IGNORED

I want a synth

SO I am after a synth. I have never used one. I will go and say other than audacity I have never produced before. I really just want something I can tweak to make little tunes or samples out of, then be able to record them to the PC somehow.

I have some requirements though

1. I want a new one. Made for sale in 2015/6. I always used to buy old stuff and it always came broken.

2. I need it to last me a while, so nothing too limiting.

3. I don't have a DAW so I need something that will work with freeware. USB preferably.

4. I want something I can put on a table. My posture is terrible and when I meditate I can't breathe properly it will be nice to have an excuse to sit with my back straight for a few hours.

I am thinking...Roland JD-XI ??

Thanks!

My first was a DSI mopho module. I learned a ton about subtractive synthesis on it. It can be had with or without a keyboard.

One of the newer moogs would probably suit you and last you for a long time to come (sub 37).

I would not recommend the JD-Xi. I'd rather use an old casio or yamaha PSS.

The Yamaha CS Reface might suit you well and its polyphonic.

3. I don't have a DAW so I need something that will work with freeware. USB preferably.

Download Reaper right away! You won't regret it. Not freeware but the only limitation on the demo is a nag screen, other than that it's identical to the full version.

http://reaper.fm/

My first was a DSI mopho module. I learned a ton about subtractive synthesis on it. It can be had with or without a keyboard.

Same here. You really need to use the controller app to get the most out of it, but it's a perfect jumping off point, and pretty cost effective. I'd probably also recommend the Korg Volca line. They sound pretty good, and don't cost very much.

The korg minilogue seems like a very good and reasonably priced starter synth.

I'm looking into getting a cheap'ish synth source myself, and am looking at the microkorg's, korg r3's & alesis micron going around 200,- euro's second hand here. Anyone here familiar with the micron?

Guest Chesney

All sound great and are very capable synths but unless you are good with subtractive synthesis already and can easily work out abbreviations on small displays then they are not that intuitive. Sure, anyone can learn on these but most just end up slightly tweaking presets and off you go.

I'd recommend something less menu driven and more hands on. Or middle ground would be a Blofeld. Easy matrix system and the graphical display will teach you more than you think.

Yeah I'd agree with not starting with something packed with menus. I have a MicroKorg XL and it makes some great sounds but I do tend to edit presets rather than starting from scratch as I don't actually enjoy staring at numbers on a screen that much. In comparison, I also have the Volcas and they're great fun as they're completely hands on. The analogue ones are certainly limited but can still come up with a fair range of sounds and being able to associate differences in sound with tweaking actual knobs means I'm learning far more directly from them...

Guest Chesney

There are actually loads of really good options out there but it does depends on what the user wants from it and mainly... Budget.

Yup. The ones I echoed are all around the $500 mark - budget but not so budget that you start making the kinds of compromises that defeat the purpose of hardware. Any lower than that, you should just get used gear, or a volca or two if you don't mind the limitations.

I'd recommend something less menu driven and more hands on.

The micron sounds pretty good but it's a bitch to edit.

The internet says there are software editors for it, kind of defeats the purpose of hardware maybe :) , but I won't mind spending time creating a tool front end for it in Renoise's guru tool ( https://www.renoise.com/tools/guru).

guru examples;

Then midi map most parameters to a bcr2000 midi controller for hands on control. If I had more money to spend, I'd look for the more knobby synths.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, a digital synth with an editor is kind of redundant really. You might as well get a good softsynth. Hardware is alot about interface and hands on fun. And of course, they all do sound different.

If I went back in time i'd have loved to have learned on a CS5 or similar. Sh09, MS20 etc are going to be real fun and are never limited as every sound and between is usable. Timeless waveforms and filter combos will never go out of favour.

Yeah, a digital synth with an editor is kind of redundant really. You might as well get a good softsynth. Hardware is alot about interface and hands on fun. And of course, they all do sound different.

If I went back in time i'd have loved to have learned on a CS5 or similar. Sh09, MS20 etc are going to be real fun and are never limited as every sound and between is usable. Timeless waveforms and filter combos will never go out of favour.

Usually I'm sure this is the case, but with the Micron, I'd say it's likely the opposite for many owners. I know for me and at least some others, the menu diving is ridiculous and never gets much better. I bought it because price + sounds possible were a great deal.

Archived