IGNORED

The WATMM Challenges *June Challenge Started!*

Brisbot

Pick your Elements  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your Elements

• No reverb
    • Has to integrate vocals in one way or another (actual singing, vocal resampling, etc)
    • Self made drums only
    • Must use every note on your midi interface
    • Sample 80's cartoon noises
    • DISTORT EVERYTHING
    • All samples < .05 seconds long
    • Short echoes on all sounds
    • Negative swing
    • No grid
    • Sine waves only
    • 3/4 time
    • 5/4 time
    • All track elements must originate from the same sample
    • Animal Noises
    • Only two notes allowed in entire composition
    • No filters

Yes it does. I think what I'll do is say '30 seconds OR MORE must be only 2 notes'. That way you might can do something interesting with it. Say start out with a melody in one scale, use the two note melody thing to transition over 30 seconds, then transition to another scale. Both scales would have to have those '2' notes in them though for it to feel normal.

Ah yeah, that's a good idea.

I just want an excuse to make some djent—and try to write a guitar solo using only two notes :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does. I think what I'll do is say '30 seconds OR MORE must be only 2 notes'. That way you might can do something interesting with it. Say start out with a melody in one scale, use the two note melody thing to transition over 30 seconds, then transition to another scale. Both scales would have to have those '2' notes in them though for it to feel normal.

Hey, that two note rule was my suggestion. Either keep it as it was, or throw it out altogether. Don't try to micro manage this too much or second guess what the participants propose, please.

However, I think it might be a bad idea to combine the challenge of "all sounds from same sample" with the two note one. Having to make sure a couple dozen newly manipulated samples all confine to two fundamental frequencies sounds like a biiiiiig chore.

I should probably rewrite the first post. I'm wanting to find challenges that will make me better as a musician and put me out of my comfort zone. Nothing too quirky. For example, the suggestion to write songs backwards and then reverse them at the end. It may be fun, but it won't make you any better.

I don't like culling suggestions either that much so if I could alter them a bit to make them fit that criteria I can make some more reasonable. But since you're not okay with that I will just choose the next in line, which is unfortunate as I like the idea of doing a section with just 2 notes, but not a whole track. If it's a whole track it WILL get boring quickly, but a good rhythm with two notes can sustain interest for a short period of time.

Actually what I may do is this: Make it optional. They can choose to get rid of one of the other challenges in place of the two note challenge (must be a whole track). Would you be ok with that? So the next 3 in line will be the official ones but the participant has the option of choosing to replace one challenge. So you can replace that 'must use the same sample' challenge with the two note challenge.

This is also the first time we're doing this so I don't know what to expect.

I also have to interpret the winners. Like the 'must use one sample' thing. You could get get a long 5 minute sample. I'll have to come up with a reasonable sample length. Unless the guy who came up with it clarifies.

I like the idea of doing a section with just 2 notes, but not a whole track. If it's a whole track it WILL get boring quickly

try telling that to meshuggah tbh

I'm sure they use 3 or 4 notes at least ;)

I mean I'd love to be proved wrong I'd like to see it. So examples would be cool. Melody is probably more important to me than maybe to most people as well so. I think making it optional will be a good idea so I won't be taking it away from people. Having a substitute may be a good idea in general, just incase someone REALLY dislikes one of the challenges, or is put-off by one of them.

Again, I'm coming up with new ideas as I go because this is in no way established. I am also trying to be fair while also seeing how much I should moderate and shouldn't moderate. By now on I will ask permission to change suggestions. I honestly didn't think about it.

The whole point of the two note challenge is keeping it two notes, any more would be cheating. You'll have to resort to other things than melody to keep things interesting, ie. timbre and rythm, it's not impossible (and you don't have to make a 9 minute track).

The drums will also have to have the same fundamental frequency associated with the two notes. Basically sound like the same notes. That's if they have one. A snare might only sound like noise for instance.

What I will do (at this point) Is make the top 3 voted the challenges, so 2 notes is number 1. Then I will make the rank 4 challenge optionally substituteable with one of the other challenges. This will help you wiggle out of a challenge that may not interest you. This will be the case every month.

