Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

plugin sales / deals / freebies happening now

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#26 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:43 AM

thanks mcbpete! i can second that the ilok software isn't too bad, i use it for a couple of thingos and once you set it up things seem to run ok. however you need to have bonjour enabled as a service though, which annoys me because i have no use for it otherwise. i think you only need to worry about this when scanning your plugin folder though (ableton user). if you scan with bonjour set to disabled it will fuck up the plugins until you enable the service and rescan with the ilok software open. 

#27 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,356 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

Yeah I *think* that 'bonjour' service is a virtual driver that emulates the ilok key being present in your machine. Be interesting to know if that service runs if you have either of the two hardware iLok versions ... anyone here with an iLok 1 or 2 ?

#28 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

well for starters bonjour is an apple service, so straight away that makes me not want to use it. apparently it's for interfacing with printers? so i guess the virtual ilok tells bonjour it's a real hardware device and somehow this makes stuff work. but to the average idiot like myself it seems unnecessary.

gah you have to download their whole suite of plugins just to get that freebie. word of warning for any keen beans out there. hopefully we can remove all the bloat and just get the freebie..

sorry for yet another post (please feel free to merge all three, pete)

you actually don't download the whole suite, i just assumed that because the file size was about 128mb and other 'freebies' have pulled the same stunt (cough softube cough t-racks). the reason why it's so bloated is because it seems to include installers for the ilok software, so if you already have this on your computer, you can go ahead and delete them out of program files after installing the plugin.

got it all working and it sounds great! the overdrive on it is very nice, i will probably use it mainly for this. thanks again :)

#29 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,356 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

the reason why it's so bloated is because it seems to include installers for the ilok software

Nah it's not just that - the whole thing is stupidly big and the only bugbear I have with Soundtoys: I have the whole suite and it's over a gig each for the 32bit and 64bit installers ! Not sure what's in there but IMO it seems rather bloated for just effects software with no samples or anything. Arturia is almost as bad with the V-Collection suite, found out there's nearly 4gig just for the GUIs - each dial, slider etc. has a completely separate image for each angle or position rather than rotating the image via code. Madness !

#30 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

either way i saved about 70mb by deleting the license manager installer once i got everything working, every little bit counts  :happy:

#31 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

thanks mcbpete! i can second that the ilok software isn't too bad, i use it for a couple of thingos and once you set it up things seem to run ok. however you need to have bonjour enabled as a service though, which annoys me because i have no use for it otherwise. i think you only need to worry about this when scanning your plugin folder though (ableton user). if you scan with bonjour set to disabled it will fuck up the plugins until you enable the service and rescan with the ilok software open. 

iLok works fine I just don't like supporting companies that use restrictive forms of copy protection if I can avoid it.  I already had to buy Pro Tools for a job a few years ago but I'd never use it if I didn't absolutely have to because it feels like time traveling to 2002 in a bad way, and I grudgingly use Wavelab because it's a pretty good program (although buggier than most other programs I've used and Steinberg's tech support is useless) but other than that I don't have a single thing that uses licensing any more restrictive than a key file and I don't feel like I'm missing out a bit.

#32 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Anyway, it's moot this time, since I just bought SlickEQ M the other day and I think between that, original Slick EQ and the Toneboosters stuff I'm pretty well set on EQ.  Especially since I've been getting more in to patching my own dynamic EQs from scratch with Reaper's "modulate parameter with audio source" functionality.  I haven't actually used a regular dynamic EQ plugin for months.

STAdelay is great, by the way, seeing a lot of use for me lately.

Edited by RSP, 30 September 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#33 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

i would still pick this one up though, tbh i'd consider it more of a warmth / overdrive effect than an EQ. it's a pretty simple 3 band affair but it has a real nice tone to it. 

oh, and don't get me started on pro tools. i'm currently studying sound and music design at university at a time when ableton is starting to take over from pro tools, but some teachers still want all the assignments done in pro tools. i'm sure it's a powerful program but holy fuck is it frustrating, it just seems so unnecessarily verbose in so many ways. it seems to take 5 steps to do things that ableton can do in just 2-3. and constantly changing tools when moving audio around is so annoying. props to the monolake lads for having the foresight to develop such a user friendly DAW. 

