IGNORED

Stranger Things

Atop

I hated it because while it references so much of what has already been mentioned, it just has absolutely nothing to offer without that stuff. I'm all for 80s revival entertainment, I really love it when artists evoke that era yet giving it some unique twist.

But Stranger Things has none of that. It nauseatingly borrows from almost everyone else without a single original idea of its own. There isn't a single thing in it that hasn't been done before - often much better. Looking around the internet, I cannot believe the praise it's been given.

Even the main romantic lead looks like Mia Sara around 1985.

12328161_505532609616592_620274920_n.jpg

I really, really, enjoyed this - considering my age where most of these tropes and references I experienced first-hand in the decades they were created, this was a pleasure-filled nostalgia trip.

If you can't see this show is an homage and love letter to all these things, then you're missing the point of the show.

I'm curious if the story in the second season will continue with the first, or a new story will be told (the series strikes me more of something along the lines of American Horror Story, where there is a new story each season). Hoping for a new story, although I wouldn't mind a continuation of the first season.

I also experienced the 80s in my mid-twenties. The warm glow of nostalgia isn't enough to carry this show. It's okay to be an homage to the culture of that decade but when you don't bring a single unique idea to the table then that's another. I was frankly stunned at what they blatantly ripped off from other people.

The point of this show is just to take from everyone who came before, mix it in some kind of nostalgic stew and wait for the round of applause.

Edited by fumi

I hated it because while it references so much of what has already been mentioned, it just has absolutely nothing to offer without that stuff. I'm all for 80s revival entertainment, I really love it when artists evoke that era yet giving it some unique twist.

But Stranger Things has none of that. It nauseatingly borrows from almost everyone else without a single original idea of its own. There isn't a single thing in it that hasn't been done before - often much better. Looking around the internet, I cannot believe the praise it's been given.

Even the main romantic lead looks like Mia Sara around 1985.

12328161_505532609616592_620274920_n.jpg

Yeah, everything in it is so utterly contrived. They even chose actors whose faces resemble the goofy kids from 80s Amblin entertainment.

skx8q3cu.jpg MBuDw9ze.jpg

Edited by fumi

Looks like the novelty wore off pretty quickly on this show. On page 1 we had the 30 something hipsters basking in the nostalgia and tons of obvious comparisons to other things which everyone already knew but didn't mention because they're so obvious. The story ran out of steam and that's why this thing faltered. The hype was good while it lasted.

Looks like the novelty wore off pretty quickly on this show. On page 1 we had the 30 something hipsters basking in the nostalgia and tons of obvious comparisons to other things which everyone already knew but didn't mention because they're so obvious. The story ran out of steam and that's why this thing faltered. The hype was good while it lasted.

Are you saying this having watched it completely, or are you assuming as such?

?

the story didn't have steam to begin with. are there unobvious comparisons to make? the whole show is just references to really obvious 70s and 80s pop culture. beyond the black rainbow might be the most obscure thing. whoever said this was like looking at someone's tumblr is spot on.

There is no story in a true sense. It's just a endless sequence of set pieces taken from other movies and TV serials from the 1980s.

I gave up when the boy was showing 'Eleven' around his house and explaining what everything did - exactly like Elliott did with E.T.

And then they both get to wear wigs as a disguise.

Needful Stranger Things. LOL. It's SOOO bad.

lRiFileN.jpg h0RbWwD8.jpg

1rAAaxyE.jpg

0Mc9QKMu.jpg

Are you saying this having watched it completely, or are you assuming as such?

5 episodes in. The one thing i did sort of like about it was the casting. Old Matthew Modine is double for Peter Coyote. But then again if you are casting likeness' like that it distracts from the drama. Be a homage but don't expect everyone to like it.

maybe shouldn't judge this one episode in but, nothing in it seems very strange at all. Wonder how they made it through writing without falling asleep,

Made it halfway through, but I won't be continuing. It's a competent execution but it really brings nothing new to the table. It felt like a cool mood board or like scrolling through a tumblr. I assume younger people may love it, the ones who are experiencing these tropes and atmospheres for the first time.

this. my fiancee and i thought the same thing. made it through a handful of episodes and it was some good stuff, but nothing enthralling enough to make us want to keep watching. And this is coming from a huge fan of stephen king, cronenberg, and carpenter. I dig some of the references, but they do feel slightly like held back safe nods rather than a full on tribute or something else completely original. But i its better than 90% of the garbage shows out there so nice work Netflix.

