IGNORED

Hymns & Other Spirtual Music

koolkeyZ865

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 3:07 PM, jaderpansen said:

here's the same tune sung by the monks of simonos petra monastery, awesome version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuF-LS51fSY

paid visit there as part of pilgrimage on the holy mountain last year, magical place!

tumblr_layrkiPTEt1qdxlj0o1_1280.jpg

this one was probably the coolest to stay tho (iviron):

Iviron_Monastery_Mount_Athos.jpg

Athos is the one place in the world that I'd like to go more than anywhere else.  Did you get a chance to visit Panagouda while there ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Athos is the one place in the world that I'd like to go more than anywhere else.  Did you get a chance to visit Panagouda while there ?

Well, you absolutely should. Easily the strangest trip i've ever been to.

No, we missed that one ever so slightly en route from Karyes to Iviron. We passed the holy Skete of St. Panteleimon tho, just a few hundred meters north of it, where we were met with probably the greatest of hospitality of the whole tour tho. You gots any particular connection to Panagouda?

Dionysiou was great, too (despite the monks being rather indifferent to hostile towards catholics, interesting experience being on that end of religious discrimination for a change):

http://www.orangesmile.com/extreme/img/main/dionysiou-monastery_2.jpg

10 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

Well, you absolutely should. Easily the strangest trip i've ever been to.

No, we missed that one ever so slightly en route from Karyes to Iviron. We passed the holy Skete of St. Panteleimon tho, just a few hundred meters north of it, where we were met with probably the greatest of hospitality of the whole tour tho. You gots any particular connection to Panagouda?

I don't have any worldly connection to Panagouda, but St. Paisios is one of the saints who's been one of the biggest influences in my life.  His hagiography by Hieromonk Isaac is the book that introduced me to monasticism and it's made me really want to see the places where St. Paisios lived.  One of the monks I know here in America told me it isn't really worth going if I don't know Greek or Russian, so it's on the backburner for now.

Also, since today is the feast day of the monastery where I go for pilgrimages, I'll post their patronal troparion for the thread:

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, drillkicker said:

One of the monks I know here in America told me it isn't really worth going if I don't know Greek or Russian, so it's on the backburner for now.

Can't confirm. I only know very little Greek and i only ever really needed it for reading signposts ("το νερο δεν πινετε!" XP). Conversation in English was possible (to various degrees) with almost every monk and pilgrim (who by the majority were indeed from Russia) who we met. Purely anecdotic tho, of course, maybe we just got lucky... and you're probably having deeper conversations in mind than me.

Panteleimon's a prime example. We were even shown the Katholikon while being told the martyr's story quite thoroughly. The monk's name was Chrysostomos, ace dude.

Beware tho some services begin as early as 3 a.m. I think the monks are in a permament hazy kinda high induced by sleep deprivation.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...