#34 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,356 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

Avid do the same thing with their NLE, used it for work for a couple of years and .... oh boy was I glad when I was able to move to Premiere

#35 Danny O Flannagin

Danny O Flannagin

You can call me Carl.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 64 topics
  • Joined 11-November 11
  • Interests:Koyaanisqatsi, Minimalism, Reality, Astronomy, People
  • Steam:Carl Sagan

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

i would still pick this one up though, tbh i'd consider it more of a warmth / overdrive effect than an EQ. it's a pretty simple 3 band affair but it has a real nice tone to it. 

oh, and don't get me started on pro tools. i'm currently studying sound and music design at university at a time when ableton is starting to take over from pro tools, but some teachers still want all the assignments done in pro tools. i'm sure it's a powerful program but holy fuck is it frustrating, it just seems so unnecessarily verbose in so many ways. it seems to take 5 steps to do things that ableton can do in just 2-3. and constantly changing tools when moving audio around is so annoying. props to the monolake lads for having the foresight to develop such a user friendly DAW. 

I mean, there is the smart tool which is similar to how Ableton functions, but I agree. I asked someone in sound production why protools was top dog and they said it was basically because they got there first. It wouldn't make sense to strip down a protools studio and switch over to ableton

#36 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

I'm trying so hard to not just turn this into a Pro Tools rant thread.  I could go on and on.

I'm on 10 and will never upgrade unless there's a very compelling job that I need current Pro Tools for, so I can't comment on the new ground-up rewrite they supposedly did for 11, but in 10 at least it was still using the original sound engine from back in the 90s.  It had gon through some upgrades but it was still the same underlying engine.

The big thing for me was that the only way to apply a chain of processes to a project (I was doing audiobooks so bouncing to stereo in real time was out, it would take 8-12 hours) was to do all of your mastering work with RTAS plugins then manually copy over the settings from each plugin in the chain to the non realtime Audiosuite versions of the same plugins (or maybe you could share user presets between versions, I haven't touched Pro Tools in 2 years and honestly can't remember) render each one in a separate pass (each pass makes a separate copy of the track and inflates the project size) and then after all of the different plugins have been rendered I could analyze the file and see if its RMS fits the spec of the company I was doing the work for (that they changed the spec and never told me or sent me the new one for 9 months so the fact that I stayed in spec at all was pure luck) is a whole other matter.  Pro tool's analysis tools at the time didn't conform to any industry standard so their RMS measurements were something like 2db different from what any other program I tried would give me for the same files, but since the head engineer was a Berklee graduate who in a decade of professional work had literally never once used a program other than Pro Tools (he'd actually never heard of offline/nonrealtime rendering before I mentioned it and didn't understand why anyone would need it) everything had to conform to Pro Tools, not AES/EBU or whatever, so even when I mastered in Wavelab (had to do all the editing in Pro Tools because zipped pro tools sessions were the studio standard for sharing stuff so even if I edited somewhere else I'd have to recreate my editing session in Pro Tools before submitting it)

There is exactly one thing about Pro Tools I like, and that's the "paste to selection" function, which some other DAWs have but I can't find in Reaper.  And even that's really only useful for doing voiceover type stuff where you need to replace anything you cut out with room tone.  You can just select a silent passage (not very silent in my case because the recording rooms at the studio were 6'x6' booths with central air vents in them so there was a lot of background noise - this was one of the biggest audiobook publishers in North America and the UK, mind you)

Also the cheapest way I could find to get Pro Tools was to buy an unsold bundle of the previous version with an MBox and then use the free upgrade license that came with it because I bought it after 10 came out - that was actually about 30% cheaper than buying 10 on its own - I have an MBox (the 3rd version that's just Avid MBox).  That sucks too, doesn't sound that spectacular (not bad but since thy normally sell  for about twice what other brands charge you'd want it to sound better than, say, a $150 Behringer but it didn't) and even though I only used it occasionally it failed after about a year and took a microphone with it.

So yeah, I have some opinions about Pro Tools/Avid in general.

#37 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

I studied "music technology" back when that was a new buzzword thing (switched majors because the chair of the music department thought I'd be a good match for their first class of the new tech major) but that was mostly synthesis and composition, not a ton of recording.  The school didn't have much of a studio but they had a Pro Tools rig and the best advice the prof who ran the studio classes gave me was "you don't want to mess around with that unless you absolutely have to make an edit you can't do by punching on ADAT (this was around '99), it's not worth it."

