IGNORED

nanoloop megathread

juiceciuj

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've started a compilation dedicated to long-form, minimalist nanoloop tracks.

See the following link:

https://goo.gl/forms/xXC9JSz99nJthLlq2

DESCRIPTION

Let's make some long nanoloop tracks!

This is a compilation for those who either can't write tracks short enough to be considered for the usual chiptune compilations, or for those who usually write short tracks and want to experiment a little. Basically anyone who wants to write long-form tracks :D

GUIDELINES

I've made these a little more strict than I first intended, but consider it a challenge to get creative.

- Any version of Nanoloop is allowed (including multiple copies of same/different versions). This includes the iOS/Android versions, but to even the playing field, please avoid using external samples.
- MINIMUM length of 10 minutes. No maximum.
- ANY genre is fine, but a minimalist/repetitive version of chosen genre is encouraged.
- Submitted tracks must have some consistency throughout the compostion. Tracks with multiple sections are great, but try to avoid a "megamix" of clearly very different pieces. This isn't a collection of EPs.
- NO external effects or sound generators, with the exception of using EQ/compression. Please note that I may get these tracks lightly mastered/limited just to get volume levels consistent.
- External clock signals are permitted, ONLY to control speed of sequencer.
- Editing after recording is permitted.
- Collaborations are permitted and encouraged.

DEADLINE AND SUBMISSIONS

I'd like to get this closed by 1st October 2017.

Upload your submission to Dropbox, Google Drive, your own hosting, or similar, along with a text file containing your artist name, track title, and any additional notes including the version(s) of nanoloop used. Feel free to get as academic or wanky as you like :D

I'll aim for a mid-October or early November release, depending on how long it takes me to get artwork together and master it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reminder, I installed nanoloop on my droid phone and instantly enjoyed it. :)

However there seems to be no way to tempo sync with Live or anything on the PC, so I am having a rough time trying to get the loops recorded. Does anyone have tips how to do that? I guess I could just work with the internal pattern sequencing thing too of course.

• 2 months later...

This is finally available :D

https://t-s-r.bandcamp.com/album/nanoloop-minimalism

a1680468706_10.jpg

1. tMt - mellom 10:52

2. Pulselooper - monotask 16:19

3. 0F.digital - 0F.nsub 56:02

4. Dot.AY - Digoxin Toxicity 11:06

5. Lysdexic - thec_la 18:30

6. Scanian Wolf - Secret Modem Dial-Up Delight 10:06

7. Trent Hawkins - Magic Realm 10:08

8. DJ Hollow Life - Slow Wubby J 26:14

9. Teledildonix - Give In To Play 01:05:02

10. Infradead - Stage Seven Unmitigated Force 19:09

11. Environmental Sound Collapse - Disintegrated 33:59

12. Tom Foolery and the Family Jewellery - nanoloop lomg 45:16

13. ModernChair - alnlgugtque 12:05

14. Amsler Grid - Venlafaxine 18:24

plus a special super secret bonus track from the one and only atomsmasha (trust me it's a banger)

total running time: 6 hours, 3 minutes, 57 seconds. phew!

This is finally available :D

https://t-s-r.bandcamp.com/album/nanoloop-minimalism

a1680468706_10.jpg

1. tMt - mellom 10:52

2. Pulselooper - monotask 16:19

3. 0F.digital - 0F.nsub 56:02

4. Dot.AY - Digoxin Toxicity 11:06

5. Lysdexic - thec_la 18:30

6. Scanian Wolf - Secret Modem Dial-Up Delight 10:06

7. Trent Hawkins - Magic Realm 10:08

8. DJ Hollow Life - Slow Wubby J 26:14

9. Teledildonix - Give In To Play 01:05:02

10. Infradead - Stage Seven Unmitigated Force 19:09

11. Environmental Sound Collapse - Disintegrated 33:59

12. Tom Foolery and the Family Jewellery - nanoloop lomg 45:16

13. ModernChair - alnlgugtque 12:05

14. Amsler Grid - Venlafaxine 18:24

plus a special super secret bonus track from the one and only atomsmasha (trust me it's a banger)

total running time: 6 hours, 3 minutes, 57 seconds. phew!

Nice! And I thought Infradead was only doing modular stuff these days.

• 10 months later...

