IGNORED

DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall

No Rubin.

Hey man, that link there says he's widely acknowledged as a crucial figure.

lol. The man I knew as DJ Shadow died a long time ago.

To each their own though.

No Rubin.

Hey man, that link there says he's widely acknowledged as a crucial figure.

lol. The man I knew as DJ Shadow died a long time ago.

To each their own though.

Yeah Endtroducing was good (maybe hasn't aged super well though) and some of the Unkle stuff was good (though I think that was at least as much James LaVelle). After that, uhhh...

Oh hey, Run the Jewels and Nils Frahm. Maybe Dj Shadow has made something decent again, reconnected with his old ways.

*listens to samples*

:trap:

Somebody steal all his gear and leave him with a stack of vinyl and an akai mpc.

please.

do it now.

What I'd heard of his post-Private Press output did nothing for me, but I gave the Nils Frahm track a listen and quite liked it.

Endtroducing, Preemptive Strike and his early Mo'Wax stuff was literally so fucking good. Private Press was decent. Everything since then (including this, from what I can tell by the samples) has been meh. There are usually a few tracks from each release that I can get along with, but the rest is a bit wanky.

I'll still probably check this out on Spotify at some point this weekend.

Endtroducing and The Private Press were both solid. Couldn't get into anything after those though.

Always enjoyed the Unklesounds project. I've got lots of their DJ mixes and some of them are for straight tripping on. lol

I discovered DJ Shadow in '98 when Psyence Fiction came out. At the time Beastie Boys Hello Nasty was huge and that led me to find out who Mix Master Mike was, which led me to discovering turntablism...Skratch Piklz and all that shit. I went to a music store where the clerk recommended I check out Endtroducing if I liked turntable stuff. I put it into one of the store cd players for previewing and put on the headphones...I thought it was new-agey sounding and sucked. I bought Psyence fiction anyway because of the Mike D track (lol) and because Jason Newsted played bass on the same track (another lol). I listened to that album alot and decided to give Shadow's solo stuff another try, this time with Pre-Emptive Strike. That was it man...I fuckin loved DJ Shadow and couldn't get enough of this type of music. I went looking for everything I could find of his (including going back and getting Endtroducing)...I joined an email mailing list called in/flux (forums weren't as huge then) that Shadow fans would post to for discussions and to get music recommendations, which led me to discovering DJ Krush, BoC and alot more electronic music.

I collected everything Shadow did from his early '90's years up through Private Press stuff. When Outsider came out in 2006 I wasn't listening to him as much anymore, but still, I couldn't believe that this was the same person I idolized in the late '90s/early 2000's. The music was absolutely horrible and it was if an imposter had taken over. Fucking hyphy or whatever he thought was going to be the next big thing in hip hop totally tanked.

I saw him on his 2010 Shadow sphere tour, which was a great show, and showed that he had gotten rid of whatever he was going through in 2006. It was a set heavy on his old material mixed with '90s DnB and bits of his new stuff thrown in to be on the 2011 album, which didn't sound that bad in a live setting. But then came the 2011 album. It once again sucked incredibly hard, and sounded like it was someone trying to make music of what they thought DJ Shadow should sound like. There was no soul to it...it was becoming apparent he was no longer great at finding those cool samples from obscure 60's-80's albums he could sample and turn into gold, and he no longer could program drums the way he used to.

So needless to say, I had 0 hopes this album would be any good, and sadly those expectations have been met. This sounds slightly better than the last 2, but nowhere near on par with what he did back in the '90s. Even then he did release some shit B-sides and one-off tracks, but there was still something essentially "Shadow" about them. That Shadow"ness" seems to be more or less gone now.

It's not a huge deal because I mean there is so much out there to choose from and I don't really listen to much electronic music these days anyway, but there is still something that makes me a little sad (and I guess made me decide to post this) when I hear one of the producers who got me started on my foray into electronic music produce something so soulless and come off as an imitation of what he once was. This album is another total miss for me and further cements the fact the DJ Shadow may never produce anything that will be on the same level as the music he made 20 years ago.

On another note, where is DJ Krush? And another Shadow protege that took a surprisingly similar fall to Shadow is RjD2. I guess you could group Prefuse in there too.

(Also I feel heavily indebted to Shadow since the Unkle album single-handedly converted me from being a lame indie kid to liking electronic music.)

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw DJ Shadow live last night and it was actually quite a spectacle. He's well worth seeing.

I saw him back in 2010 when he was doing the Shadowsphere thing. I quite liked it. He played some decent dnb tunes. I'll need to give this new one a listen when I'm home.

Archived