IGNORED

Mike & Rich album turned 20 years old [Planet Mu Reissue]

FilziSH

has anyone noticed compared to the original The sound of the Beady eyes sounds has no low end or feels or its not been mastered well or something?

the original sounds so much better 

maybe an audio head might be able to explain 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone noticed compared to the original The sound of the Beady eyes sounds has no low end or feels or its not been mastered well or something?

the original sounds so much better 

maybe an audio head might be able to explain 

To me it sounds like different EQ. The remaster seems to favour the mid-range more. But you're right, I think I prefer the old mastering. Or maybe something inbetween...

Edited by jejunum

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to find a reissue with cleaner and just plain better mastering. This is a treat to the ears.

EDIT: It may just be because it's quieter compared to my CD copy

Edited by clarktrent

Really nice to have the chance to sit down and revisit this unappreciated release, I can't have listened to it more than 10 times since I first heard it 15 or so years ago. I always quite enjoyed it but some of the good feeling was tarnished by a very arch mid-90s easy-listening and almost big beat vibe and the nagging feeling that both artists were just noodling about here and selfishly saving their best melodies and ideas for their own later solo releases.

but now a combination of factors, (the aggressive remaster job, the charmingly dumb bonus tracks, finding out it was actually made in 94) have really made me enjoy it a lot more. I can hear Perrey-Kingsley in there, and similar ground to the soundcloud trax of that era.

Mikes strange little reverbed sine melodies playing utopian supermarket musak mixing in with Aphex's sloppy crunchy distortion works a treat. Mr Frosty sounds like Jake Slazenger remixing Acrid Avid Jam Shred, Eggy Toast is subdued but with a serpentine AFX lead. It is very tongue in cheek insofar as Mike & Rich both know thier listeners know these synth lines are cheesey as fuck, but I believe now it comes from a real non-ironic love of cheesey as fuck synth lines.

I must have listened to it ten times last year!

Did anyone notice that knob selling the tape on discogs for £20000 or whatever it was

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...