IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

does this Taylor Deupree track at 01:20ish sound very similar to c16 deep tread around 08:00 or what?

might b coincidence (or just me) or a nod to ?

pendula hv moda makes me feel like I am in aruba on the one side of the island that is just cliffs and stuff.  great view, scenery etc.  I am with some woman who just got me really baked.  she is stunning.  I am driving an suv . we get out to take it all in.  I slam the door and just keep slamming it cuz the seatbelt is in the way. just keep slamming the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPAF9nc8XKw&feature=youtu.be

wtf happened at :02???

also lol

pendula hv moda makes me feel like I am in aruba on the one side of the island that is just cliffs and stuff.  great view, scenery etc.  I am with some woman who just got me really baked.  she is stunning.  I am driving an suv . we get out to take it all in.  I slam the door and just keep slamming it cuz the seatbelt is in the way. just keep slamming the door.

also lol

A cow got its teats shut in the door, obvs

So far Oniom and pendulu casual are my most listened to tracks and the two I always find myself coming back to.

Perhaps one day when I'm half senile and have a mechanical heart etc. I'll be able to properly appreciate tracks like elcy6, mesh. But right now they are just too long to justify. Even when I'm in the right mood for it, I find myself just getting bored with it pretty quick. What is the idea behind making them so long with such little variation? Variation of course being something Autechre otherwise normally excel at. Are they getting too old, is some form of lazyness setting in now they've finally found the sound they were searching for? I hope they get hungry again for next release and resume making music together in the same room as opposed to sending material back and forth.

Perhaps one day when I'm half senile and have a mechanical heart etc. I'll be able to properly appreciate tracks like elcy6, mesh.... What is the idea behind making them so long with such little variation?

I must've accidentally downloaded different versions of elyc6 0nset and mesh cinereaL as each of mine have 25 minutes of constantly evolving changes that keep me entranced for half an hour at a time !

Elseq (and to a lesser degree Exai) has had a reverse aeffect on me. I liked it on release, but my enjoyment of it dwindled steadily. There just isn't that certain something that's in all their releases up until and including Oversteps. Is it just me?

Even now I can go back and listen to tracks like sublimit, surripere and be blown away. Quite long tracks but packed with so much focus and variation the time flies by. Those tracks do not feel long at all.

Put on eastre, elcy6, actually quite a few tracks from elseq, and I just find myself bored and checking how far the track is, I mean what the hell, this is Autechre, that's not supposed to happen when listening to Autechre!

Did they lose their third member 'the' Autechre?

pendulu hv moda IS great though.

Elseq (and to a lesser degree Exai) has had a reverse aeffect on me. I liked it on release, but my enjoyment of it dwindled steadily. There just isn't that certain something that's in all their releases up until and including Oversteps. Is it just me?

Even now I can go back and listen to tracks like sublimit, surripere and be blown away. Quite long tracks but packed with so much focus and variation the time flies by. Those tracks do not feel long at all.

Put on eastre, elcy6, actually quite a few tracks from elseq, and I just find myself bored and checking how far the track is, I mean what the hell, this is Autechre, that's not supposed to happen when listening to Autechre!

Not just you, I didn't go through the dwindling stage though, a lot of Exai and most of elseq was pretty damned boring to me on first listens, and most that was at first generally still is. Some of elseq is just downright rubbish imo, but I'm not here to shit on any opinions. A lot of people are into those tracks, but I sure damned ain't. And like you, that's just not something that's happened often with me with AE...plus, what I've heard of the most recent live set was pretty meh (or, you just had to be there and a recording doesn't do it justice).

If anything, I think maybe they're too deep into their 'third' member, Max. Ron and Sam if yr listening, go buy some new hardware. :)

I think their compositions are great and they are nice to listen to because of the huge sounds (how is this not ear candy for ALL?). My analytical side though feel they use some of the same sounds too often. Like the "string synth" sound and a few other ones. I feel like they are at their best when they do the out of leftfield new shit like osla for n and a i also felt there are too few real surprises. but i mean even though that string pad thing goes all the way back to quaristice, they did totally change up the percussion in oversteps, and then exai and elseq are more similar. every album before that to me sound very different even with some similarities. but i mean i listen to elseq and it's still super interesting and a damn accomplishment, and a real treat, so..... 

also lol

A cow got its teats shut in the door, obvs

Oh, yes, of course, that explains it entirely. Silly me.

