IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

could have sworn int he AMA they said that image was a lil different

Yeah that screenshot was from my machine running Max 7 - the patch was probably made around Max3 or something so probably looked quite different!

max on tri rep? that seems early. what track?

they didn't name any specific track afaik but i think they used it to make some hi hat sound something... sorry i really can't remember details or in which interview they mentioned this... AAA even, maybe?

max on tri rep? that seems early. what track?

Max has been around for a very, very long time but it was mostly for control signals to send midi in and midi out. The digital audio signal generation (actually producing sound on the computer) came later when computers were powerful enough to run it in real time.. I think they were working with the control parts until around LP5 or Cichlisuite.

Edited by Entorwellian

Haven't commented on Elseq yet, thought I would get into it in my own time and under my own steam (I only started to listen to it a few weeks ago, because I've so busy with life and knew I needed to deal with boring shit first for quite a few months before having the right headspace for the journey). Badass masterpiece imo. In fact I'm almost addicted to it.

Pretty cool Autechre pulled this out the bag at such a point in their career, I wasn't expecting such spellbinding magic from them, they pretty much dumped every ingredient into the cauldron and stirred it for the perfect amount of time.

It almost makes me re-evaluate my number 1 spot for IDM Lord/s which was always Mr James. He's still there, but Elseq really is a blinding piece of work.

eh, Mr James is on this imaginary 'No.1' perch in his fan's minds because of idol worship/cult of personality.

AE overtook him in the music stakes a long, long time ago.

If you asked him he'd probably admit that himself.

Or because some people actually prefer his music instead of 26 mins slight changes here and there.

With all due respect and without meaning to sound like a patronising twat. Perhaps just cleanse yourself of anything Autechre for a couple of months (including this thread) then press play on Elseq 4. I can't believe you would not be impressed.

I mean this is pretty much zenith territory imo

lol

else-q 1 and 4 are my fav. My contention is more with tracks that are 23-27 minutes long that sound like subtly changing parameters in max patches, a few plinky plonks with no progression, that are getting near universal appraise. And then reading that I prefer a sick album like Syro only because of idolatry not because I actually enjoy that music more.

obligatory  :derp:

edit: I know spi didn't say of what I just said. I just haven't had mah coffee yet. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

lol

else-q 1 and 4 are my fav. My contention is more with tracks that are 23-27 minutes long that sound like subtly changing parameters in max patches, a few plinky plonks with no progression, that are getting near universal appraise. And then reading that I prefer a sick album like Syro only because of idolatry not because I actually enjoy that music more.

obligatory :derp:

edit: I know spi didn't say of what I just said. I just haven't had mah coffee yet.

Hate syro; sounds like fruity loops (super boring). Love mesh and elyc6 (epic, oceanic), so there it is...the division bell.

eh, Mr James is on this imaginary 'No.1' perch in his fan's minds because of idol worship/cult of personality.

AE overtook him in the music stakes a long, long time ago.

If you asked him he'd probably admit that himself.

+1

lol

so there it is...the division bell.

THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US   THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US  THEY WILL NOT DIVIDE US

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

there is some super, super cool stuff going on in Elseq 5 territory

as for the Aphex argument (which I don't want to get out of hand) my soft spot for him is that he doesn't take himself so seriously, I mean Elseq is deadly, deadly, steely-eyed serious lol

Edited by beerwolf

Maybe you are right Blank

Whats the track where the last 30 seconds sound like the whirring of a flying saucer? That's a bloody stroke of genius, that made me grin. Brilliant :cool: 

lol

Hate syro; sounds like fruity loops (super boring). Love mesh and elyc6 (epic, oceanic), so there it is...the division bell.

Fruity Loops bashing is as old hat as AFX/ae bashing.

I feel that Autechre has their own sense of humor that is more deadpan and subtle so you have to dig it out a bit.

TBH, the older I get the less I like Aphex's sense of humor. I used to love it but now it's starting to feel just snarky, cynical and purposefully edgy. If I want "fun" music I go with Vibert or Ceephax.