Maybe not good career advice but good creative advice.

#38 cear

cear

Wao Alawo

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • 275 topics
  • Joined 07-August 09
  • Interests:Sonido electronico

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

http://eepurl.com/civWvz

#39 juiceciuj

juiceciuj

mew nember

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 18-August 14
  • PSN:juiceciuj
  • Steam:juiceciuj

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

bla. requires r6. still haven't upgraded ;\

#40 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

sound radix EQ2 is free. you need to sign up for an account there and also for one at focusrite. 

the EQ is a lite version of their surfer EQ2 plug in. only one band will 'surf' or track the input.  still. pretty cool freebie. 

focusrite is giving away a plug in every month or something.. with partners. 

it's their "plug in collective" thing.. 

https://us.focusrite...ugin-collective

not sure if you have to own a focusrite product. i think in some cases you do but some are 'no purchase required'.. varies from month to month i think .

actually you do need to be a focusrite customer.. so if you own a focusrite 'wualifying product' then you get free or discounted stuff

Edited by ignatius, 04 October 2016 - 10:44 PM.

#41 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts
  • 1,678 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • PSN:Droideka7048
  • 3DS Friend Code:2879-0990-8442
  • Nintendo ID:droideka

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

http://www.synthtopi...zed-percussion/

#42 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

here's a freebie for WATMMers.  10 download codes for my sample library "UnDo'. first come first served. 

download here using codes below. 

https://buriedintime.bandcamp.com/yum

9yax-6cxu
yu9j-kxep
3myr-yqr2
58k5-b9ch
rk3g-xz45
d3vz-etvr
pagz-ubzd
xzhj-7jk7
jye7-5ktv
728d-38f9

#43 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

downloading, cheers  :wink:

#44 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

I mean, there is the smart tool which is similar to how Ableton functions, but I agree. I asked someone in sound production why protools was top dog and they said it was basically because they got there first. It wouldn't make sense to strip down a protools studio and switch over to ableton

Ableton wouldn't really make as much sense in a traditional studio, it's really a different kind of  tool that practially created its own niche, but certainly Reaper or Logic or Cubase/Nuendo etc. are all about a decade ahead of Pro Tools on its own turf (especially Reaper, best DAW out there right now as far as I'm concerned

#45 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:08 AM

well we have ableton in the studios at the university i study at and it can do basically everything pro tools can but far more intuitively. makes you wonder if avid deliberately make PT convoluted to make it seem more powerful. as for the multi tool, that's all well and good but it's still fiddly. 

#46 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

well we have ableton in the studios at the university i study at and it can do basically everything pro tools can but far more intuitively. makes you wonder if avid deliberately make PT convoluted to make it seem more powerful. as for the multi tool, that's all well and good but it's still fiddly. 

I'm thinking morem like (huge, 200+ track film score mixes" and things like that, that Pro Tools is used for.  Live does a lot of stuff Pro Tools and other (better) traditional DAWS don't that's irrelevant for that sort of workflow, but unless it hcanged a lot the last version its track management type stuff isn't really on the same level as traditional DAWs simply because that's not what it's for.

But yeah, I have no doubt you could do a more regular mix way easier on Live than Pro Tools bcasue unless you're one of those people who was trained on Pro Tools and has never used anything else (which seems to be a lot of degree-holding professional engineers I've run in to, unfortunately) you could work faster on almost anything.

I will give them this, the keyboard shortcuts are very well thought out and it's really fast to do certain editing tasks in Pro Tools once you get used to working almost entirely from the keyboard.  For me, the problem was always the mixer section and it being generally really unstable on the PC and a huge CPU hog compared to modern programs.  Maybe they improved that with v11 but there's no way I'd ever pay for an upgrade unless I was going to get paid to use it.

EDIT:

Another thing, and this may have changed since version 10, but at least up until 10 it was deliberately crippled and to actually get access to the full feature set you had to pay about $2000(!!!) for the "Complete Production Toolkit" addon.  I forget what it added, but it was definitely stuff that's standard in every other good DAW.

