IGNORED

Behringer Synth

pH1

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure about the effects. I feel they enhanced the Prophet 6 so much that people will rely on them far too much and you will be able to pick out the sound everywhere (that won't strictly be the case, not everyone gives a shit)

It's really fun to have effects on board for the insta satisfaction of course. It does stop people working hard for new sounds I think.

I was thinking more along the lines of accessibility and such. I'm not the type to try to pick out a synth from a recording other than like a 303 or going 'those floaty pads are nice, wonder how they got them'.

I disagree it stops people from making new sounds. The ones that want to do so always will - and the ones that want presets and the like are justified in their own right because not everyone is a super hacker when it comes to making a tune or plunking around for fun. Having an even shitty multi effects engine on a piece of hardware is a weird plus to me. You can always turn them off.

Guest Chesney

Very true. I am aware that not everyone has the same warped mindset I have about how to go about synthesising sounds. I am alone or at least in a minority that battles with those silly thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chppnao3OfU

dunno why its not embedding.   starts the musics at 7:00 ish

some more at 12:30ish

I think the unison on this thing sounds quite nice!  I havent heard anything like an oberheim to compare it to but every patch ive liked has been a unison one.  it makes it nice n sparkly 

On paper (even "just" the 12 note polyphony), the DeepMind 12 is a powerful analog synth that anyone could've only dreamed of existing for $1000.  It doesn't even make sense how good this is.  However, of course it looks kind of meh, and even though the sound is somewhat weak, slight overdrive should fix this.

This could really be the analog superstar of our times, if it doesn't come bug ridden and faulty.

I'M INTERESTED IN THIS!

This is probably going to sell 50,000+ units the first 6 months or someshit.

The double stacking of the oscs for 6 note polyphony is a nice touch. I don't think I'll be getting one though.

Can someone just post a video where it's being played for longer than 2 minutes with different sounds?! That performance was absolutely cringe-worthy from the two British hip-bots. Actual WTF moment for me. 

At this point it's becoming a little unnerving that they haven't put up any hardcore demos. 

At this point it's becoming a little unnerving that they haven't put up any hardcore demos. 

There isnt one, we are being 'teased'  its the new thing in the EDM-ware world

Guest bitroast

the world of hype and pre-orders

the world of hype and pre-orders

They learned it from the AAA gaming industry and it's pretty repugnant (although not nearly as bad in the synth world yet) but if this thing delivers I can overlook it this time.

its a hard one isnt it..

Roland are going to have an entire boutique studio of everything they have ever made you can fit in one bag (maybe with decent midi), vs behringer who are going to copy everything roland have ever done and put a fancy screen on it + decent midi but bigger & more money

oh what to do

Yeah from the demos ive heard I wasnt impressed. I must admit I havent been delving too deep into the poly market, do you have any good examples close at hand?  I defo remember the filter is quite bland (again from limited delving around the hype/release time)

Yeah from the demos ive heard I wasnt impressed. I must admit I havent been delving too deep into the poly market, do you have any good examples close at hand?  I defo remember the filter is quite bland (again from limited delving around the hype/release time)

Can't think of any specific ones off the top of my head. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and most of them sounded good to me which is pretty unusual. Can't think of any that were particularly good except the Mark Doty ones which are up to his usual standards.

I thought it was lame that you only had LPF filters until I heard them demonstrated in some of those videos and then I realized with the resonance compensation that it's more like an LPF and pseudo-BPF and peak/high shelf EQ in one. My Mirage has a similar behavior and I've found that I actually like it.

People forget that until relatively recently the whole Juno series (and DCO polysynths generally) were considered useful but fairly bland, out of date mid level players' synths with relatively sterile DCOs, relatively generic filters and a decent but very limited preset chorus, and this is based on them. 

I love junos, but "sterile" isn't a bad description for them at all.

I've decided to hold off on this thing until I can actually try one though. Done of the demos really show whether the controls are smooth, and digital control on an analog synth always makes me suspcious until I can check it first hand.

People forget that until relatively recently the whole Juno series (and DCO polysynths generally) were considered useful but fairly bland, out of date mid level players' synths with relatively sterile DCOs, relatively generic filters and a decent but very limited preset chorus, and this is based on them. 

I love junos, but "sterile" isn't a bad description for them at all.

I borrowed my cousin's Juno (actually it was a Hohner I think? Basically a Juno-60 under a different brand name, w/ built-in speakers) and this was just what I found. Mostly pretty bland, and I was having a really hard time not bumping into cliche after cliche. 

I knew that Autechre had used one so I amused myself by getting really close to some tracks. I got really close to Cipater, although that was just as much from the Quadraverb as the Juno. That was the most fun I had with it; I just couldn't find my own territory on it at all. The chorus was really lush though, and the surface felt like quality.

I think you just don't like analog subtractive synths. ;)

They are what you make them. Juno's the JX series and loads of DCO synths were used on tracks that we all probably like. I love my modded JX, but yeah it can be a little bland if you stick in the safe-zone. Effects and patch creativity make a world of difference to me. But I'm lame

I think you just don't like analog subtractive synths. ;)

They are what you make them. Juno's the JX series and loads of DCO synths were used on tracks that we all probably like. I love my modded JX, but yeah it can be a little bland if you stick in the safe-zone. Effects and patch creativity make a world of difference to me. But I'm lame

I think I do, though! Like, I love Drexciya, Aphex and aforementioned 90s Autechre/Gescom. That's a great sound, especially combined with some crunchy samples. I just had trouble getting it out of, yeah, the safe zone. I did manage to get some decent kicks and toms out of the filter, just not much I was into in the way of pads, basses, etc. I've had a few other analog subtractives in the past that I did enjoy the sounds of. 

They are what you make them.

Just to be clear, that's what I was getting at.  Junos are great because they're straightforward and fun and seem to sit in a mix, but there's nothing particularly exotic about them, the current prices are too high and II bet the Behringer does a good job of getting in the ballpark.  A lot of what seemed cool about Junos when I had them around all the time (never did own one) was that they were a really nice starting point, they really worked well with outboard effects.

I'd love to see a really authentic, standalone clone of the chorus though, or better yet the chorus from the first version of the RS09.  I've got the second version and the chorus is great, but the first one's supposedly quite a bit lusher so it must be amazing.  A little desktop box with a Juno filter and chorus, with insert points so you could use them in series or separately, would be fantastic, I have a feeling almost any raw waveforms you put through that would come out sounding pretty Rolandy.

Archived