IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

Elseq 4 is a masterpiece (up there with my very fav ae) and Elseq 1 and 5 are also dope. 2 and 3 put me to sleep - super bloated and forgettable, which sucks, considering they're weighing down some really good stuff otherwise. Just my opinion, obviously.

foldfree casual is like Quaristice, Oversteps, and Exai all smashed together and it's glorious.

lol @ alco

i agree with obel

guys i'm still trying to figure out oversteps.

i'm still trying to figure out lifestyles of the laptop cafe to be honest.

anyway this sounds good. I can dig it.

oh ffs, i hoped they've ditched that oversteps twinkly bullshit for good, but it rears its ugly head on spaces how V. still a pretty cool track.

ain't nobody hearing background elements from runrepik here? it's like the same bit of distressed melody..

Okay so I only focused on elseq 1 yesterday, and I focused on elseq 2 today. I can now say with much more confidence that I really love these two. I did express some disappoint on my first listen through earlier in this thread, but that was mostly in reference to songs from elseq 3 and onward, so I'm curious to see how I'll like those once I dig deeper. But yeah Autechre just sounds so clear and detailed here. The sound design is fantastic. So fun to listen to basically anything and pick out the details.

I was concerned with the length of "elyc6 0nset" after the first time I listened to it, but I'm beginning to get used to it. I was always fine with the first ten minutes; I love that part. But the last fifteen which have very minimal percussion and otherwise just a ton of glitch sounds seemed a bit iffy. I'm beginning to enjoy that part more. Even though it continues for so long, it never really repeats or gets old. It is just insanity for fifteen minutes, and it's a really cool exercise to listen to. The glitch sounds are so indistinct when layered together like that, but there still are very subtle progressions.

And wow not a lot of people have been talking about "c7b2" but that one is just unbelievable. It is so dense, so much going on. I think out of everything on 1 and 2, this track is the one that varies the most within its thirteen minutes. There are just so many different sounds, and you can never tell where they are coming from. It's so harsh in a really good way, and it just sounds so unique (like many other songs here).

And from elseq 1, I honestly love every song, but "feed1" and "curvcaten" are definitely favorites. Even if 3, 4, and 5 don't grow on me, I'm definitely very happy with just these two. And I remember I still liked about half of the tracks from 3, 4, and 5 anyway, so I'm excited to get back into those in the following week.

I like elseq. That said, if someone asked me why I probably wouldn't be able to answer in a way that satisfies. It's pretty inaccessible. Except for 5, which I find ambient and something to get lost in.

Guest bitroast

The second half of elyc6 0nset should've been like...a transition into two or three even longer tracks of rhythmic autechre glitch noise.

Edited by AutoLog StatCenter

for sure, I love the crazy chiptune freakout at the end

that said, the jump from a single fading tone into chimer 1-5-1 is pretty disconcerting, I love it

Edited by modey

How the hell do they make these tracks have so much space and room to breathe while simultaneously having like 50 layers of stuff going on at once?

Edited by Zeffolia

Guest bitroast

for sure, I love the crazy chiptune freakout at the end

that said, the jump from a single fading tone into chimer 1-5-1 is pretty disconcerting, I love it

chimer 1-5-1 is probably the one track i'd be willing to say i don't like.. not gonna post paragraphs about it tho :^)

How the hell do they make these tracks have so much space and room to breathe while simultaneously having like 50 layers of stuff going on at once?

Exactly.

I had the spectral analyser running for c7b2 and its :wang::blink::wtf:

^ that might be my favorite. just that underlying snare makes everything snap in like Legos. it's almost a traditional song until it malfunctions in the end.

Oh for fuck's sake!

There I was convincing myself on the basis of previewing the elseq EP's that it was all going to be Untilted-levels of inaccessible (please don't hate me when I say that album is nothing more than eight unbearable ice cream headaches to me), AND that it was just too expensive.

And what happens? I can't get the damn thing off my mind all weekend. I simply couldn't stop thinking about it. Then I read this entire thread and caved yesterday evening.

Good god, this thing is utterly incredible.

Untilted is everything I love about ae. I'm curious what your fav album is?

Having been a reader of this forum for quite a long time, I can completely understand that. For me, however, everything between 'Confield' and 'Quaristice' leaves me cold.

I suspect it will reveal far too much about what type of Autechre listener I am by saying that my favourite albums are:

• 'Incunabula' - I was old enough to be around when nobody had really heard of Autechre, and I was able to buy a brand-spanking-new copy of the silver vinyl edition because I was simply trusting that everything Warp released in the Artificial Intelligence series was going to be amazing.

• 'Oversteps' - For me their return to form after the clinical Confield+ era, for these reasons.

I'll understand if you want to throw me out of here now. ;-)

Edited by Jamesqdot

not a big fan of elseq 2 – having said that: this stuff works great, if you're in a bad mood. i was in a REALLY bad mood the last 2 days and and elyc6 0nset, chimer 1-5-1 and c7b2 totally sounded like i felt: angry, aimless and idiotic. loved it.

i still prefer single recks on or yjy ux to entire elseq 1-5.

wat. kill me

that's a very big statement. are you prepared to stand by this, sir?

elyc6 is totally a standout track, can't recall ae doing anything remotely like this before.

the way it completely disintegrates into sparse mess is super cool.

like it builds up this messed up whatever mood, then chimer, bam.

same with eastre into TBM2, works really well...

//

one idea I got from elseq is restraint, like elyc6 could have had more hi-fi processing applied or be bathed in reverb etc, or eastre could have a beat or transition into something else, but the 'chre I think left out major elements of certain tracks deliberately... Both sonically & structurally... so it's kind of stripped down "dub" skeletons where you can imagine they could have been taken to different places..

anyone tried to mix any elseq tracks..? maybe with other elseq tracks? elyc6 vs eastre..?

for me this is the best thing they've done since LP5/EP7, doesn't quite surpass those, and nowhere near as amazing as Chiastic Slide (though one of the reasons I like elseq so much is that it really reminds me of that at times, particularly the filter modulation on the synths, though here it's used in a more fragmentary manner). there have been individual tracks on the albums in between that I've loved, and I've liked the rest without feeling all that strongly about it, but I don't think any of the albums on the whole reach the heights they set in their middle period.

been listening to 3, 4 and 5 repeatedly over the last few days, mesh cinereal > acdwn2 > foldfree casual > latent call is an amazing progression of tracks, my favourite section of the release by far. need to listen to 5 more on it's own though, as I've been falling asleep to it and probably not got to the end much before conking out. then I'll go back over the first two again. still haven't listened to it from start to finish yet.