IGNORED

The WATMM Challenges *June Challenge Started!*

Brisbot

Pick your Elements  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your Elements

• No reverb
    • Has to integrate vocals in one way or another (actual singing, vocal resampling, etc)
    • Self made drums only
    • Must use every note on your midi interface
    • Sample 80's cartoon noises
    • DISTORT EVERYTHING
    • All samples < .05 seconds long
    • Short echoes on all sounds
    • Negative swing
    • No grid
    • Sine waves only
    • 3/4 time
    • 5/4 time
    • All track elements must originate from the same sample
    • Animal Noises
    • Only two notes allowed in entire composition
    • No filters

There really is not min./max length at this time. The idea is to make a rough draft or a finished track with each of the challenges 'completed'. The idea is to challenge yourself, so if you only make a 30 second track and post it up, then that won't be making you a better musician!

I'm trying not to bog down the challenges with too many rules, and want to add more variability and decision making within the chosen challenges.

If you make an amazing track and want to sell it, then that's your decision. I don't see why there would be infringement issues otherwise.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished the two note work out I started on last weekend;

https://soundcloud.com/plugexpert/jonas-went-soot

If you have Renoise 3.1 the songfile can be dl'd here;

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/420-jonas-went-soot-pre-post-processing-version/

Enjoyable. Interesting strategy with the two notes as well. The two notes didn't bore me either. It had a good rhythm, almost meditative, and that feedback was pretty sweet! Good job.

Whoo! Very nice winners.

heh yeah, I wanted to keep it simpler for the first go around so I kept the 'big' challenges down to a minimum, and they were all picked anyway xD.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude I've never seen that many tumbleweeds.

I have tried the challenge 3 times, and I can't come up with anything that I enjoy and I see no reason to post it if it is just plain bad. It's not even 'meh', it's just bad. The two note thing is just killing me.. haha. The truth is all three times I tried I just got bored after a bit which ended up equaling bad music. :-\

oh well I tried. You on the other hand did a good job for what you were given. Sorry this thread ended up being a let down :(

I'll give it one more go before the month ends

Posting my meh...

Rules:

- Two notes in entire track (C and F#)

- 5/4

- Home made drum sounds (FM synthesized)

(Couldn't be bothered with the All track elements must originate from the same sample rule.)

Tried to compensate for the limited notes by making a busy/modulated acid line. It's a mess.

• 2 years later...

*neva foget*

All track elements must originate from the same sample 

Sample length is MAX 10 seconds... 

The track sounds awesome.

This is actually a good idea for watmm, but I shouldn't be the one to 'run' the challenges. I'm too inconsistent with posting on watmm. I think I'd just like to participate. Lol. I remember trying like 5 times and coming up with really bad audio bits. Then I just gave up. So much for the guy who's idea it was in the first place.

I'd be on board if someone is willing to step up. Or actually better yet a few people who kinda run them together so it doesn't require one person to always be there, maybe like 2/3.

^perky.

This is actually a good idea for watmm, but I shouldn't be the one to 'run' the challenges. I think I'd just like to participate. Lol. I remember trying like 5 times and coming up with really bad audio bits. Then I just gave up. So much for the guy who's idea it was in the first place.

I'd be on board if someone is willing to step up. Or actually better yet a few people who kinda run them together so it doesn't require one person to always be there, maybe like 2/3.

I don't care so much for a competition like thing, or deadlines. A list with possible ideas a la oblique strategies but watmefied a la 'give me a new dj name' would be better for the occasional picking imo .

Yeah I don't think it should be a competition anymore. Though I think it would be good to have a different set of challenges each month. And I guess the average watmmite checking it out would look at the challenges one month, and if it interests them tackle them, otherwise maybe next month will be more interesting. Then people just post them as they are done. I remember wanting to post down each soundcloud url somewhere for easy viewing by 'challenge'  or something, month by month.

A list with possible ideas a la oblique strategies but watmefied a la 'give me a new dj name' would be better for the occasional picking imo

It would be cool to maybe as some challenges be about different kinds of sound design, and anyone who is up for the challenge, can talk strategy to make said sounds, or share tutorial videos, etc.

I'd like this. It'd give some structure to the usual dickingaroundery that making music tends to be for me. 

Yeah it would give it more structure and variety I think which was the appeal of all of this, looking at the polling. It's really easy to fall into the trap of making music the same way over and over, when there are many many different ways to design sound and sounds in general and sound palettes to use.

Archived