IGNORED

Behringer Synth

pH1

Yeah that one..

Really getting to love my hybrid studio now.  Even tho im really late to the party ive still learnt some good tricks over the years

Hybrid's the way to go.  I actually sold my old 1/4" 8 track to friend a few months ago, pretty committed to digital for all my tracking at this point, although I still have a 1/4" 2 track in case I really want to mix to tape.

But digital compressors have gotten so good lately (Klanghelm MJUC!) I barely feel any prohibitively-expensive-vintage-compressor envy at all anymore.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that one..

Really getting to love my hybrid studio now.  Even tho im really late to the party ive still learnt some good tricks over the years

Hybrid's the way to go.  I actually sold my old 1/4" 8 track to friend a few months ago, pretty committed to digital for all my tracking at this point, although I still have a 1/4" 2 track in case I really want to mix to tape.

But digital compressors have gotten so good lately (Klanghelm MJUC!) I barely feel any prohibitively-expensive-vintage-compressor envy at all anymore.

youre causing me digital envy (THANKS FOR MENTIONING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)     because ive not heard a digital 'compressor'     that sounds as good as my ssl

ive never used the klanghelm but heard of it

Yeah that one..

youre causing me digital envy (THANKS FOR MENTIONING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)     because ive not heard a digital 'compressor'     that sounds as good as my ssl

ive never used the klanghelm but heard of it

Check it out, I think you'll like it.  In HQ mode it's about as close to hardware as I've heard.

There's the free (cut down) version that you can get and take for a hoon around the block to give you an idea of the tonality.

MJUCjr it is called.

schweeeet

I had a nice dream last night with the behringer synth. it made some amazing upfilter modulated pad sound & did the same thing every time i pressed a key

it was the rack version . There was also some dark haired chick 

There's the free (cut down) version that you can get and take for a hoon around the block to give you an idea of the tonality.

MJUCjr it is called.

This is great on its own and worth trying (it's actually a different compressor than the MJUC that's kind of a hybrid of two of the different models in the full version, so even if you buy it the Jr. is still useful)but it doesn't have HQ mode, which makes a BIG difference.  It's good in normal mode but HQ is more than jsut oversampling, apparently the actual circuit modelling is different and more sophisticated (at the expense of CPU load of course). Whatever the difference is under the hood, it sounds a LOT better, it's not a subtle difference at all to my ear.  It's a really nice software compressor in normal mode, it's probably the best software compressor I've ever heard in HQ.

Point is, even if the Jr. doesn't sound better than any other good compressor plugin to you, don't write off the full version!

With Moog you're also paying for the name, so I'm still hoping it's a bit cheaper (you're paying for the name with Behringer, too).  I hope so anyway.

i'm thinking around Sub37 price point ??

stab in the dark really :^) 

MJUCjr it is called.

This is great on its own and worth trying (it's actually a different compressor than the MJUC that's kind of a hybrid of two of the different models in the full version, so even if you buy it the Jr. is still useful)but it doesn't have HQ mode, which makes a BIG difference.  It's good in normal mode but HQ is more than jsut oversampling, apparently the actual circuit modelling is different and more sophisticated (at the expense of CPU load of course). Whatever the difference is under the hood, it sounds a LOT better, it's not a subtle difference at all to my ear.  It's a really nice software compressor in normal mode, it's probably the best software compressor I've ever heard in HQ.

Point is, even if the Jr. doesn't sound better than any other good compressor plugin to you, don't write off the full version!

Ah thats good to know!   only 24 euros as well, bargain.  Theres some plugs i really like but they all happen to be very expensive - zynaptiq bundle, ircam, melda suite... all together 2k total.. without 2k lying around  

Melda suite contains 74 millions plugs, of course itz expensive! Check the glue by cytomic, one of the best and not too expensive.

P.s. Digital plugs are good enough for me and i prefer digital synths to analogue ones, ...kill me!

Guest bitroast

With Moog you're also paying for the name, so I'm still hoping it's a bit cheaper (you're paying for the name with Behringer, too).  I hope so anyway.

i'm thinking around Sub37 price point ??

stab in the dark really :^) 

yeh true may have shot over. i'm having such a hard time wrapping my head around what the price could be OMG

Ya ive got the free suite, im one of the ones that likes the melda gui..   also got the glue in ableton and its not like my hardware g series clone. going a bit ot here :)

Price for the behringer could be anywhere couldnt it! They wont be able to pull off what korg did with the minilogue I dont reckon, but there are some people saying its hand built in england by midas, no way.  DId you see the difference between the english built midas desks and the chinese ones?   chinese ones are over half the price 

the glue in ableton and its not like my hardware g series clone.

