria?

I can listen to a piece of music, and be floored/stimulated by certain parts or elements and be confused (not fully understanding) by other parts. Totally. No problem. I would even say I enjoy the confusing parts. It feels fresh.

But the moment the truly disappointing parts come (not confusing but simply bad, wrong, shallow, plainly uninspired, badly produced, completely missing my taste, boring to death, whatever) the whole context is damaged.

Or do you think most of my disappointment comes solely from not understanding the parts and that everything I dislike is simply me being confused? Can you explain?

Guest WNS000

I get where Jev is coming from. I can be watching a movie and be feeling it strong and then something lacking in any aesthetic wisdom pops up and I'm like fuck it, not watching. Also the same in music when I can't stop myself from feeling a certain aesthetic decision is completely impermissible. But at the same time I take every cringe I meet and ask myself "why?" and then try to power through it.

Absolutely sharing this feelings. Also with movies (they tend to be even more prone to "mistakes", mainly if there is an instruction from a produced to do a naive happy end whereas a sad end would be more fitting and vice versa).

Or do you think most of my disappointment comes solely from not understanding the parts and that everything I dislike is simply me being confused? Can you explain?

no, the emphasis is on disappointing elements or parts.. did not mean to imply you're turned off or annoyed by parts that might not be fully understood at first.

Edited by barbara planar

Guest WNS000

no, the emphasis is on disappointing elements or parts.. did not mean to imply you're turned off or annoyed by parts that might not be fully understood at first.

OK, so my last answer to you stands unchanged. I usually can't really take individual songs as a grocery store and pick only the bits I like from them. I mean, I can in some cases (usually with music I have no that strong relationship to) but the stronger the music is the more the mistakes hurt in the end.

Oh, I see! I absolutely understand then. I have these moments too. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to see the whole picture, right? Then, when you know the general context, you can start digging deeper. Yeah, absolutely. It is a natural process. You start macro and continue micro.

I guess I too have problems to express what I really mean. I am definitely not listening to individual hihat's hits when checking songs for the first time. lol

In the case of elseq, then, consists of long passages and, in principle, without sudden changes of time, it was useful to grasp the whole direction of each track. Sure, at first listen you don't pay attention to a single item, but we can be very focused on the composition, and I, influenced by AE_LIVE, I was perched in the preconception of waiting for a progression or a metamorphosis: my analytical approach consisted mainly in this . The vision of the whole, however, suggested to me that Elseq was conceived according to different criteria, perhaps more instinctive, but extremely overwhelming if you can lower the "rational resistance", at least in the first instance. This does not mean that there areen't entire planets to be discovered in the Elseq Universe (hey! We are talking about Autechre in 2016!), For example, I am discovering the absurd progression of "pendulum hv moda" ... the progression is dedicated only to melodic aspects, so at first I did not recognize it: the rhythmic cadence remains unchanged, and this is misleading. But in "pendulu hv moda" the impossible happens. From 02:49 onwards there is an eruption of emotions without respite. None shall escape :ohmy: