IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

Guest WNS000

Everything can be too loud in a pretty much sealed ear canal. I would love the noise insulation though.

yeah. these aren't 'sealed' really. just attenuate outside noise. i use these headphones for everything so the volume on my ipod lives in pretty much the same place all the time. it's easy to remember to check the volume before pressing play which is what i do before i press play on anything ever regardless of what it's plugged into ;)

A very good habit indeed. I try my best to do this ritual too (I also always try to turn the volume really down when I am finished listening so that it does not surprise me or anybody else borrowing the player) but sometimes I forget.

I've never had the problem of my headphones being too loud when changing between my AIAIAI headphones and audio technica canalphones; I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my phone can somehow detect the impedance of what's plugged in and saves settings for each..? since when I plug into external speakers I always set the volume on max, but then when I plug my headphones back in it goes back to what I had it on before.. unless it always resets to a default volume if it goes above a certain threshold.

I think I'm gonna have to invest in a pair of etymotic canalphones. My audio technicas are nice but I'm spoiled by the AIAIAIs sound.

i listen to most of my music via earphones while commuting to / from work.

for what it's worth, i found the soundspace of elseq to be far too brutal to listen to thru earphones.

it's something about either the mixing / mastering, or more likely, the software they are using to generate these tracks. you can tell their current setup was originally designed for live performance, because it has that real dry / up front / in your face sound ( like all of the AE_LIVE soundboards they released ) which is ideal in a live venue.

luckily, i found an iOS music player that has a crossfeed function: Neutron (also available for Android). i turn the crossfeed on when listening to elseq & it really helped smooth out some of that brittle, ultra high frequency sound.

i like this abstract stuff they are doing lately but i am REALLY burned out on the AE_LIVE / elseq sound at this point. i would love to see AE get back to using hardware along with their crazy sequencing /event generating setup because i think it could majorly benefit from a richer soundscape (see the Oversteps tour recordings as an example).

people who listen thru speakers might disagree, but try listening to this stuff thru headphones & earphones. i've found it really fatiguing in a way that most other music is not, and i've never been one to be bothered by prolonged headphone listening (in fact, i much prefer it to listening thru speakers).

:shrug:

Guest WNS000

The only problem I have with elseq on headphones is sometimes too aggressive mids and highs and too wide stereo image for headphones for rhythmical elements which is quite distracting. Other than that I got used to it and it's cool but I prefer muddiness and more narrow image of Exai and Draft.

i listen to most of my music via earphones while commuting to / from work.

for what it's worth, i found the soundspace of elseq to be far too brutal to listen to thru earphones.

it's something about either the mixing / mastering, or more likely, the software they are using to generate these tracks. you can tell their current setup was originally designed for live performance, because it has that real dry / up front / in your face sound ( like all of the AE_LIVE soundboards they released ) which is ideal in a live venue.

luckily, i found an iOS music player that has a crossfeed function: Neutron (also available for Android). i turn the crossfeed on when listening to elseq & it really helped smooth out some of that brittle, ultra high frequency sound.

i like this abstract stuff they are doing lately but i am REALLY burned out on the AE_LIVE / elseq sound at this point. i would love to see AE get back to using hardware along with their crazy sequencing /event generating setup because i think it could majorly benefit from a richer soundscape (see the Oversteps tour recordings as an example).

people who listen thru speakers might disagree, but try listening to this stuff thru headphones & earphones. i've found it really fatiguing in a way that most other music is not, and i've never been one to be bothered by prolonged headphone listening (in fact, i much prefer it to listening thru speakers).

:shrug:

Myself and a few others definitely noticed the same and have similar issues with enjoyment because of how contained/restrained the soundscape is on this release. This was discussed towards the beginning of this thread. My only solution is to basically replicate the live situation...as in blast the tracks, loud, through my studio monitors or my in my car. The volume starts to open up the listening experience partly for elseq, but works much better for AE_LIVE sets, unsurprisingly. As far as anyone knows, elseq was not mastered, and I personally think this hurt the experience partly. Many others have no issues with the sound of the release, but you're surely not the only one thinking the way you stated. Edited by auxien

Guest WNS000

As AE clearly stated in their AAA, they don't let mastering engineers change their sound a lot (apart from some bass roll-offs). I doubt that mastering of elseq would create a big difference. This is how they wanted the record to sound.

Edited by WNS000

Guest WNS000

. As far as anyone knows, elseq was not mastered

Read my post again, I don't disagree with that particular point.

I was reacting to your "and I personally think this hurt the experience partly".

Edited by WNS000

^point taken, though I'd disagree. I think mastering could've corrected some of the things that negatively affect its sound, imo: openness, punch, and level issues.

Guest WNS000

I don't think so, mate. Mastering cannot revert most of mixing decisions. The compression and limiting are obviously deliberate decisions by AE. You would have to remix the tracks in order to fix what you are talking about.

Also, what level issues?

I don't think so, mate. Mastering cannot revert most of mixing decisions. The compression and limiting are obviously deliberate decisions by AE. You would have to remix the tracks in order to fix what you are talking about.

Also, what level issues?

Yeah, they chose to release it as is, and undoubtedly made the deliberate decision to either 'master' it themselves or just not worry about it at all, but I simply think someone else mastering the release could've pointed out what, to my ears, sounds like flaws. If they're not flaws to AE then all's well, I just don't like some aspects of elseq. Nbd.

But mastering can affect the things I mentioned, at least in some cases, at least partly.

The level issue specifically: elseq usually sounds weak and lacking at lower (re: not loud) volumes. Dynamics (not entirely a level issue) are weak compared to nearly everything else they've released, imo. And then, there's the clipping...

Mexican Sequencers

lol

juan & roberto

autechero

el seq, mi madre!

lol forgot about that

el%20seq.png

​Understood, mate. Dynamics are certainly more compressed than usual for AE.

Agreed sir.

Mexican Sequencers

lol

juan & roberto

autechero

el seq, mi madre!

lol forgot about that

el%20seq.png

FLOL best cover, can tDR print that shit up with the words embossed? Would pay $80.

Does anyone else think that 7th slip sounds like how it feels to become aware of one's own breathing while on acid?

Idk what you're talking about with the breathing, but now that I listen to 7th slip looking for acid-like qualities it sure reminds me of what it's like when your thoughts literally echo through your head on acid along with that weird timestretch feeling where you hear a low hum as a response to stuff. idk how to explain

​Understood, mate. Dynamics are certainly more compressed than usual for AE.

Agreed sir.

Mexican Sequencers

lol

juan & roberto

autechero

el seq, mi madre!

lol forgot about that

el%20seq.png

FLOL best cover, can tDR print that shit up with the words embossed? Would pay $80.

i cant breathe

Edited by Zeffolia

Mexican Sequencers

lol

juan & roberto

autechero

el seq, mi madre!

lol forgot about that

el%20seq.png

:cisfor:

*imagines intense accordion arpeggiation Autechero stayle*