IGNORED

Anyone else loathe "hypester" culture?

TiredOldPotato

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how to deal with these things either. It makes me sad, feeling old.

When we were kids, we used to have opinions. And we had conversations. With words, either spoken or written.

IMHO

:cerious:

OP sounds like he misses xlt. Zilty always was the more cynical of the two. Back in the days.

This is not an opinion. It is Fact. Capital F. ("F of Fukcing slider")

If I read old message boards from, say, 2002, folks write with more cynicism and intelligence, whereas now. The hypester has taken over.

"Radiohead's new cd single sounds like Thom should go back to bricklaying and leave music to musicians, this is just a man farting on a record"

Has been replaced with:

"Radiohead is fire. : smh : dat beat tho."

And everything is the next calling according to hypesters, used to be:

"This is a pretty original song from The Chems"

Is now:

"This shit is literally next level."

"wen u watchin netflix and u jam come on itunes"

I hate them.

http://i.imgur.com/TPljjhK.gifv

"Radiohead is fire. : smh : dat beat tho."

Is that "smh" a disapproving one or a "fuck yeah I'm gonna mosh my head to this shit" one? :psyduck:

(Also what's wrong with more people saying that they think something's the best thing ever? It's not like criticism or cynicism for things has flown out of the window, also it's nice to have a bit more positivity for once!)

edit: ^also what Nexx said

Smh is in quotes, please don't assume I'd ever use that term except within the context of recurse.

seems like mostly you are having difficulty adapting to modern language that has evolved in the digital world. there is certainly plenty of intelligent criticism these days but it is often veiled in irony maybe in part due to a futility found in directing positive change through sincere expression.

seems like mostly you are having difficulty adapting to modern language that has evolved in the digital world. there is certainly plenty of intelligent criticism these days but it is often veiled in irony maybe in part due to a futility found in directing positive change through sincere expression.

Yep.

This is actually spot on. 

you guys have to admit that talking like this and posting a million emojis all reiterating the same tired "irony" is pretty weak though right? dilutes anything resembling a coherent thought or opinion into a soup of repetitive unfunny memes. 

it expresses a feeling of weakness for sure. but i think a lot of the time the goal now is more so directed at creating sophisticated personal languages in order to not feel isolated in a world that is largely beyond personal influence.

the repetitive aspect of it works nicely as a further expression of futility and existential dread.

you guys have to admit that talking like this and posting a million emojis all reiterating the same tired "irony" is pretty weak though right? dilutes anything resembling a coherent thought or opinion into a soup of repetitive unfunny memes. 

most linguists will disagree with you on this

http://www.techinsider.io/why-steven-pinker-loves-emojis-2015-8

Archived