IGNORED

Autechre production methods speculation

zlemflolia

^^ hmm, not sure what's going on here. Ae weren't lined up to perform in that festival. There was a "Gescom DJs" entry in the line up, in the early hours of Sunday, where essentially it was RB mixing records for a couple of hours or so; at some point both SB and RB were on stage with laptops and it sounded (to me at least) as if they were jamming some of their tracks.

That setup with the analog TV monitor is what Team Doyobi were using, I'm quite sure.

https://drownedinsound.com/news/6162-atp-2003-sold-out-and-lineup-confirmed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 5/27/2016 at 2:51 PM, nerver said:

i think they are always changing how they do things though. if you have the time, read the massive thread about them. they spill the beans here and there. but one thing they never do is show pictures of what they have set up ? always evolving!

since they have talked in interviews about pushing a piece of equipment to its very limits, rather than getting new more advanced equipment and not pushing it deeply, it would make sense that trying to make one gigantic system capable of handling everything is in a way not good.  because pushing to limits implies the existence of limits. if there are no limits there's nothing interesting to push to the outlier conditions of behaviors

i bet a lot of their production methods actually are about what they are finding fun to do and want to do at that point rather than some big end goal in mind that they will use any means to achieve

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

Holy shit an EMS Synthi AKS? Noice!

i have a feeling there is a mistake here. for one thing i’ve never heard anything that sounds like a synth i in their music and it’s never come up in a gear list. this looks like photos of multiple setups that were going to play the same night

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pretty sure Ae just randomise their maxmsp modules and press play and out pops like 20 albums. Why don't they just fookin' have a perma-livestream these days and charge people $1/sec is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, nikisoko said:

i have a feeling there is a mistake here. for one thing i’ve never heard anything that sounds like a synth i in their music and it’s never come up in a gear list. this looks like photos of multiple setups that were going to play the same night

Yes this set of pics was posted on the Skam instagram a while back.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for misleading information guys ! I found the line up, and atp 2003 was curated by ae, there was gescom djs with visuals :
https://www.atpfestival.com/events/atpautechre/lineup

edit : line up is crazy 

Also posted a few posts above along with the ATP CD release track lists. There’s a couple cds atp released with autechre jam or two on them. They talk about curating it in some interviews. I think that Wire interview maybe. They talk about how it was nice to bring out public enemy. I forget what year that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

https://www.atpfestival.com/artist/aphextwin

>Richard D James is the alpha male of electronica

That's not the full quote.

>Richard D James is the alpha male of electronica, a sinewave surfer and synthesiser symbiant, as likely to set up his FX under the polythene peaks of a well appointed Wendy house as choreograph the flexing of a bunch of fully pumped female bodybuilders whose muscle profiles suggested they'd changed their order from cheesecake to beefcake.

Which is basically the equivalent of

>ЯIᄃΉΛЯD D JΛMΣƧ IƧ ƬΉΣ ΛᄂPΉΛ MΛᄂΣ ӨF ΣᄂΣᄃƬЯӨПIᄃΛ, Λ ƧIПΣЩΛVΣ ƧЦЯFΣЯ ΛПD ƧYПƬΉΣƧIƧΣЯ ƧYMBIΛПƬ, ΛƧ ᄂIKΣᄂY ƬӨ ƧΣƬ ЦP ΉIƧ FX ЦПDΣЯ ƬΉΣ PӨᄂYƬΉΣПΣ PΣΛKƧ ӨF Λ ЩΣᄂᄂ ΛPPӨIПƬΣD ЩΣПDY ΉӨЦƧΣ ΛƧ ᄃΉӨЯΣӨGЯΛPΉ ƬΉΣ FᄂΣXIПG ӨF Λ BЦПᄃΉ ӨF FЦᄂᄂY PЦMPΣD FΣMΛᄂΣ BӨDYBЦIᄂDΣЯƧ ЩΉӨƧΣ MЦƧᄃᄂΣ PЯӨFIᄂΣƧ ƧЦGGΣƧƬΣD ƬΉΣY'D ᄃΉΛПGΣD ƬΉΣIЯ ӨЯDΣЯ FЯӨM ᄃΉΣΣƧΣᄃΛKΣ ƬӨ BΣΣFᄃΛKΣ

• Farnsworth 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Morton Subotnick: "say what?''

im just uncultured and not giving this guy a chance but i feel like this is what people who dont like autechre imagine autechre sounds like

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

im just uncultured and not giving this guy a chance but i feel like this is what people who dont like autechre imagine autechre sounds like

silver apples of the moon/the wild bull. have some ae like moments. those are old releases. quite interesting and good. no midi here. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

You just have to go a few step further down the rabbit hole. You remove the AE hiphop loop influence and its what you get. Full on sound fuckery without even a beat to hang on to. Took me a while to get used to it but now he's one of my favorite. Ignatius links are excellent check em out.

Morton is a legend. What a boss. Kind of AE spiritual grandfather. He's an old man and he still gets young people pissed off at him because his music is too weird. Not a lot of old men can claim that.

Strong Bucephalus Bouncing vibes on this one https://mortonsubotnick.bandcamp.com/track/until-spring-side-two

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Morton is a legend. What a boss. Kind of AE spiritual grandfather. He's an old man and he still gets young people pissed off at him because his music is too weird. Not a lot of old men can claim that.

I reserve this title to Bernard Parmegiani.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...