Time for another compilation! This time, the style is juke/footwork.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSUdFa_KHOFFyjJI5iitQW9i6o3-K1oCB6eSj6aQn7Ra1KIw/viewform?usp=sf_link

The second TSR nanoloop compilation is now open for submissions. This time, we're exploring juke/footwork styles. If you're not familiar with the style, give these great mixes by DJ Innes a listen:

GUIDELINES

A little less strict than last time..

- Any version of Nanoloop is allowed (including multiple copies of same/different versions). This includes the iOS/Android versions; this time, sampling is allowed.
- One additional device is allowed. This can be another gameboy running LSDJ, a Pocket Operator, Volca Sample etc.. but just to keep it fun and challenging, keep it to something small and/or

limited. Nanoloop should still be taking care of most of the sound.

- Maximum length of 10 minutes.
- Keep BPM in the 150-170 range, but preferably 160. This may be released as a mixed version as well as unmixed, so it'd be nice to have consistent tempo throughout. Having said that, 96bpm "scuff" will also be accepted.
- NO external effects, with the exception of using EQ/compression. However, please leave your tracks unmastered; this compilation will be mastered externally.
- Editing after recording is permitted.
- Collaborations are permitted and encouraged!

DEADLINE AND SUBMISSIONS

1st December 2018. Get on it!

Please upload lossless files only. Name them with your artist name first, then the track title.

Upload your submission to Dropbox, Google Drive (**PLEASE** check your permissions, as there were a couple of submissions last year that I couldn't access), your own hosting, or similar, along with a text file (named exactly the same as your audio file), containing your artist name, track title, and any additional notes including the version(s) of nanoloop used, and external gear (if any).

We're aiming for a January 2019 release.

Edited by modey

• 4 weeks later...

I'm super keen. The weakness of nanoloop for me has always been the unreliability of old handhelds; if this unit has good battery life and sound, it'll be a real game changer.

I'm super keen. The weakness of nanoloop for me has always been the unreliability of old handhelds; if this unit has good battery life and sound, it'll be a real game changer.

i'm still hard for the hyperkin ultra gameboy. aluminum case, lion rechargeable battery, and a real screen for ~$100. announced in jan, supposed to be out this summer but not heard anything in like 9-10 months =\

its interesting moving the start button over with the face buttons. makes sense but definitely unexpected.

Yeah but the hyperkin sadly won't run nanoloop 2.. None of the clones do :/

Really looking forward to seeing this, especially with a custom LED screen. Bet it's gonna be lush.

Yeah but the hyperkin sadly won't run nanoloop 2.. None of the clones do :/

Really looking forward to seeing this, especially with a custom LED screen. Bet it's gonna be lush.

doubt this will either. i'm actually not even sure it'll run nano1/nanomono or just whatever this new fm synth thing is. i asked directly on twitter and got no response -_-

Well yeah I mean that's the point. A standalone dedicated nanoloop handheld, no cart required. I guess what I meant was, I'll keep using my DS lite/GBAs to run my cart versions, but having a dedicated device will be awesome. I rarely play games on my handhelds, they're just nanoloop devices 99% of the time!

Edited by modey

Neither nanoloop2 or mono use the sound of the gameboy hardware though (well, nl2 does but it's pcm so could be anything).. which is fine by me because I'm getting really sick of the DMG sound. Nanoloop for me has always been about the interface.

It sounds great. I just can't bring myself to use it though, as the general feel, interface and storage* are better on the GBA version.

* The mobile version has specific "song" files which can't be easily combined with others; the gameboy versions use banks of patterns which can be mixed and matched even between different banks. Makes it really easy to play live and mess with arrangements.

What about the iPhone app. Good or bad?

I did a couple weeklybeats on it when I was away from home. I think it's a good thing, especially I like the ability to sample with the phone mic. I use it on a iPhone SE though, so for my huge fingers the UI sucks a bit. All this is mostly due to me not using it nearly enough though.

With weeklybeats the biggest hassle was converting the WAV from nanoloop into an mp3 - I probably was doing everything wrong, but the only way I could figure it out was to upload the file to some cloud service and have it convert for me. And after conversion I really did not have a good way to audition the file to see if it came out OK either, because saving & using actual downloaded files seems not to be a thing Steve Jobs imagined people would be doing on the device. I think it's possible with some Dropbox builtin audio player, but what a kludge!