IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

Just can't get this right now, will do as soon as I can. But today I clicked randomly on the first minute-or-so of acdwn2 via the autechrebleepstorethingymejiggy. That was enough. Big big AE sounds.

Edited by beerwolf

pendulu hv moda really is something else, when I listen I'm just waiting for those two awesome synths to come in and basically tell their own story. 2:52 and the huge one at 7:09, I can't get enough of them. In my top 5 for sure. So many mental images.

Listened to all of them in one go while sick. Very futuristic sounding and amazing. Really liked 7th slip and freuleaux. Couple of the tracks did sound like they went on for too long and got listener fatigue.

Sounded like there were bits of speech in "Oneum". I'm hoping that "Oneum" is "WATMM" spelled phonetically and its a sampled reading of the horrible posts in the subforum.

Edited by Entorwellian

pendulu hv moda really is something else, when I listen I'm just waiting for those two awesome synths to come in and basically tell their own story. 2:52 and the huge one at 7:09, I can't get enough of them. In my top 5 for sure. So many mental images.

i get these:

Oblivion_01.jpgoblivion-14.jpgRRI_0620_v031.1176.jpg?3c6e69

Guest totemcrackerjack

c7b2 is a behemoth. I can't even visualize anything with it, I just love the tour of timbres. Squelchy bass of all colours and flavors.

i get these:

Oblivion_01.jpg

totally get this man.

this is eastre for me:

Tom-Cruise-Mission-Impossible-Rogue-Nati

and this is feed1:

Edge-of-Tomorrow-Tom-Cruise1.jpg

Edited by eugene

Guest totemcrackerjack

elseq 1-5 is a scientology conspiracy designed to impregnate based cruise into our collective anii.

There it is. The Pitchforks have spoken: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21950-elseq-1-5/

imo "elseq" does not definitely sound like jams. this review is only echoing what lots of people on here have been taking for granted, that this release is autechre jamming or improvising or running software that's being controlled in real-time. it's certainly possible that this is true, or that at least some of the tracks employ such methods. but imo there is nothing about this music that is just so obviously "jams" like pitchfork and some peeps on this forum are suggesting and if it wasn't for the fact that sean has talked a lot about computers and spitting out albums in real time i'mnot sure what it is about this release that's justscreaming "this is just some edited jams by the electronica duo the 'chre."

fact is we have no real idea about autechre's compositional processes. and this seems like a fairly deliberately contrived mystery on their part; for all their willingness to discuss software stuff or how they make albums by pressing record and jamming away, they also seem to walk back many of these claims and insist tracks are made meticulously note by note or sean will get pissed and tell people they don't know what they're talking about when they employ the term "generative." personally, i don't think they're being mysterious to construct some cool idm identity, i just think they're artists who don't wish to be pinned down by cheap shop talk in lame interviews.

anyway, this pitchfork review is, unsurisingly, shit. there's no way some reviewer sat down, listened to 4 hours of autechre and just came to the conclusion that these are jams. the reviewer probably played elseq on his computer while browsing the internet to find things to write in his assignment and came up with "it's long" and "it's jams."

love this bit: "the Brown and Booths violent squelches."

(...) Progressions rather slow and not that abrupt as on their previous releases. (...)

this applies to pretty much their whole output up to untilted, tho. even on exai the average number of distinct "parts" per track was 2~3 max... meandering tracks with shitloads of microvariation is pretty much what autechre is (with obvious exceptions). this release is not particularly jammy imo.

'meandering tracks with shitloads of microvariation is pretty much what autechre is' exaclty same feelings, here! My point was that it might feel 'jammy' since I imagine that it's easier to handle microvariations then totally smasheverything (surripere or transition between 'FLeure' and 'Irlite (get 0)' are my favourite examples) and recreating sth new - remember everything in realtime!

On the other hand, who knows?! Maybe their soft is already so warped with patches that they can do whatever they want. Mix everything: rhythm, keys, reverb, structure at the spot, right off the bat...

Besides, great quote jader! It think we should compile a WATMMs review from snippets like this! It would set the standards high...

Edited by wredny

Honestly is anyone else out there doing music this complex/longform/engaging? The rest of my library is feeling boring stacked against it at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freuaelux or whatever it's called reminds me a lot of perlence losid 2 on quadrange. like the ghost of an old techno track or something. so interesting

I think my current fav is spaces how v. when those drums come in after 3:30 or so, bliss

nope

autechre have been forward thinking and their investment lets them accelerate further and further beyond everyone else in many respects.

Edited by very honest

On the topic of AE's mention that they were really close to being able to spit out an album in real-time, I kinda get the feeling that the tracks on elseq were largely spat out in a single go with very little revision/iteration there.

Obviously there is some amount of iteration in the patch design process, but there's a really improvisational feel to the tracks here, and coupled with their previous statement it makes me thing they spent the majority of the time setting up the patches, but when it came time to the record they just hit record and jammed them out akin to how they do their live sets.

Curious how others feel about this. Do you guys sense their meticulous iterative design has been pushed to the side in favor of the more emergent quality that their live setup can give their music?

(...) when it came time to the record they just hit record and jammed them out akin to how they do their live sets.

Curious how others feel about this.

on tracks like feed1, c7, eastre, TBM and pendulu c mayyybe... the rest? don't think so, no way in hell. i mean c'mon 13x0 is a fucking opera in itself...

I still haven't listened to all the tracks. I'm still stuck on my fave five. acdwn2, artov, pendulu, eastre & latentcall. It's hard to imagine it can get any better than those tracks! Gonna check out the rest tomorrow

(...) when it came time to the record they just hit record and jammed them out akin to how they do their live sets.

Curious how others feel about this.

on tracks like feed1, c7, eastre, TBM and pendulu c mayyybe... the rest? don't think so, no way in hell. i mean c'mon 13x0 is a fucking opera in itself...

non imo

I have gained a new respect for TBM2 which I had originally perceived as overly simplistic but I am hearing lots of strange things in the background (and even foreground) that I did not know existed before.

If they upped the volume or length on some of these things it would definitely make the track a lot more immediate sounding, but I actually think it was smart to keep things very restrained and subtle.

It kinda forces you to meet it half way and use your imagination to amplify what peeks through. Little mysteries keep poppin up to keep it fresh.

Edited by orchard disk

I have gained a new respect for TBM2 which I had originally perceived as overly simplistic but I am hearing lots of strange things in the background (and even foreground) that I did not know existed before.

If they upped the volume or length on some of these things it would definitely make the track a lot more immediate sounding, but I actually think it was smart to keep things very restrained and subtle.

It kinda forces you to meet it half way and use your imagination to amplify what peeks through. Little mysteries keep poppin up to keep it fresh.

Yep, the same thing happened with me and "TBM2" too. It might be one of their most subtle tracks. It's an interesting experiment. I'm still not sure how much it will pay off, but I certainly can agree that I hear new oddities all over the place with every new listen. Some of the things I didn't hear until like my third time listening seem to be so obvious now.