Cause itz a clone maybe. On gearslutz you can find samples against the real deal, ssl's latest superanalogue g series compressor. In the test the glue was the closest emulation, to my ears and to most of other ppl. Slate Digital's grey comp was great too, different from the hw but great.

Melda suite contains 74 millions plugs, of course itz expensive! Check the glue by cytomic, one of the best and not too expensive.

P.s. Digital plugs are good enough for me and i prefer digital synths to analogue ones, ...kill me!

Melda stuff's great, I can't afford to get much of it but the Multiband Convolution one is one of my go-to reverbs.

Between those two, Tokyo Dawn Labs and some of the Toneboosters stuff I'm pretty happy with nothing but <$100USD (mostly well under) plugins for regular mixing tasks.  Kazrog KClip is nice (and cheap) too, but I don't find myself using it that often right now.

Melda stuff's great, I can't afford to get much of it but the Multiband Convolution one is one of my go-to reverbs.

For the past couple of years I've been slowly getting them as they become on sale (they whack on 4 at 50% off every week and I normally go for 1 of them) and eventually when the MTotalBundle becomes a reasonable price (every purchase you make counts towards the bundle) as a result of being on sale I'm gonna bite the bullet and grab the whole thing. And not be able to eat for the rest of the month ;)

For the past couple of years I've been slowly getting them as they become on sale (they whack on 4 at 50% off every week and I normally go for 1 of them) and eventually when the MTotalBundle becomes a reasonable price (every purchase you make counts towards the bundle) as a result of being on sale I'm gonna bite the bullet and grab the whole thing. And not be able to eat for the rest of the month ;)

I was doing the same for a while but I only got a few.  Convolution and Delay are the ones I use most.

Forgot to include DDMF Metaplugin in the list of stuff I couldn't do without now that I have it.

Ah well I love my clone more, its just tons easier to get it sounding sweet for me, my output has got a lot better sounding since that & a hw mixer, a mix of interface & nice sound helping, no doubt. 

im doing the same with the melda stuff, buying bits n bobs until the bundle becomes cheaper.  I really like the modulation options with presets all over the shop contained within the plug, and multiband on everything. so great. Mrhythmizer is good too, currently demoing it & will purchase soon.  havent tried the reverbs or delays yet.

Also really like the look of the powersynth  & demoing that (just watched a load of tutorials to be quicker around the interface) i like all the options it has, loads of different filter types & oscs, modulation is easy & similar to harmor but a different take

Ah well I love my clone more, its just tons easier to get it sounding sweet for me, my output has got a lot better sounding since that & a hw mixer, a mix of interface & nice sound helping, no doubt. 

im doing the same with the melda stuff, buying bits n bobs until the bundle becomes cheaper.  I really like the modulation options with presets all over the shop contained within the plug, and multiband on everything. so great. Mrhythmizer is good too, currently demoing it & will purchase soon.  havent tried the reverbs or delays yet.

Also really like the look of the powersynth  & demoing that (just watched a load of tutorials to be quicker around the interface) i like all the options it has, loads of different filter types & oscs, modulation is easy & similar to harmor but a different take

I do love hardware mixers, I just don't have the space or money for a good one.  Been getting better results with very conservative use of Klanghelm SDRR (basically no saturation at all, everything at zero, just adding a bit of crosstalk on the 2buss and sometimes submixes) than I could get out of anything I can afford.

To be honest, I think a huge apart of why I used to be unsatisfied with my old ITB mixes was of not very good converters and the ability to have tons of instances of compressors without having the experience or judgement to use them appropriately, so everything was just overcompressed and dull by the end of it. Since I started taking the "almost inauduble subtle changes from any given plugin adding up along the signal path" approach things have gotten way better. Working in hardware kind of does that automatically, since you only have so many channels and so many pieces of gear (and each channel is a bunch of different circuits changing the signal subtly, even if you run everything flat.

The only mixers I have anymore are a Soundcraft EPM-8 for doing hardware submixes OOB, an old Quantum 8x4 mixer a friend found in the garbage a long time ago that's in the closet waiting for a recap, and my old 4 track.  All of which I consider effects more than mixers.

Yes! I was thinking this the other day, how one set of calculation doesnt seem to do much but if you add a lot of of vsts slowly on top of each other with small changes you end up with something quite good at the end.

Archived