Made it halfway through, but I won't be continuing. It's a competent execution but it really brings nothing new to the table. It felt like a cool mood board or like scrolling through a tumblr. I assume younger people may love it, the ones who are experiencing these tropes and atmospheres for the first time.

this. my fiancee and i thought the same thing. made it through a handful of episodes and it was some good stuff, but nothing enthralling enough to make us want to keep watching. And this is coming from a huge fan of stephen king, cronenberg, and carpenter. I dig some of the references, but they do feel slightly like held back safe nods rather than a full on tribute or something else completely original. But i its better than 90% of the garbage shows out there so nice work Netflix.

That's the whole problem with it - an endless sequence of safe nods and nothing more. I watched nearly every episode and could not find a single moment of originality within. Younger people who are new to these Stranger familiar things might be better off just watching Firestarter & E.T.

That's the whole problem with it - an endless sequence of safe nods and nothing more. I watched nearly every episode and could not find a single moment of originality within. Younger people who are new to these Stranger familiar things might be better off just watching Firestarter & E.T.

Hahaha well said! And re: "strange"... Man, this era's definition of strange, weird, dark, bizarre, in general is just sad. It's all mostly recycled, safe, pre-packaged, over produced. There are exceptions of course, and I can go off on tangents about this all, but I feel like, even in music following a lotta current stuff in fringe movements, dark, creepy, eerie, shocking, strange etc just doesnt seem to carry through the same way through today's digital download / netflix / spotify / high production venues.

In terms of discovering cool strange things, for me not many experiences can compare to something like the mystery, bizarreness, strangeness and weirdness of stumbling upon something called ANALOGUE BUBBLEBATH 3 on CD in the Aphex Twin section of Best Buy's music section when I was like 16. Imagine that.. A release you never knew existed amongst a vast catalog of underground releases by the myth the man the legend that is rdj, which were NOWHERE to be found on any kind of Wikipedia or Discogs. Nope, we stumbled into cool shit in their physical form before we even knew they existed, no pre-research. :D

Sorry to be all grandpa over here, but man, what it was like to be fully immersed IRL.

Edited by Lane Visitor

this show is like a bubble bath. i want to be uncomfortable when i'm taking in horror, not coddled until i fall asleep. this is like a.a. milne's definition of "strange". this whole nostalgic creative generation sucks imo, completely juvenile and unable to produce anything beyond rote pastiche.

Might have to reactivate my old Netflix account, once I was done with Breaking Bad and the first season of Better Call Saul I was a bit bored with it. There's only so many British gangster and football hooligan films I can stomach. Oh and having the second and third films of a series (Paranormal Activity and Iron Man spring to mind) but not the bloody first. Cheers Netflix Bloke.

Might have to reactivate my old Netflix account, once I was done with Breaking Bad and the first season of Better Call Saul I was a bit bored with it. There's only so many British gangster and football hooligan films I can stomach. Oh and having the second and third films of a series (Paranormal Activity and Iron Man spring to mind) but not the bloody first. Cheers Netflix Bloke.

Netflix catalog in the UK is but a shadow of what's on offer in the US. I don't think many people in the USA realise this. They assume it's the same.

Netflix catalog in the UK is but a shadow of what's on offer in the US. I don't think many people in the USA realise this. They assume it's the same.

Yeah I get that impression, I was having a chat quite some time ago with a few watmmers and they were talking about all these programs on Netflix (it's just popped into my head it was Twin Peaks) and there was F all on the UK catalog. Its pretty piss poor imo. Having said that I keep meaning to catch up on all the David Attenboroughs like Frozen Planet and Africa and its quite good for that.

Loved it. Binged the shit out of it. Soundtrack was top-notch. I was initially thinking the non-stop references were detracting, but I got hooked anyway and I feel it became it's own thing by the end. Just a great vibe throughout, great atmosphere, and damn good acting.