IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

the whole pricing discussion is so weird.

it reminds me of this talk i saw at pax, where the vlambeer guy (if you pay any attention to game dev networks u know who im talking about) was giving off the opinion that paying attention to price trends is a mistake. cos prices have the tendency to compete against each other and get lower and lower to be competitive. and it creates this weird precedent of needing to charge a certain amount of money for something, which you spent a ridiculous amount of time on. its like, you make a game that lasts ~1 hour to play, but you spend year+ working on it. market says you have to charge a small amount because of the length of the game or the market its on ( ie. console or mobile... physical or download etc etcetc). but ultimately, you have to charge what you think the product is worth.

if autechre are releasing a 5 part album that goes for 4 hours, and is perhaps being targeted more directly at the fans ( ie. less promotion, nichey long length of release scaring away more casual listeners), then it only makes sense for them to charge they think is appropriate, and to not follow any existing precedent. like, even if there WAS a precedent for charging digital only 4 hour/5 part albums, autechre are in no position to blindly follow it just because other people are charging a low value amount. artists have the right to charge whatever the fuck they see fit for their work.

but they don't have a really clear idea on how many copies of this will be sold, so it's still pretty arbitrary. i guess they expect it to sell less than regular albums through warp with all the promotion and stuff so the price is higher, but then the burden on a single fan is bigger.
Aside from the initial setup costs of the net-shop and sending out an email, there have been no promotional costs for this release at all. And the only outside costs I can see are TDR drawing their circles and squares.

Fact / watmm do all the advertising work for them.

I would imagine Warp still take their cut of the cake as they probably pay the hosting fees, but with a release like this you would hope their is a higher % of profit versus a largely advertised / physical release.

So if there are less sales, hopefully it all still makes a decent profit and is worthwhile their time.

Edited by fletcher

the stephan mathieu comments are confusing to me. so he's saying that the price is fine if it weren't for the fact that the album is badly produced and sounds brickwalled and he has detected clipping?

I think he's complaining about the sample rate being too low rather than truncating the waveform (assuming we're talking about the comment that says "The fact that this stuff has been brick-walled by the limitations of the 44.1k rate has it sound heavily clipped. So, if your instruments will refuse to stop sounding at 22k, record at 96kHz, or use an EQ. Well, use an EQ and your audio may not sound as you want it to sound anymore. In case you, foljs have digested your Helmholtz you must have heard about harmonics and how they enhance each other. Why would harmonics outside the human hearing range not affect the stuff we can clearly hear?"). It sounds to me like he's heard the terms "brick-walled" and "clipped" and doesn't know what they mean but is trying to sound like he does by dropping them into a rant about sample rate. So I'm also rather confused to learn that this guy is apparently a musician.

at first i also thought he's talking bollocks because sampling rate and dynamic range/clipping are not directly related, but i think some of it actually makes sense. a sound with freqs extending beyond sampling rate/2 will send aliasing artifacts (and thus sound energy) into the actual spectrum within the sampling rate/2. and looking at the spectrums there's indeed a lot of shit going on at the very maximum frequency of 22khz. it's actually pretty funny because i'm sure most of us in the 30's and autechre themselves with their degree of hearing damage due to being musicians and doing a lot of loud shows can't probably hear above ~14khz.

Mathieu's bit about "Why would harmonics outside the human hearing range not affect the stuff we can clearly hear?" doesn't make sense though, they simply don't affect the sound we hear, it's the aliasing artifacts that do.

this is probably my fav ae since quaristice, which is my fav ae ever. kinda wish they would trim it down to 100 minutes or something. i know its heresy but i'd much rather have a tight album i can go through in one sitting than nearly 5 hours i have to scatter across my everyday activities. it's just overwhelming to absorb if you're planning to listen to anything beside autechre for the rest of your life.

i hope they won't go physical because i will 100% buy it and it will probably bankrupt me.

this is probably my fav ae since quaristice, which is my fav ae ever. kinda wish they would trim it down to 100 minutes or something. i know its heresy but i'd much rather have a tight album i can go through in one sitting than nearly 5 hours i have to scatter across my everyday activities. it's just overwhelming to absorb if you're planning to listen to anything beside autechre for the rest of your life.

i hope they won't go physical because i will 100% buy it and it will probably bankrupt me.

yeah when I've fully listened to each release on its own I'll probably put together a mega playlist consisting of elseq 1, chimer 1-5-1, elseq 4 and elseq 5 (assuming 5 is as good as 4 and 1). not saying the 20-30 minute tracks are necessarily bad, but I have a short attention span lol

Pure speculative nonsense here, but I'd be really interested to hear them do an 80 minute album version of this, just to understand the process. Like hearing AE_LIVE trimmed down to elseq, then trimmed down to a single album. It'd be like understanding how they work in the studio, taking hours of mad ideas and turning them into a cohesive album. I know Quaristice / Quadrange was similar, but this would be the next step in that.

