IGNORED

Military coup in Turkey

Ifeelspace

Obama has come out to support the democratically elected government.

Looks like coup is done, apparently Turkish military leaders have called on soldiers involved to return to bases.

Also Turkish police have arrested some soldiers.

Very little popular support, military splintered. Poor planning all around.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obama has come out to support the democratically elected government.

Looks like coup is done, apparently Turkish military leaders have called on soldiers involved to return to bases.

Also Turkish police have arrested some soldiers.

Very little popular support, military splintered. Poor planning all around.

Can you link me to an article or something?

Lol if true, that ended quickly.

I don't know shit about politics in that region (or... anywhere really) but I just don't want to see more bloodshed...

Has anyone from the US gov't commented on the situation that's developing? I've not been able to find anything. Just curious.

jesus tapdancing christ has the whole world gone mad?

nah, just a lil global warming and overpopulation of the human infestation

She's been in power a few days and pulling this already?
Nothing of substance from the US yet.

edit - May seems P heinous.

The US was probably just making sure the nukes we station there were secure.

You read that right - we have nuclear bombs there at a joint USAF - Turkish military air base via NATO warhead sharing agreements.

Some perspective though, this is not the first coup or coup attempt in a NATO member state, and in the middle east the military tends to be a less than ideal force of stability. Also unlike other Muslim countries a lot of antigovermnet sentiment is actually liberal and secular

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-15/brief-history-coups-nato-nations

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Antigovernment sentiment in turkey i mean. I have a Turkish friend who doesnt even want to visit because of the state of things now.

even if obama and the gang believed the coup was justified, you can't just go around telling people they can overtake the goverment by force if they feel like it. so i would take any 'statements' with a grain of salt.

are we sure this is a bad thing? was just reading that turkey's military has historically done this somewhat regularly...? i'm totally uninformed about that country though

Indeed, turkey does this every 10 years or so when the government starts getting a lil too religious.

source: phd in turkey history from browsing reddit for 2 minutes.

Yeah the army seems to see itself as custodian of Ataturk's secular legacy and will "intervene" occasionally if it thinks the elected government steers too far towards religious conservatism. Kind of a shame it failed IMO since Erdogan is a world-class cunt. I doubt it would have actually led to bloodshed if it had succeded (not that I have much to base that opinion on lol, but Turkey isn't nearly as fucked up as Egypt or Pakistan where much bloodier versions of this shit seem to happen every few years)

Guest WNS000

A very small part of the army tried to do a coup? Something feels strange about it don't you think, guys? I am usually against conspiracy theories but false flag would not surprise me in this case. Erdogan is now free to destroy the rest of the opposition.

It's not a false flag but they were afraid to go all the way and thought maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't get lynched if they didn't mow down pro-Erdogan civilians. They were wrong.

Guest WNS000

It's not a false flag but they were afraid to go all the way and thought maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't get lynched if they didn't mow down pro-Erdogan civilians. They were wrong.

You don't do a coup in the first place if your chances are so low that you are afraid of civilian backlash. There have never been such weak, badly prepared coup in the past in Turkey. I mean Erdogan air-travelled to Istanbul when there were combat helicopters of the army doing the coup and with tanks on the ground. Seems very unrealistic. Also what would such small part of the army doing the coup expect? That they can win this against the rest of one of the strongest armies in the world today? Very unlikely to me.

Or it might have been a trap for selected parts of the army that Erdogan wanted to identify and sweep in one massive action.

I am afraid we will never know the truth though.

One of my friends has a bunch of friends from Turkey and they've told him that all of this might actually be a good thing since the military is pro atatürk and democracy.

I dunno though... There's been a lot of casualties, sooooo...

You don't do a coup in the first place if your chances are so low that you are afraid of civilian backlash. There have never been such weak, badly prepared coup in the past in Turkey. I mean Erdogan air-travelled to Istanbul when there were combat helicopters of the army doing the coup and with tanks on the ground. Seems very unrealistic. Also what would such small part of the army doing the coup expect? That they can win this against the rest of one of the strongest armies in the world today? Very unlikely to me.

Or it might have been a trap for selected parts of the army that Erdogan wanted to identify and sweep in one massive action.

It all seems poorly planned and executed, but we have to acknowledge this is a constutional obligation for the army since way back, that maybe just a small portion still decides to honor. They probably fully expected to be arrested, tried to minimize collateral to be judged leniently and maybe gain civilian support, and a few miscalculations later we end up with this. Maybe a larger part of the army would jump in if they were more successful. But successful coups are bloody business. If it's an Erdogan scheme, like you said we'll probably never know.

Guest WNS000

It all seems poorly planned and executed, but we have to acknowledge this is a constutional obligation for the army since way back, that maybe just a small portion still decides to honor. They probably fully expected to be arrested, tried to minimize collateral to be judged leniently and maybe gain civilian support, and a few miscalculations later we end up with this. Maybe a larger part of the army would jump in if they were more successful. But successful coups are bloody business. If it's an Erdogan scheme, like you said we'll probably never know.

Yeah, multiple scenarios possible.

Has there been any additional info about the Turkish expat in Pennslyvania, Gulen being behind this? I kept seeing him mentioned yesterday.

Above all else I'm worried this is only going to strengthen Erdogan.

Guest WNS000

Has there been any additional info about the Turkish expat in Pennslyvania, Gulen being behind this? I kept seeing him mentioned yesterday.

Above all else I'm worried this is only going to strengthen Erdogan.

I have no more info. Just that Gulen denied his involvement but Erdogan still blames him for it.

So 2745 judges just got fired, probably to be replaced by people hand picked by Erdogan. Turkey is going to shit.

Shit, 160ppl dead, I was wrong about the bloodless bit then... And now mass arrests, yep this'll only play into Erdogan's hands

Archived