IGNORED

Which label is the new Rephlex?

YEK

I still think it's Haord though they've been quiet lately. I just really like their weirdo vibe.

There might be a different frozen memory aesthetic for everyone when thinking back at Rephlex's output. The pining for squiggly acid electro or melodic IDM with lush pads that many of the newer labels are adopting doesn't really reflect a lot of the music Rephlex released, but only select artists. Rephlex were all over the place releasing a lot of different ideas and artists. So, imo, a similar label would have an open feel with a lot of different, new and challenging music. There are probably thousands of those.

• 1 month later...

Colundi is pretty shit though, some weirdo cult thing, even though I have friends into it. They’re not doing any harm. I just don’t get it.

Aphex is #1 to me, his music lead the way. The other guys don’t compete really. I know there’s good stuff on rephlex, but a lot of it was shit. And there’s nobody better than richard at electronic music.

There’s no need for rephlex records any more, for example macc and dgohn had to wait ages to get their record out on rephlex. It was already available on soulseek for ages before the rephlex release.

It was turning into a prestigious brand name, no wonder they ditched it.

Take the example of suction records, they said in their rx101 thread that they prefer people not to share eric’s tracks, even though he already made them public on soundcloud years ago. If rephlex was still alive they would be forced into dick moves like that.

In short, rephlex was alive, now she is dead. Rip.

I’m just bored and playing devil’s advocate here.

• Like 1

This was discussed also here. iirc there were more labels mentioned:

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/83233-braindance-record-labels-thread/

I pretty much still think this:

"Once again would really like to give my shouts to labels like Occult Research, CPU, VUR and Love Love Records. Personally Love Love has managed to fill the void that Rephlex’s quitting left in me. When thinking about it, Love Love’s back-catalogue this far has been in the same spirit as what Rephlex was all about: some acidy braindance [check] in the form of Beatwife, drum’n bass & jungle [check] with dgoHn, some utterly bizarre electronic music [check] like Anklepants and then something that you wouldn’t expect to be released on the label focused on braindance etc. [check] : Beatmaster. So got to give a big hand to Samfez........"

There's kinda point with Worms' post. As a huge Jodey fan I dig how he gets stuff out more frequently through his own Bandcamp than going through the Rephlex mill. I guess it's the same with Perälä and Colundi cult and some other Rephlex roster guys guys (like MNLTH putting out those awesome tape sets). As for the pure labels it's mostly Occult Research, WeMe and Love Love Recs. Still, I'm missing my old not-so-quick-and-fluent buddy boy Rephlex...

Edited by Grumpy Old Daddy

Colundi is pretty shit though, some weirdo cult thing, even though I have friends into it. They’re not doing any harm. I just don’t get it.

Aphex is #1 to me, his music lead the way. The other guys don’t compete really. I know there’s good stuff on rephlex, but a lot of it was shit. And there’s nobody better than richard at electronic music.

There’s no need for rephlex records any more, for example macc and dgohn had to wait ages to get their record out on rephlex. It was already available on soulseek for ages before the rephlex release.

It was turning into a prestigious brand name, no wonder they ditched it.

Take the example of suction records, they said in their rx101 thread that they prefer people not to share eric’s tracks, even though he already made them public on soundcloud years ago. If rephlex was still alive they would be forced into dick moves like that.

In short, rephlex was alive, now she is dead. Rip.

I’m just bored and playing devil’s advocate here.

Mod ban pls.

Colundi is pretty shit though etc etc.

Subjective opinions abound, all clauses validated - but most Rephlex was shit?

I believe Rephlex's broader scope on electronic music was big plus compared to narrowing its catalogue to a particular aesthetic or theme. It's a true music lovers label where the not-so-straightforward approach was encouraged and represented. It was very attractive and downright fun to have them release Robert Normandeau and Lectro Girl, Pierre Bastien and Freakwincey, Hecker and Bodenstandig 2000. From ultra serious to simple fun.

I love a lot of afx's music, and there might be a comfort in feeling that, yes, this person's output is the ultimate in musical expression. But I can't help be feel disheartened with that belief as it's so limiting. There's a massive range of musical expression to enjoy and discover. I really feel Rephlex was a big part of showing that range. Dismissing some of their output as being shit compared to their other releases because of expecting a particular product is cutting out so much amazing art.

• 1 year later...

As I couldn't find more suitable topic, I'll lump this FB announcement here:

"Occult Research is very happy to announce a new distribution partnership with Morr Music! They will be handling physical distribution in the EU, as well as worldwide digital distribution on pretty much all major platforms! The entire digital back catalog will be available soon. About 1/2 of it is up now on Boomkat.com, spotify, apple music, tidal, deezer etc.

Hopefully this helps to significantly lower shipping cost for all you living outside of North America! As always, thank you for your support!!"

https://boomkat.com/labels/occult-research

• Like 2

I think micro labels sharing rosters of artists (polytechnic youth, castles in space, the dark outside, woodford halse, etc) has a certain Rephlex flair, I mean Vibert used to put out albums on a different label almost every time in the 90s.

• 1 month later...

It hasn't been mentioned, and somewhat of a new poster on these forums so not sure how political this answer is (political on discogs lol).

Furthur Electronix and the sub-labels have been filling the gap for me lately. Limited release and exclusivity sucks, but the music is quality and matches the Rephlex aesthetic of a braindance number, a ravey bit, some downtempo detroit-ish electronic and acid techno bits.

Lapsus records has also been doing a few good bits

Also a fan of the mentioned WeMe, CPU, Analogical Force

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Seagrave is killing it at the mo. More Planet mu than Rephlex, especially cos Mike P has released stuff there and Echoplex too. But lot of really good stuff, Fear Ratio and ZNS have put stuff out there recently too.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81