IGNORED

Anyone else loathe "hypester" culture?

TiredOldPotato

If I read old message boards from, say, 2002, folks write with more cynicism and intelligence, whereas now. The hypester has taken over.

"Radiohead's new cd single sounds like Thom should go back to bricklaying and leave music to musicians, this is just a man farting on a record"

Has been replaced with:

"Radiohead is fire. : smh : dat beat tho."

And everything is the next calling according to hypesters, used to be:

"This is a pretty original song from The Chems"

Is now:

"This shit is literally next level."

"wen u watchin netflix and u jam come on itunes"

I hate them.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there have always been people who will blindly love a new artwork/record or whatever from their favorite artist/band whatever

there will always be cynics.

there will always be trends.

welcome to humans.

*lol

I often chime in with little to say on things that are universally liked here on WATMM. It's not because I casually like everything hyped, In fact I abhor PR-ridden taste-maker bullshit (which i assume you mean is "hypester") just as much as anyone else here, I just really don't rant about it because I don't have the time, energy or passion to. In fact I went from reading stuff like pfork and stereogum and FACT daily to ignoring all of them.

My cynical poetic waxing is pretty infrequent lately because I force myself to not really criticize something until I've given it a decent listen and a little bit of time to revisit. Likewise stuff I love I often don't write much about in detail unless it's truly novel. Most stuff I discuss in detail is about an artist or genre in general.

The more people on the internet, the higher the level of uniformity. Unfortunately, witty comments have been reduced to Twitter speech and unfunny meme blasting.

Post a picture of yourself on Instagram wearing hyped sneakers and clothes with the caption "We on an ultra light beam" and you will have too many irl friends to keep track of it's lit

Archived