IGNORED

What Kind of Reverb Do You Think is Used in SAW II?

Lane Visitor

So I was wondering if anyone could identify the reverb system used through out Saw II.. it seems like there may be a central unit, and I'm guessing it's some kind of high end outboard hardware reverb unit.

A good example where you can really hear the tails and tone of the verb:

There's a dark space kind of character that this reverb has that I've never heard anywhere else.. it's so murky and smeared yet so clean, and pure. Of course, that could be due to mostly the sounds, heard to tell. It's just the whole thing is so atmospheric, yet so detailed--it's really an amazing balance the Richard was able to maintain with the sound design and effects.

I use Ubermod reverb plugins, and love them. I've found some great dark sounding cavernous verbs that i can adjust to taste, but they're kind of "light" and still a big digital if that makes sense. Somehow even though verb like here on SAW II is prob trusted analog, it's still cleaner than the digital I've heard. Although of course, i could be wrong and maybe he was using early digital high end reverb back in the early 90s.. is that even possible?

I always thought it was Quadraverb

same. quadra or midiverb imo

Nice, thanks guys.. and wow, seriously? Quadraverb is like low end super cheap gear.. it's really capable of capturing such lush verb??

If so, i may have to pick up one those bad boys. is there a specific model you'd recommend or anything?

i have the quadraverb gt. quite good. back in that period it seems like these alesis verbs were totally ubiquitous. fsol, who sometimes have ridiculous amounts of reverb on some tracks, had like 4 or 5 of these babies in the 90s. the other day i was looking at the liner notes for a bernard parmegiani record and even he had one!

they're still pretty cheap, i def recommend them.

Lane Visitor

youre questions are answered here

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/67236-i-got-an-alesis-quadraverb-the-other-day/

i have the quadraverb gt. quite good. back in that period it seems like these alesis verbs were totally ubiquitous. fsol, who sometimes have ridiculous amounts of reverb on some tracks, had like 4 or 5 of these babies in the 90s. the other day i was looking at the liner notes for a bernard parmegiani record and even he had one!

delorean-14-04-bernard-parmegiani.jpg

Lane Visitor

youre questions are answered here

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/67236-i-got-an-alesis-quadraverb-the-other-day/

delorean-14-04-bernard-parmegiani.jpg

nice one mate. that's exactly the pic.

Quadraverb is a great noisy unit. AE used it all over Amber too(QVGT+) - listen to the resonators and ring mod on that record. I know Richard used one quite a bit before SAWII but I'm pretty sure it is something else on that one. I find it pretty easy to dial up a SAWI reverb or early Autechre but when it comes to SAWII it never seems right. I've had the unit for almost 18 years so and know it deeply.

If you are keen on algo reverbs have a look at these: https://valhalladsp.com/

Quite excellent.

why are the Valhalla reverbs better then lets say the ones from Ableton ?

The reverb in Ableton is great, but the Valhalla reverbs don't end up with that classic digital harsh grainy-like sound if you turn up the reflectivity too much. Valhalla Shimmer is amazing.

Definitely quadraverb gt.

I tried it out using my own GT and got some really great results actually. https://soundcloud.com/alex-tannhauser/quadverb-54370

Why do you think the GT and not a regular quadraverb? Isn't the only difference that the GT has a built in amp for guitars (GT)?

Yeah, ur right, just didn't consider that when writing. I'm just used to spelling it out GT without realising it's not the standard ver, heh.

check this out, from mark pritchard:

We were trying to get the depth of Vangelis but didn't have a CS80, actually i had one later but it was well after the Global stuff. So it was the Juno 106 for some pads but we would pitch shift it with a zoom unit. And the signature reverb sound was a Alesis Quadraverb Chorus reverb, it was noisy smile.gif And detuney. Richard Aphex used one as well coincidentally I knew because i could hear it on his stuff, he was using DX100 a lot into the Quadraverb.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-mark-pritchard/1096322-digging-76-14-clues.html

Nice gearslutz thread.

Totally agree about FM being capable of lushness, and you can get more lushness for your operators if you have feedback cos you can morph your sines into nasty saw-ish waves and then into noise. Frustration with FM generally comes from the editing the envelopes and finding the right ratios (hint: start with close ratios like 1:1, 2:1, 1:2, 3:1, or ratios slightly off from these like 1:1.01). Editing both of these things tends to suck pretty bad on hardware FM synths, though.

Nice, thanks guys.. and wow, seriously? Quadraverb is like low end super cheap gear.. it's really capable of capturing such lush verb??

RDJ and other IDM legends weren't the only ones who made such lush stuff with cheaper gear. Kevin Shields used a Alesis Midiverb II for the landmark, influencial, noisey as fuck My Bloody Valentine songs.

Ironically it seems this was achieved not so much by meticulous setups so much as simply throwing out pre-conceived notions of effects usage out the window. More expensive hardware seems to go hand in hand with more restrained, pristine sounds, not unabashed lushness. In the case of MBV no one was literally running their guitar through a cheaper 16-bit digital reverb at 100% for songs, let alone the lead part. Same could be said of RDJ in his earlier years with his equipment on hand.

RDJ and other IDM legends weren't the only ones who made such lush stuff with cheaper gear. Kevin Shields used a Alesis Midiverb II for the landmark, influencial, noisey as fuck My Bloody Valentine songs.

Ironically it seems this was achieved not so much by meticulous setups so much as simply throwing out pre-conceived notions of effects usage out the window. More expensive hardware seems to go hand in hand with more restrained, pristine sounds, not unabashed lushness. In the case of MBV no one was literally running their guitar through a cheaper 16-bit digital reverb at 100% for songs, let alone the lead part. Same could be said of RDJ in his earlier years with his equipment on hand.

scott cortez/lovesliescrushing also did some extreme midiverb/quadraverb stuff at that time. definitely not as song-oriented as MBV but you can hear similarities from the alesis verbs.

alesis verbs ftw

Archived