IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A question for people who enjoys TBM2:

Are you basing your opinion on actually sitting down with the music and fully concentrating on every second it has to offer without any other distractions (browsing web, cooking, driving a car, watching some visual stuff, looking around your room impatiently, doing drugs, drinking, talking with friends, playing games etc.)? Please be honest. Very interested.

I'm not sure who's really doing much listening to music under all those conditions unless they're trapped in a closet but I listened to it yesterday on a fairly isolated footbridge over a small river surrounded by fields and trees as my only distraction and it was pretty sweet there

I do. Soundtrack scenarios are not valid in my book when rating music (which is not to say that I don't listen to music in various conditions, I just don't rate it in such conditions).

So for visual stuff you mean some sort of visual entertainment or you have to close your eyes for rating?

That's a pretty scientific approach but I guess for rating purposes you have to be strict if you're actually going to try rank music against other music

I've never really seriously rated anything, I approach most music from an artistic/medicinal/metaphysical perspective, sometimes something might not grab me but 5 years later it could be my favourite album, but if I concentrate too much on it when I'm first hearing it it's easy for me to overthink it and be disappointed or overly satisfied only to be worn out on it after a month - when ICBYD first came out it sounded terrible but soon became a favorite, and I didn't realize the genius of Notorious B.I.G. until about 8 years after he was dead despite hearing him all the time starting in '93 - also took me years to like reggae/dub or jazz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you basing your opinion on actually sitting down with the music and fully concentrating on every second it has to offer without any other distractions (browsing web, cooking, driving a car, watching some visual stuff, looking around your room impatiently, doing drugs, drinking, talking with friends, playing games etc.)? Please be honest. Very interested.

<- exposed. if i wasn't so superficial i'd hate TBM, too.

Edited by jaderpansen

It's a cracking little track - Like trying to see how much differing melodic content you can create from just this one 4 second hippetyhoppety loop through comb filtering and other tricks

the mood and sound-design is stunning but after a while all was already presented

exactly. this is valid for a lot of tracks on elseq. it is quite different this time from anything actually else they've released at least since draft, or probably ever (i'm just not that familiar with their output 4th to the 6th lp). even subrange 6-36 had just enough unexpected substantial turns to sustain a sense of an evolving environment. so. i take elseq as collections of scattered and isolated ae_live satellites on various orbits, microworlds, some life-sustaining, some self-indulgent, some stillborn, some precious and enveloping, you name it.

Edited by leastconcern

It's a cracking little track - Like trying to see how much differing melodic content you can create from just this one 4 second hippetyhoppety loop through comb filtering and other tricks

Yes it's sort of like hip hop Plastikman, like Richie Hawtin and early DJ Vadim had a baby

Guest WNS000

I'm not sure who's really doing much listening to music under all those conditions unless they're trapped in a closet but I listened to it yesterday on a fairly isolated footbridge over a small river surrounded by fields and trees as my only distraction and it was pretty sweet there

I do. Soundtrack scenarios are not valid in my book when rating music (which is not to say that I don't listen to music in various conditions, I just don't rate it in such conditions).

So for visual stuff you mean some sort of visual entertainment or you have to close your eyes for rating?

That's a pretty scientific approach but I guess for rating purposes you have to be strict if you're actually going to try rank music against other music

I've never really seriously rated anything, I approach most music from an artistic/medicinal/metaphysical perspective, sometimes something might not grab me but 5 years later it could be my favourite album, but if I concentrate too much on it when I'm first hearing it it's easy for me to overthink it and be disappointed or overly satisfied only to be worn out on it after a month - when ICBYD first came out it sounded terrible but soon became a favorite, and I didn't realize the genius of Notorious B.I.G. until about 8 years after he was dead despite hearing him all the time starting in '93 - also took me years to like reggae/dub or jazz

Please note that my rating is completely personal and subjective. My rating is just rating in my head. I don't write reviews.

Yes, preferably if you can close your eyes and listen in a completely quiet and dark environment with as low amount of distractions as possible then that is the ideal for me to listen and rate music. But when closing eyes there is a risk of starting daydreaming about other things so if you can not stay sharp and awake I would not recommend closing your eyes.

Quiet environment, concentrating on only the music, no distractions what so ever. I have found out in my "experiments" that even small things like foot-tapping can lower boredom when listening to music and therefore foot-tapping (or similar things) while seriously listening to music is not recommended either. Basically, the music itself should be so good that you have no need to do anything else at all. For me, this is the ultimate test of music quality. Only the very best music works in such conditions.

You're trying too hard, manchild. This music clicks when you're thinking about something else. You could be doing anything, cooking, gaming, playing, but mainly thinking about something else and a track will suddenly make sense. Your mind isn't clear anyway, that EU threat is clogging up your mind every day.

I'm starting to like freulaeux more just now while i'm typing this message. Shows that I can type incredible, life changing messages + ''connect'' with a great new track in the background. Gonna cook a stir fry in an hour, by which point my appreciation of the track will decline due to my mind not being fully on it.

Please note that my rating is completely personal and subjective. My rating is just rating in my head. I don't write reviews.

Yes, preferably if you can close your eyes and listen in a completely quiet and dark environment with as low amount of distractions as possible then that is the ideal for me to listen and rate music. But when closing eyes there is a risk of starting daydreaming about other things so if you can not stay sharp and awake I would not recommend closing your eyes.

Quiet environment, concentrating on only the music, no distractions what so ever. I have found out in my "experiments" that even small things like foot-tapping can lower boredom when listening to music and therefore foot-tapping (or similar things) while seriously listening to music is not recommended either. Basically, the music itself should be so good that you have no need to do anything else at all. For me, this is the ultimate test of music quality. Only the very best music works in such conditions.

Ok good I understand the but what does all the testing get you in the end? Do you enjoy it more that way or just allows you to know which music you truly like better? If you find out that a certain track is personally and subjectively high quality, it doesn't prevent you from getting sick of that track if you listen to it too much because you didn't want to listen to "lesser" tracks -

I'm guessing like many of us you must be on a really delicate part of the "spectrum" :)

I would say that sometimes different environments or activities help me appreciate tracks that maybe I would have ignored, and then from then on they are permanently changed for the better - a song on a soundtrack might really grab you because of it's positioning in a movie, and after that you can't hear it the same way again

This doesn't mean that it wasn't a great track, but maybe you weren't able to judge it properly until a situation helped you to appreciate it properly

Again just my opinion and your process still has its merits, just too restrictive for my personal enjoyment and understanding of music

Guest WNS000

You're trying too hard, manchild. This music clicks when you're thinking about something else. You could be doing anything, cooking, gaming, playing, but mainly thinking about something else and a track will suddenly make sense. Your mind isn't clear anyway, that EU threat is clogging up your mind every day.

Don't agree. But please, don't bring the EU thread in Autechre thread. Thank you very much.

Good to read some critical posts, if I'm honest sometimes the ae group hugging and cock gobbling does my head in a bit

Edited by beerwolf

Guest WNS000

Ok good I understand the but what does all the testing get you in the end? Do you enjoy it more that way or just allows you to know which music you truly like better? If you find out that a certain track is personally and subjectively high quality, it doesn't prevent you from getting sick of that track if you listen to it too much because you didn't want to listen to "lesser" tracks -

I'm guessing like many of us you must be on a really delicate part of the "spectrum" :)

I would say that sometimes different environments or activities help me appreciate tracks that maybe I would have ignored, and then from then on they are permanently changed for the better - a song on a soundtrack might really grab you because of it's positioning in a movie, and after that you can't hear it the same way again

This doesn't mean that it wasn't a great track, but maybe you weren't able to judge it properly until a situation helped you to appreciate it properly

Again just my opinion and your process still has its merits, just too restrictive for my personal enjoyment and understanding of music

OK, so what I get from such listening. If the music is real quality, I usually get a huge emotional experience (sometimes worth crying or even screaming in euphoria). Some of the highly concentrated experiences can be pretty intense. Some long classical pieces are extremely moving.

Also, I have nothing against progressively absorbing new tracks through listening in various conditions. I do it all the time myself. I often listen to new music as a background to various activities until I get to know the music to a comfortable level. But I just leave my "final" opinion until I gave the music in question the ultimate test which is what I described. Am I clear now?

I mean who would watch an intense film while doing other activities? Music is no different to me. If I am serious about listening, nothing beats the method I have described.

Edited by WNS000

Guest WNS000

Of course, the "final" opinion is subject to change in small amounts but hardly ever in a "like vs dislike" way. The test of time can be quite long. Some music I adored in the past seems very badly produced and amateurish compared to what I listen to now. The skill and experience changes things.

I usually get a huge emotional experience (sometimes worth crying or even screaming in euphoria).

That's a broad spectrum of human emotions your feeling there. Sounds like you've been listening to Barry Manilow hits, not ae.

Guest WNS000

I usually get a huge emotional experience (sometimes worth crying or even screaming in euphoria).

That's a broad spectrum of human emotions your feeling there. Sounds like you've been listening to Barry Manilow hits, not ae.

No, the spectrum is actually huge. The "crying" and "screaming" are just there to express the amount of intensity it can sometimes reach. I was describing stuff with music in general. Specifically with Autechre it is much more cerebral with occasional "pure emotions" moments but nevertheless very satisfying in the end.

Edited by WNS000

There's no right way to listen to music. As much as I love a dedicated vinyl spin with headphones, sometimes it's even better blasting some tracks in the car or on a walk. I've had intense emotional responses and cried while driving to music plenty of times. Nothing wrong with synergy.

Of course, the "final" opinion is subject to change in small amounts but hardly ever in a "like vs dislike" way. The test of time can be quite long. Some music I adored in the past seems very badly produced and amateurish compared to what I listen to now. The skill and experience changes things.

Yes great point, the older I get the more I keep an open mind to music I hate at first, especially if I know it has a hardcore fan base -

It's just like with food, at first you think 'why would people eat anchovies or oysters' then you realize some of the most difficult tastes become the most satisfying once you appreciate them properly

Guest WNS000

There's no right way to listen to music. As much as I love a dedicated vinyl spin with headphones, sometimes it's even better blasting some tracks in the car or on a walk. I've had intense emotional responses and cried while driving to music plenty of times. Nothing wrong with synergy.

Surely you agree that more concentration means more potential to absorb more input, right?

Again, doing other stuff when listening to music can be great and intense but in such case you don't rate the music but the whole experience combined with the music. A hypothetical reviewer of the music would then had to say "this music is great and recommended when you drive a car". See?

I mean, "am I the only one here" (rhetoric) caring for the actual content of the music that an artist intended to present in some way? Don't you care to hear all that there is in a track? Artists usually compose their tracks within a context of deep concentration. In order to get the full picture (the full story if you like), you have to hear the context they tried to present - you have to concentrate.

If you don't concentrate on the story, you can not rate its plot - your info is incomplete.

Edited by WNS000

TBM2-

At first it comes across as just an incredibly simple and easily referenced beat, positioned pointblank front and center with not much else going on.

Then over time you come to realize that the obviousness of the beat was hiding many other things which after repeated listens slowly emerge as the real defining elements of the track.

It eventually becomes less and less 'we will rock you' and in fact becomes quite distinct from the initial listens.

That's my take on it anyways and I think it's a slick little maneuver.

Guest WNS000

TBM2-

At first it comes across as just an incredibly simple and easily referenced beat, positioned pointblank front and center with not much else going on.

Then over time you come to realize that the obviousness of the beat was hiding many other things which after repeated listens slowly emerge as the real defining elements of the track.

It eventually becomes less and less 'we will rock you' and in fact becomes quite distinct from the initial listens.

That's my take on it anyways and I think it's a slick little maneuver.

I actually hope it will reveal like this to me some day. Never against more quality experience with my loved AE.

So a tracks never clicked for you or started to make sense while you listened to it as "background" (for want of a better word) driving is a good example your muscle memory is mainly doing the work if your an experienced driver on a route you know and listening to music it can open it up in new ways

Though I also love deep listening focusing just on the music this isn't always the best or right way..ya get me??

Edited by kirm

Guest WNS000

So a tracks never clicked for you or started to make sense while you listened to it as "background" (for want of a better word) driving is a good example your muscle memory is mainly doing the work if your an experienced driver on a route you know and listening to music it can open it up in new ways

Though I also love deep listening focusing just on the music this isn't always the best or right way..ya get me??

My responses follows :-)

Also, I have nothing against progressively absorbing new tracks through listening in various conditions. I do it all the time myself. I often listen to new music as a background to various activities until I get to know the music to a comfortable level. But I just leave my "final" opinion until I gave the music in question the ultimate test which is what I described. Am I clear now?

and:

:-)

Edited by WNS000

I would say I don't give my final opinion till I've listened in a range of ways.. in fact I never give my final opinion on music am always open to my thoughts and feeling towards stuff changing

But like if I was some critic reviewer guy I would listen to it in the largest range of ways possible before writing up my review..

Guest WNS000

I would say I don't give my final opinion till I've listened in a range of ways.. in fact I never give my final opinion on music am always open to my thoughts and feeling towards stuff changing

But like if I was some critic reviewer guy I would listen to it in the largest range of ways possible before writing up my review..

I get that, and I am open too. It changes, as I have pointed.

I agree with the "largest range of ways possible" but one of them should be the way I have advocated for and I believe it should have the biggest priority because music is primarily for listening in my book.

nothing personal jev-o, but in this matter you sound terribly full of yourself (amongst other things). ironic you would seem to struggle for the "purest" state possible while listening, as if someone like you would ever be able to switch himself off...

your catechism of music reception reads like something out of gremlins ("don't feed past midnight"). apart from being pretty narrow minded it does not make a whole lot of sense.

anyway beerwolf is right, it's cool to have a party pooper to spice things up, tho with this stuff i'm not even sure if you're just taking the piss honestly. but please, do go on.

TBM2 is constantly shifting btw. if you wouldn't have been distracted by your foot / intestines / brain or whatevs while listening you'd know. ;P

Guest WNS000

nothing personal jev-o, but in this matter you sound terribly full of yourself (amongst other things). ironic you would seem to struggle for the "purest" state possible while listening, as if someone like you would ever be able to switch himself off...

your catechism of music reception reads like something out of gremlins ("don't feed past midnight"). apart from being pretty narrow minded it does not make a whole lot of sense.

anyway beerwolf is right, it's cool to have a party pooper to spice things up, tho with this stuff i'm not even sure if you're just taking the piss honestly. but please, do go on.

:-(

TBM2 is constantly shifting btw. if you wouldn't have been distracted by your foot / intestines / brain or whatevs while listening you'd know. ;P

;-)

as if someone like you would ever be able to switch himself off...

You are right, it takes me a lot of effort and I am able to do it only once in a while. Well spotted, man.