IGNORED

Kuedo - Slow Knife

BUNKUM

More info

I was a big fan of Serverant but haven't played it in a while, looking forward to this. Not sure I'm a fan of the artwork at the moment, like the image but not the type.

75062.jpg

Bandcamp

Edited by BUNKUM

This bit has me intrigued...

'Slow Knife’ is almost two albums; the first half, according to Kuedo, invokes the seduction of the city, taking the music of Michael Mann’s ‘Manhunter’ as a cue, with the latter half being inspired by the bloody starscapes and voodoo wilderness of films such as ‘Angel Heart’, ‘Night Of The Hunter’ and more recently the ‘True Detective’ series. Both halves of the album are also in thrall to ‘Ghost In The Shell’ and Mica Levi’s inspiring ‘Under The Skin’ soundtrack, especially in the turbulence of the mid-section.

Something about Severant made me want to like it more than I really did, I guess I really dug the style and mood of it but felt something was missing or whatever. I'll definitely be checking this when more audio is available.

I haven't given his recent(ish) Assertion Of A Surrounding Presence EP as much attention as the Severant era material, better remedy that.

the title track is on the mu20 comp

all i can picture is Crocket and Tubbs making out w/their ladies and driving sports cars around miami at night in a montage. 

• 1 month later...

Something about Severant made me want to like it more than I really did, I guess I really dug the style and mood of it but felt something was missing or whatever. I'll definitely be checking this when more audio is available.

Same... I don't like much of his other stuff but I liked his FACT mix and Severant a lot, and I think, yeah it was the mood of it. I think the trap beats had a lot less aesthetic baggage than they do now. But it really caught my ear when it first came out and I'm still kind of surprised more people weren't into it.

Edited by sweepstakes

Same... I don't like much of his other stuff but I liked his FACT mix and Severant a lot, and I think, yeah it was the mood of it. I think the trap beats had a lot less aesthetic baggage than they do now. But it really caught my ear when it first came out and I'm still kind of surprised more people weren't into it.

It's quite overlooked, much of Jamie Teasdale work is. Severant is literally the blueprint for all of the breakout Dream Catalogue vaporwave albums put out by HKE / 2814 that came out years later - that whole Blade Runner vibe, the use of trap beats in a with more cinematic synths. It's probably a coincidence but there's a similar ethos without a doubt.

Yeah first run through and this is sounding pretty good. Wasn't hugely taken with the last ep but this is much more like it. Playing 'approaching' made my record rack vibrate in a very strange way, must be some serious sub bass going on there.

Cheers, will do. Liked some of Ital Tek's previous stuff for sure.

Severant is fucking excellent so far.

I first came across him on Work, Live & Sleep in Collapsing Space. I dont know why I bought it, must have liked the artwork and had a few extra quid. There was stages where I would listen to this with a beer on Friday nights for weeks, it was so good.

This album is incredible, I can't stop listening to this. Loved Severant but this may surpass that, great cinematic sound design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk