IGNORED

MPC question...

TRiP

• 1 month later...

Fellow MPC'er...a quick question!

I've set up my MIDI channels for each track, they work....now how do i save this as a patch/program/preset (Still not down with the MPC lingo) which i can load when i boot it up....rather than manually setting up the channels each time?

Tried a few things but every time i restart it I loose my 'preset' (what do you call it?)

This is on the MPC 2500...but hopefully it applies to many of them?

• 2 years later...

I have an MPC Live, really love it. I mainly use it to sequence my hardware synth and to program drums. One of my favorite things to do on it is to sample percussion sounds I've programmed on synths and then make beats with those on the MPC.

When making a track, I usually jam a bunch of sequences into the MPC (basslines, pads, lead melodies, synth sound effects, drum beats, etc.) and then record those into Ableton as individual tracks). This workflow is nice, because once you have a nice beat, you can easily mute things from the sequence and record all the separate drum sounds individually as Ableton tracks (to separate the kick, snare, hats, claps, etc.) and then process them individually and then group them and put a nice buss compression on there. I've never tried to do performances of whole songs on the MPC Live, but I think it would be very easy with the mute group feature, and you can also integrate the MPC into your DAW with the MPC 2.0 software/plugin. I haven't done this, but if I was ever going to perform with the MPC, I'd probably just render individual tracks from ableton onto a usb drive and then sample them into the MPC. It would be really fun and intuitive to jam with those individual tracks that way, and it's also probably easier to just integrate the MPC with the DAW in order to do this but I'm a slow learner when it comes to integrating a computer with gear for live performances. Whenever I see people performing with a laptop on stage I always think 'what a bunch of nerds.' Probably not the best attitude just how I feel. 

One last thing: I've struggled in the past to tune my drum sounds to the key of individual tracks: tried using Ableton's stock pitch shifting in clips and also Waves soundshifter, but I've discovered that the pitch shifting on the MPC live is the best (fewest artifacts, most faithful to the timbre and transients of the non-pitchshifted sample) so long as it's only shifted a few semi-tones or less.

Archived