I myself am going to try the two note challenge. If after a week or something, my track sounds like shit I'm going to ditch the track and substitute. I still want to make good music while I'm doing the challenge, and two notes might not fit my style. I don't know yet.

Yes I'm 95% sure you can use them across different octaves. It's 'notes' like A and D, not specific notes like a3 and d6.

Btw, for the sampling challenge, we're just gonna go by the definition of a sample in music, ignore the hyperlinks:

sampling is the act of taking a portion, or sample, of one sound recording and reusing it as an instrument or a sound recording in a different song or piece.

Emphasis on the 'one'. I guess use this for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)

You may also sample yourself of course.

I'll try to explain the challenges the best I can in my original post tomorrow. I'm going to go by official definitions before I interpret things, so people don't jump on me :fail:

I think the main point of entering a challenge like this is to drop your vanity and preconceptions off at the door, and see where the limitations lead you.

Then, if one or more rules irk you too much, find a creative way to circumvent or subvert them.

Finally, the results will be much more engaging to listen to and evaluate if all tracks adhere to the same set of rules.

I started on a 2 note thingy this weekend, not sure on the specifics and result happened still. Leave the description vague and the interpretation up to those inspired. Explaining the details isn't sexy, know what I'm sayin'?

just EQ two frequencies and thats it

Don't worry too much about it, get a vst like gtune and make sure it's reading one of the two notes you chose, or sounds like that note to your ears. Not everything can stay at a note 100% of the time. Just try to make it there 98% of the time.

Obviously I want to be as vague as possible without being overbearing.

I think the main point of entering a challenge like this is to drop your vanity and preconceptions off at the door, and see where the limitations lead you.

Then, if one or more rules irk you too much, find a creative way to circumvent or subvert them.

Finally, the results will be much more engaging to listen to and evaluate if all tracks adhere to the same set of rules.

I'm just going to allow a substitute. You will still have to do 3 challenges either way. Understand I also want the challenges to be interesting. Most people will probably NOT use the substitute. I don't want people to feel compelled to circumvent or subvert one of them. If I'm going to do a 2 note challenge it's going to be a very noticeable portion of the song.

I started on a 2 note thingy this weekend, not sure on the specifics and result happened still. Leave the description vague and the interpretation up to those inspired. Explaining the details isn't sexy, know what I'm sayin'?

I've got to outline how long the sample can be otherwise you can just use a 5 minute sample, which is still technically a 'sample'. Again I am taking suggestions for that. I am thinking 30 seconds at longest.

Making lots of sounds from one sample isn't really a challenge if that sample is longer than, say, a second? A thirty second sample could include single hits from an entire symphony orchestra.

Btw, there are 3 tied at 12 votes atm for third place.

Making lots of sounds from one sample isn't really a challenge if that sample is longer than, say, a second? A thirty second sample could include single hits from an entire symphony orchestra.

If you want to do that then do it. If it's too short then we're just going to get little bits of sample pitched to different frequencies. There are pros and cons to both ends. Both aren't a challenge. Make it challenging by choosing a challenging sample. I thought I was supposed to be vague. Choose a sample under a second for yourself.

I could go with 10-15 seconds instead. That way someone can use a sampled break at least.

I'm trying my best to be fair. It will probably take a few months to get this down to a groove. At the moment it's going to be somewhat rocky and obviously I will be changing my mind on how things work and I will ask for feedback from others whenever I do.

I have updated the OP to better reflect what I am going for.

Challenge officially has started! Please read the Original Post for explanation of challenges.

Btw, any suggestions on what I should do with the tracks of the winners who complete the challenges? I know I can make a playlist at least, and then just post that playlist every month. That is at the very least.

Question : would it be cool if I made my own 10 second sample that I will then compose with?

I'd like to kind of modify the challenge for myself: use a single voice on my drum synth to create a 10 second loop that will be the loop I use: I'll construct the sounds myself and only use 2 notes to sequence it, plus some MIDI CCs. I'll the print that and then chop it per the rules.

Yes you can make the sample for yourself, as long as it's 10 seconds or less. I added in the OP that you may further add rules for yourself as long as they're in the constraints of the challenges (for example forcing yourself to use only sub 1 second samples) and then mentioning the fact that you did that when you finish the track/demo.

Archived