IGNORED

I Need Sounds... For My Phone

Joyrex

Currently, I use some sounds from Earthbound (Mother) on my iPhone for new email, text messages, ringtones (although my ringtone is the "mahna-mahna" song by the Muppets) etc.

I want some new sounds - subtle, cool sounds that are nice to hear repeatedly. Hard to describe, really.

Can anyone suggest a sound pack (free or paid) that might appeal to me?

I figure a community of sound makers surely has to have some suggestions...

I have an iPhone if that matters.

So you're the people I want to smack really hard when their annoying ringtones or text alerts go off...

Seriously - this is the best you guys can do? I mean, Squee was the only one who at least made an effort...

difficult to please today

Although I didnt read "nice to hear repeatedly" ;) 

These are more "nice" --------->

Scanner Ringtones

https://soundcloud.com/scanner/sets/ringtones

Touch Music Ringtones

Also nice, except the fact you have to buy the CD to get this.

http://touch33.net/catalogue/tone_14_touch_ringtones.html

But then again it is from 2002.

kinda off topic, but still related and a thing I keep wondering about:

why don't smartphones (and other devices) make use of synthesis to produce adaptive/generative ringtones and notification sounds?

They have enough processing power to do this... generative sounds could basically convey meaningful information, but we're somehow stuck with primitive "dings" and jingles stored in static pcm audio files. E.g. different melodies/rhythms could encode information such as: who is calling/texting, or type of message. Subtle information could be encoded, you would know what's up before looking at your screen.

It could also just be aesthetically pleasing. Think of emoji, but for audio? It could be explicit, or an app could analyze content of e.g. a text message or a news blurb or whatever, and just introduce subtle variation...

I feel this is a topic that's just totally under explored. Actually it's not explored at all, there's almost nothing about this to be found on the internet, except one company did this once some time ago but there's not much info at all.

I mean just think about all the visual cues we get from our phones: text, icons, avatars, labels, infographics, all the time everywhere. On the audio side it's just: "ding" - weird!

why is this... a thread

Because I am asking the WATMM community, a bunch of people that sound is an important part of their lives - surely somebody has some suggestions...

I always wanted to rip the little menu sound on the Autechre Gantz Graf DVD as a ringtone but I never did, it was a cool little 5-10 second thing I think.

had it as my sms tone.

Aha! Thanks be to you kind azatoth, spreading the joy to all! :) I owe you a beer.

Right you, any kind of ring tone goodness can be found here no matter what the situation:

http://www.ni2.se/downloads/free/Knytt%20Underground%20OST.zip

Dozens and dozens of likely suspects

Christ! almost half a GB! I'll have a look...

I always wanted to rip the little menu sound on the Autechre Gantz Graf DVD as a ringtone but I never did, it was a cool little 5-10 second thing I think.

had it as my sms tone. 

That's lovely... this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about!

I did use a Metroid soundboard five years ago for my ringtones and notification sounds. Might do something similar with the new phone. At the very least change the default obnoxious alarm music I have now...

Archived