I really enjoy Exai (one of my fav AE lps) and I also dig some parts of elseq, but I see where you're coming from. 

It might have to do with how surripere, Sublimit, etc. were all tightly composed (from what I understand) VS. the more free-form, real-time jam-session style in which (again, I assume) the tracks on elseq were created. The tendency of many longer elseq-tracks is to just meander for a long time without much emotional variation. On the other hand, a track like irlite (get 0) is a good example of an exciting long-form Ae track with many variations: Skip through it and you can recognise distinct sections, each with its own mood/feeling to it, creating an elusive narrative structure.

For me, my enjoyment of elseq is also a bit diminished by the fact that the "sound-palette" is, to my ears, very similar to Exai/L-event/AE-Live/Dilankex. IMO Ae are at their best & most enjoyable whenever they come out with a radical new sound (Chiastic, LP5, Confield, Untilted, Oversteps), something that many other listeners tend to struggle with.

Finally, as mentioned by some others before, I think it'd be more enjoyable if the tracklist was just more concise and it resembled more of a traditional album with nice track2track flow, something that Exai does brilliantly. (can't believe I'd ever say that I would prefer fewer tracks on an Ae album lol)

just some thoughts, I'll keep listening.....

Some of the longer tracks here remind me of the longer 'full jam' versions of uviol and vl al5 that they played on their radio shows recently.

The longer versions were interesting to hear but didn't really add that much extra to the album versions. IMO some of the tracks on elseq could definitely be tightened up in a similar way and you wouldn't lose too much.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I really enjoy Exai (one of my fav AE lps) and I also dig some parts of elseq, but I see where you're coming from. 

It might have to do with how surripere, Sublimit, etc. were all tightly composed (from what I understand) VS. the more free-form, real-time jam-session style in which (again, I assume) the tracks on elseq were created. The tendency of many longer elseq-tracks is to just meander for a long time without much emotional variation. On the other hand, a track like irlite (get 0) is a good example of an exciting long-form Ae track with many variations: Skip through it and you can recognise distinct sections, each with its own mood/feeling to it, creating an elusive narrative structure.

For me, my enjoyment of elseq is also a bit diminished by the fact that the "sound-palette" is, to my ears, very similar to Exai/L-event/AE-Live/Dilankex. IMO Ae are at their best & most enjoyable whenever they come out with a radical new sound (Chiastic, LP5, Confield, Untilted, Oversteps), something that many other listeners tend to struggle with.

Finally, as mentioned by some others before, I think it'd be more enjoyable if the tracklist was just more concise and it resembled more of a traditional album with nice track2track flow, something that Exai does brilliantly. (can't believe I'd ever say that I would prefer fewer tracks on an Ae album lol)

just some thoughts, I'll keep listening.....

I agree with all of this, and I think they were pretty coy about calling this an album or something else.

Also, I understand that they are "on other planets now" but honestly I would still love to hear them do some drum machine workouts. I was trying to think of someone else who could pull off something like Yeesland, Chunge, Pen Expers, 61e.CR, R Zee Oner Panix, etc. - take some dated beatbox and warp it to the brink of unrecognizability. This kind of thing should be its own genre and yet nobody seems to be able to do anything remotely like this and make it engaging. 

Some of the longer tracks here remind me of the longer 'full jam' versions of uviol and vl al5 that they played on their radio shows recently.

The longer versions were interesting to hear but didn't really add that much extra to the album versions. IMO some of the tracks on elseq could definitely be tightened up in a similar way and you wouldn't lose too much.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Those versions were played once in a 2008 show, and it was just loops basically as in extended play, not full jam. These elseq longer ones, on the contrary, are morphing, there's a clear idea of not constraining stuff because of the format. There's no extra repetition to listen "inwards".

Point is these long tracks probably wouldn't make it on a tighter release.