IGNORED

Stranger Things

Atop

Yeah I loved it, can't wait to see what they do with the next season. Kinda hoping they'll run more episodes next time, this season was short but sweet. Perfect thing to watch over the course of a weekend.

And, if you didn't already guess, Stranger Things will have a second season - the Duffer brothers, who are the series creators, had this to say about season two:

Matt Duffer says season two will be “more of a sequel” than a second season:

We don’t answer all the questions by the end of the season — there are definitely some dangling threads. The hope is that it feels satisfying but that we left room and that if people respond to it we can go back into this world. But if we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel.

Ross Duffer chimed in:

There’s a lot there we don’t know or understand. Even with ‘The Upside Down,’ we have a 30-page document that is pretty intricate in terms of what it all means, and where this monster actually came from, and why aren’t there more monsters — we have all this stuff that we just didn’t have time for, or we didn’t feel like we needed to get into in season one, because of the main tension of Will. We have that whole other world that we haven’t fully explored in this season, and that was very purposeful.

I don't know what this says about creativity for the younger generation.

Don't bother working really hard for two or three years struggling to write something original like a fucking mug.

Just lift scenes directly from other movies.

Don't bother working really hard for two or three years struggling to write something original like a fucking mug.

Again, I think you are missing the point of this show.

But there are too many movies and shows that do this. I kinda feel like we don't need any more remakes, tributes, homages, inspired-by's for a quite a long time, as there's been no shortage of those at all lol

Hollywood has become a shadow of itself. Every now and then, an original idea comes out with a decent budget, but even then amongst those small occurances, it's very hard to find those kinds of productions that aren't compromised in some major way.

Edited by Lane Visitor

But there are too many movies and shows that do this. I kinda feel like we don't need any more remakes, tributes, homages, inspired-by's for a quite a long time, as there's been no shortage of those at all lol

Hollywood has become a shadow of itself. Every now and then, an original idea comes out with a decent budget, but even then amongst those small occurances, it's very hard to find those kinds of productions that aren't compromised in some major way.

it's kinda late to dislike them now. reboots/remakes, tributes, homages etc are officially a new genre for the current generation that (supposedly) cannot watch originals because they can't identify with anything made 20+ years ago.

for the studios, they already have a built in audience (star wars: a new hope/the force awakens reboot/sequel) they're easier to license (eg. fox license for spider-man and fantastic four) and they almost always make lots of money because most audiences aren't adventurous film lovers (how many youtube reviewers mainly review blockbusters as opposed to indie films or foreign cinema?)

it's a strangely symbiotic relationship because as much as people cry they're tired of remakes/reboots- those are almost always the biggest films, because we can never have enough jason bourne films

it's kinda late to dislike them now. reboots/remakes, tributes, homages etc are officially a new genre for the current generation that (supposedly) cannot watch originals because they can't identify with anything made 20+ years ago.

for the studios, they already have a built in audience (star wars: a new hope/the force awakens reboot/sequel) they're easier to license (eg. fox license for spider-man and fantastic four) and they almost always make lots of money because most audiences aren't adventurous film lovers (how many youtube reviewers mainly review blockbusters as opposed to indie films or foreign cinema?)

it's a strangely symbiotic relationship because as much as people cry they're tired of remakes/reboots- those are almost always the biggest films, because we can never have enough jason bourne films

i mean, true. you're right as to why. but it's still pretty aggravating lol

Edited by Lane Visitor

As I mentioned a page or two back, I've nothing against homages and revival stuff where the artist takes a couple of cues from older material and weaves in something else to create something new and exciting. What I really dislike is just wholesale lifting of other movie makers work because you do not have any talent or imagination whatsoever or are too lazy to try and come up with original work of your own

Lots of stuff these days references older movies (particularly the 70's & 80's) but with Stranger Things I've never seen such a staggering attempt to borrow from the past without any qualms or accountability. There is a fine line between an homage and just plain stealing.

