IGNORED

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

Nice surprise from Warp. I haven't listened to an eclectically produced hip-hop album in ages...and I totally slept on all the years of Odd Future and Death Grips hype. Reminded me a lot of old MF Doom and Kool Kieth in that regard. His voice is a little off putting, reminds me of Aziz Ansari's RAAANY character, but it grows on you after awhile. Lot more interesting beat wise than other stuff friends have recommended me - like Young Thug for example - which I find pretty fucking dull and predictable.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half is good, I like that he switches back and forth between his high-pitched voice and his... normal voice? +1 for Really Doe. The block in the middle though.. Is he for real about all the drug abuse? Doesn't he have a daughter?! What an asshole! If it's meant to be a cautionary tale, it's important to note that people take that shit literally like an anthem. Remember Swimming Pools?

Lot more interesting beat wise than other stuff friends have recommended me - like Young Thug for example - which I find pretty fucking dull and predictable.

I'm not sure how Young Thug gets indie credit, they are misogynistic and immature as fuck, and as you say, dull and predictable.

I do agree with the MF Doom and Kool Keith comparisons, and Danny is more fun to listen to than Lil Ugly Mane any day of the week.

BTW if you haven't yet, Yung Lean is worth listening to at least for shits and giggles.

Albums definitely a grower.. Not sure what it is with Danny Brown, I don't like his previous two albums from back to front, they feel more like a disjointed collection of tracks centered around a theme apposed to having a cohesive sound.

Lot more interesting beat wise than other stuff friends have recommended me - like Young Thug for example - which I find pretty fucking dull and predictable.

I'm not sure how Young Thug gets indie credit, they are misogynistic and immature as fuck, and as you say, dull and predictable.
I do agree with the MF Doom and Kool Keith comparisons, and Danny is more fun to listen to than Lil Ugly Mane any day of the week.

BTW if you haven't yet, Yung Lean is worth listening to at least for shits and giggles.

Hey 1017 Thug was golden, same with almost everything from LUM. Id check out Three Sided Tape volumes by LUM, shows his chops as a producer and the breadth genres he's explored as a musician. I guess he quit caus he felt he'd exhausted the Lil Ugly Mane persona, hope he continues to produce.

Might be totally wrong but... isn't it a BBC Workshop tune they've sampled? Something by Delia Derbyshire or John Baker? Gosh I know the tune they've sampled but can't find which one it actually is.

@1:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdiMcEeTJA

That sample is fire !

Also the last two tracks are very enjoyable, more calm than the rest of the lp and b-real fits in like perfect

Never thought I'd see anyone bash Lil Ugly Mane. In what way is he ever not fun to listen to?

• 2 months later...

Archived