IGNORED

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Twelvetrees

Yeah I think the chorus will grow on me, and there are parts of excellence in the middle section. I can't help but think of Through The Never (I think that's the one?) for that main riff though..

Hammett's sounding so flat these days imo. Some of the solos on Death Magnetic were alright, but imo he hasn't written a truly great/innovative solo since Reload. I'm hoping for a Hetfield solo or two on this one; his solo on Suicide & Redemption was a nice change from the typical wah stuff that Hammett has been churning out lately.

edit: I mean shit, every time I listen to the first Unforgiven I'm absolutely blown away by how perfect that solo is. It's truly a work of art.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, the Black Album should be the blueprint for any band wanting to stick to their strengths but still get breakthrough commercial success in the most tasteful way possible. 

This Atlas Rise track starts off pretty weak imo, instantly the metallica antennas start wavering and reading negative vibes. But I have to say this tune seems a huge, bulging, pulsating beast of a grower. Not sure why because nothing seems great about it, but I like it.

These are basically just shit versions of classic songs. They're still alright, but as each song comes out it just becomes more and more apparent that Metallica lost it when Jason Newsted left and are never going to produce anything really impressive again, despite getting our hopes up here and there. It's quite obvious that they're masters of writing this type of song, but we've heard so many iterations of the same thing that there's actually no point in listening to them anymore. Not just Metallica either, this seems to happen to every rock band in the end. Honestly, how can they be excited to go on tour after eight years of playing the same songs. What's the point in going to see Metallica play Battery in 2016? Who the fuck cares?

pf, atlas is easily the best of the bunch so far, which mind you isn't saying much but yeah... bite me. sole reason: nwobhm worshipping middle part. agree about hammett sounding completely lifeless on all 3. shame.

These are basically just shit versions of classic songs.

pretty much. guess this will be all the more apparent once they tour with this shit, playing it next to the classics... battery into hardwired anyone?! i mean you can say what you will about their sell-out stuff like load etc. but at least those bore some "genuineness" while this sounds so very constructed to be well... "metallica".

still willing to give the album some spins and even kinda hyped. personally i don't mind them going on at all, i don't even have any problem believing they're doing this for the fuck of it by now, it's not like they need a new album to go on tour and pay the rent right.

• 2 weeks later...

ok now...

dafuq is happening to me?? a few days ago i watched the live version of atlas and... *gulp*... this time i genuinely enjoyed it. not just the middle part, all of it o_O. then the next day i had dat silly ass refrain stuck in my head and actually felt like listening to it to gimme that atlassian fix. fuck! and now this spit out track... while i have to agree with psn especially regarding the first few thrash riffs are SO out of "thrash for dummies" book and cringey... that thing later when hetfield be like "/hoo, stop breeaathiing"... that really caught be off guard, emotionally... like... shit! T_T

will i join the beerwolf party after all? anyway now if you'll excuse me i'll be off looking for dat leak...

(oh yeah kinda funny: when i listened to spit i immediately knew that had to be the final track, not having the list in mind... that's just how formulaic they've become :) ... not neccessarily a prob to me tho, if it works...)

Got the leak today, listened to about 3/4 of it so far. I quite enjoyed Now That We're Dead, it has a bit of a Load/Reload feel in the vocal melodies. Dream No More is pretty good too. Halo on Fire perhaps meandered a bit with some parts that sound like they're just smashing random progressions together, but some of Justice was like that and I got used to it.

Second disc seems a bit impenetrable so far, but again it may just be a case of learning the songs..

Overall the mixing is great and Hetfield's voice is on point, at least more than in the last couple of albums. I can hear a bit of raspiness in his voice in parts again. The lyrics, on the other hand, are making me feel good about the shitty lyrics I'm writing for my new album, haha.

Now, this is some pretty fucked up shit - Metallica doing a tribute or parody ( you decide) of Mayhem... Including Dead huffing the stench of dead animals out of a bag before the show. WTF?!?

That's most certainly true. But disregarding that, i thought the video was pretty hilarious (in the actually awesome sense). The song's like an updated 2 X 4. But man, the drum arrangement is sooooo dumb. Could've been a decent track with a different drummer.

holy FUCK

Spit Out The Bone may possibly be the best thing they've written in the last 20 years? Definitely surprised me, I wasn't expecting to hear that much aggression from them again.

Now, this is some pretty fucked up shit - Metallica doing a tribute or parody ( you decide) of Mayhem... Including Dead huffing the stench of dead animals out of a bag before the show. WTF?!?

onesix world is so fucking bizarre man...

listened through the album once by now. can't say this track was a particular standout... more like a death magnetic b-side.

holy FUCK

Spit Out The Bone may possibly be the best thing they've written in the last 20 years? Definitely surprised me, I wasn't expecting to hear that much aggression from them again.

I was impressed with the intensity of Lars' drumming, and also James' voice - approaching the old versions of themselves that we know.

Archived