Might have to reactivate my old Netflix account, once I was done with Breaking Bad and the first season of Better Call Saul I was a bit bored with it. There's only so many British gangster and football hooligan films I can stomach. Oh and having the second and third films of a series (Paranormal Activity and Iron Man spring to mind) but not the bloody first. Cheers Netflix Bloke.

Netflix catalog in the UK is but a shadow of what's on offer in the US. I don't think many people in the USA realise this. They assume it's the same.

Yeah I get that impression, I was having a chat quite some time ago with a few watmmers and they were talking about all these programs on Netflix (it's just popped into my head it was Twin Peaks) and there was F all on the UK catalog. Its pretty piss poor imo. Having said that I keep meaning to catch up on all the David Attenboroughs like Frozen Planet and Africa and its quite good for that.

The UK Netflix did have Twin Peaks on a while ago. For some stupid fucking reason they got rid of it.

I walked in on my roommate watching this and was instantly hooked. Love the 80s aesthetic and just generally how it's shot.

I felt like this show juggled its influences well enough that they all kind of blurred together, to just give you the feeling of the era itself. I get tired of remake culture too, and it's legit to criticize the lack of creativity out there, especially in big-budget films, but this show really worked for me. I think it legitimately captures a lot of what made its influences so fun to watch, in terms of editing, pacing, camera work, etc.

i don't see the issue with the homages because they are clearly nods towards those classics rather than them stealing the ideas and trying to claim them as their own.

And, if you didn't already guess, Stranger Things will have a second season

that hasn't yet confirmed

"We want to let it breathe a little bit" Ted Sarandos, Netflix chief content officer

"But there's a bigger mythology, and there's a lot of dangling threads at the end. We could explore it if Netflix wanted to continue." - Matt Duffer

Edited by Nebraska

Hollywood has been rehashing and reinventing itself since its inception - Star Wars was inspired by the Flash Gordon movies of the 40's and the Akira Kurosawa films, etc.

If anything, I think when a truly original idea does come along, it stands out and is more special. The problem is, there just really isn't many original, GOOD ideas anymore.

all of the influences mashed together made it into something new in my opinion.

Rewatching it and enjoying how much it feels like something straight from the 80's.

Poor Barb.

Hopper is my hero.

Winona is still cute as fuck.

Soundtrack is so amazing.

Buy all of S U R V I V E 's music and KDIXON on bandcamp.

Hollywood has been rehashing and reinventing itself since its inception - Star Wars was inspired by the Flash Gordon movies of the 40's and the Akira Kurosawa films, etc.

If anything, I think when a truly original idea does come along, it stands out and is more special. The problem is, there just really isn't many original, GOOD ideas anymore.

that's the problem i have with this show. it isn't good. it's bringing nothing to the table to subvert or reinvent the ideas it exploits. it's just a checklist of eighties references. star wars functioned as a kind of found art object, a dream of serialized fantasy from the forties with cutting edge special effects and a well developed, universally appealing mythology of its own.

one of the larger problems with nerd culture suddenly co-opting popular culture and especially movies is the tidal wave of reference laden, plot based films and television shows that reduce narrative story telling to its most basic components. there are no "original" ideas, obviously. everything is the sum of its influences. but a good artist can focus their influences into a statement that gives us some sense of their feelings about the world, some kind of self expression, even if its through the somewhat myopic prism of pop nostalgia. what i get watching stranger things is that the duffer bros watched a lot of shit in the eighties and read stephen king. i have no idea who they are, what they feel, what the purpose of their work is. and then the work itself fails to entertain or surprise. it's a game of spot the reference. this is what most films have been reduced to. either an ideological checklist a blogger can write thinkpieces about (did we have a strong female protagonist, did we subvert the patriarchal/racist hollywood paradigm, was it problematic?) or a bunch of references and techniques that a redditor can create a front page post about (here's all the shots in stranger things that reference other films). it's boring, lowest common denominator commercial art and i think we can do better.