Edited by RSP, 07 October 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#47 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,411 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

last thing i'll say about this as to not get too off track (my bad for bringing this up anyway :p)

i totally agree with your post, also i should add that if i knew pro tools better i'm sure i'd understand the advantages of it compared to other daws. but i also feel like it's fair to say that user friendliness and intuitive design are important features to any software and PT loses points in this area. i get the impression that its extremely long life has lead to it becoming somewhat bloated over the years. what i love about ableton is how well designed it is in terms of how modular it feels and how well it sticks to its own logic. thinking about the future of music software is interesting, we have no idea if something could come along that completely changes the game.

ok so for those reading the thread for freebies, there are a couple here that i grabbed yesterday, they look quite nice :)http://www.tokyodawn...okyo-dawn-labs/

Edited by Mesh Gear Fox, 07 October 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#48 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

last thing i'll say about this as to not get too off track (my bad for bringing this up anyway :p)

i totally agree with your post, also i should add that if i knew pro tools better i'm sure i'd understand the advantages of it compared to other daws. but i also feel like it's fair to say that user friendliness and intuitive design are important features to any software and PT loses points in this area. i get the impression that its extremely long life has lead to it becoming somewhat bloated over the years. what i love about ableton is how well designed it is in terms of how modular it feels and how well it sticks to its own logic. thinking about the future of music software is interesting, we have no idea if something could come along that completely changes the game.

ok so for those reading the thread for freebies, there are a couple here that i grabbed yesterday, they look quite nice :)http://www.tokyodawn...okyo-dawn-labs/

Yeah, in case it got lost in my wall of text I totally agree with YOUR post, I'm not a fan of Pro Tools at all and I think that Pro Tools is cumbersome and limiting and overpriced, except for people who basically started on Pro Tools and know its workflow inside and aout and even in that case it's more a testament to their Pro Tools skills than to Pro Tools itself.  I was just saying I think Ableton is kind of a different beast and I think for the kind of mainstream studios that are locked in to Pro Tools it wouldn't be the most sensible replacement (I imagine a lot of them are using it for the stuff it's best at already, anyhow).

Literally the only reason to use Pro Tools is if you work with studios and need it for compatibility reasons, otherwise there are all sorts of options that are better and cheaper.  The only reason I have it is because I had a freelance editing job in 2013/14 and had to use Pro Tools because that's what the studio I was editing for used so all of the stuff I got was Pro Tools sessions.  I got Pro Tools for about $300 under market value, made about $13k of extra income in one year and blew half of it on gear so it was worth it, but I've never used it for my own stuff and as soon as that work ran out I tossed the iLok in my laptop bag and haven't plugged it in once since because there was literally nothing I couldn't do better and faster in other software and there was a lot of really useful stuff I could do in Reaper that Pro Tools can't do at all.

So yeah, I'm 100% with you, it probably just got lost in the stream of consciousness rambling.

That TDR stuff is fantastic, I'm pretty broke these days but whenever I can afford to I get the paid versions of their plugins.  TDR, Klanghelm (check out their stuff, to, the free plugins are really good), Toneboosters and Valhalla Vintageverb cover like 90% of my plugin needs.  The free versions of the Melda plugins are great, too.  I bought a couple of their commercial ones (convolution, granular, delay) back when I had that freelance job but I mostly use the frree autopan these days).

Edited by RSP, 07 October 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#49 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:43 PM

Didn't have time to link to the free stuff in that last paragraph before my editing time limit ran out, so here it is:

I suspect a lot of people here are already using it but if not, it's all excellent:

http://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

(Free plugins are at the bottom of the page. MJUC Jr. in particular is really nice and I use it even though I got the full MJUC last fall - it doesn't have the high quality mode the full one does, which makes a MASSIVE difference, but it's still a really nice sounding compressor and is actually different from any of the modes in the full version, so it has its own niche)

https://www.meldapro...ownload/plugins

(There's one installer for all of their plugins, some are free others are demos, you have to go through and manually deselect the demos if you just want the free stuff)

Blue Cat Audio's free plugins are great standbys, too.  I use the chorus a lot these days, especially AFTER a reverb on aux sends:

http://www.bluecatau...e_FreewarePack/

#50 user

user

edit

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Joined 16-May 12
  • Interests:none

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

here's a freebie for WATMMers.  10 download codes for my sample library "UnDo'. first come first served. 

download here using codes below. 

https://buriedintime.bandcamp.com/yum

9yax-6cxu
yu9j-kxep
3myr-yqr2
58k5-b9ch
rk3g-xz45
d3vz-etvr
pagz-ubzd
xzhj-7jk7
jye7-5ktv
728d-38f9