Just a thought.

"AE_LIVE trimmed down to elseq"

to me it's the other way round, more like AE_live extended...

heavy 90's-frippertronic-vibes @ the end of pendulu hv moda!

Guest bitroast

if this is aelive extended .. then where's all the acoustic physical modelling sounding folk idm ???

it's just overwhelming to absorb if you're planning to listen to anything beside autechre for the rest of your life.

That's a pretty big if.

There's definitely some ghosts of prior albums in here

foldfree has those lovely waterlogged percussion sounds from Pir

7th slip the melody actually reminds me a bit of of Foil

AE_live and elseq seem to stem from a different set-up than Exai.

More as if they were done completely within one system or patch - didn't sean hint at the process in one of the recent interviews?

Sounds to me like the product of a single form of synthesis (?) with very elaborate parameter-controlling /sequencing/ modulating whereas Exai sounds to me more varied in terms of timbres/ tonal colours, more as if they combined different sources back then.

With these new ones they seem to achieve a similar result but from just one source if that makes any sense...

btw - just find it interesting, not judging the quality of either release as i love all of 'em!

From what i read in AAA/interviews it all started from the Oversteps tour set-up, which was then adapted to in-board to create Exai (which was also produced with hardware, thus the 'richer'/more diverse sound palette).

Since that set-up was becoming impractical (in memory and inefficiency terms i guess) they spent 2013-2014 just revamping it so it could generate quality real time music without the aid of other software/hardware, the 'one source' thing you noted. So Ae_live was the first-borne of that self-sufficient system. Imo, comparing it to prior livesets, i find it quite simples in terms of rhythmic/melodic results, the sound is what matters (which is cool but i like the whole package). For me, elseq was a great surprise, because they developed that 'compositional' a which i found lacking from the new system, since they already had it stable and producing its own unique sound.

Edited by amad

To me it seems like a great deal! If these were all released separately, who wouldn't pay $10 a piece for them? They're almost like 5 albums... yeah I get that there are less tracks (but longer) so maybe less ideas than a regular album, but there's still tons of great content. Anyways, that's my take. And any new autechre release is so special to me that price really is not as issue.

Pure speculative nonsense here, but I'd be really interested to hear them do an 80 minute album version of this, just to understand the process. Like hearing AE_LIVE trimmed down to elseq, then trimmed down to a single album. It'd be like understanding how they work in the studio, taking hours of mad ideas and turning them into a cohesive album. I know Quaristice / Quadrange was similar, but this would be the next step in that.

Just a thought.

Great idea, the reverse of the Quaristice / Special / Quadrange grouping.

If they somehow managed to trim all this down to fit on one disc, it would be a pretty special trip but I don't know if it would manage to have the same impact.

Perlence sounds great on the Quaristice original album because thats the version I heard first. Somebody from watmm made a Perlence megamix which was about 23 minutes long and it was pretty fucking good actually; but there were lots of ideas floating around in that track that made it work.

There are strong connections between this release and the whole Quaristice... both in terms of format, some of the content and the artwork... people keep coming back to this comparison

Edited by amad

Whoever wrote the Wikipedia page for elseq 1-5 seems pretty sure that it constitutes their "twelfth studio album".

I mean I guess it doesn't matter ultimately. It's a ton of great music

if 'elseq' is their twelfth, then the album title must refer to the number 12 in some way

No it doesn't. How does Untilted refer to 8? Also even if it is meant to refer to 12, it might just be referring to the fact that it's the 12th EP like Move of Ten or L-Event.

But it's not the 12th because Warp has been careful in only referring to it as a "collection of new music."

Edited by ScaldedBorneo

if 'elseq' is their twelfth, then the album title must refer to the number 12 in some way

No it doesn't. How does Untilted refer to 8?

No they only do that for their odd numbered albums

eight = straight = untilted

No it doesn't. How does Untilted refer to 8?

No they only do that for their odd numbered albums

eight = straight = untilted

lmao you're nuts