IGNORED

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Twelvetrees

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Spit Out The Bone, as with all the other newies a few spins and they get better and better.

Just seen the new video for SOTB, lol, that I'll give all the haters loads of ammo.

Now, this is some pretty fucked up shit - Metallica doing a tribute or parody ( you decide) of Mayhem... Including Dead huffing the stench of dead animals out of a bag before the show. WTF?!?

Totally off-topic but is that (very) young Metallion goofing around with the camera? Looks like him (source: pics from Slayer Mag Diaries book). And Lords Of Chaos movie...isn't Until The Light Takes Us basically it? Haven't seen it myself but I've been under the impression that it's somewhat equivalent to the book. But Metallica, Yay. Hellhammer surely must be flattered since his drumwork has been dubbed by none other than Lars.

It sounds pretty good in terms of quality. I couldn't notice any mp3 artifacts on my etymotic IEMs so I'm guessing it was a direct rip from somewhere?

It's also on Spotify already if you're that way inclined..

and yeah, I'm enjoying this album. The songs are pretty catchy! I'm really loving the parts that are a nod to Load/Reload era. I didn't think they'd be able to write anything like that again. I'm also noticing that unlike Death Magnetic, most of the tracks on this album don't sound like they're trying to remake their classic songs. There are some actual interesting chord progressions and riffs on some tracks, which is refreshing.

Also, now that I've listened a few times, it's understandable that they decided to split this up into two discs. It's perhaps too much to digest in one sitting, but taking it 6 tracks at a time is good and concise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZGXySaI0A

Hey Great Metallica Mates! This streamed live last night. Its pretty fantastic (imo). I think there's a few drum beats Lars misses, but if you can handle that (for a 50 year old bloke with a grey beard he's doing alright in my humble opinion).

Enjoy

Anyone got the vinyl? Sound quality? I heard the Death Magnetic records were so loud the needle bounced like a pogo stick.

As for the music, sounds pretty good to me, more variety and space than Death Magnetic. Short songs are nice too.

I may look into picking up the vinyl version, but tbh I haven't bought any records in over a year.. lol maybe I'll sell my copy death magnetic so I can buy the new one.

lol that mayhem video is fuckin cool! hell yeah!!

can't wait for the butthurt when that movie comes out

from the 3 songs i heard it's def much better then their last efforts, it's OK but i don't think i'll ever buy or even pirate the album from napster

• 2 weeks later...

Still enjoying this album. It has also got me listening to 90s Metallica again. I think my connection with Load/Reload stems from discovering them when I was 13/14.. The Memory Remains video was pretty much the first thing I paid attention to beyond the music my dad listened to. 

Plus, Hammett looked so fkn badass in the 90s

tumblr_nqnfe0vJv41u7xqpto1_500.jpg

I like how he still paints his nails too

I remember when Load first came out it was prominently on display at HMV, and some little kid walking passed with his mom exclaimed "hey mom, guess what's on that album cover!"  (PS the hint is in the title...)

Need to listen to that one again.

Also, I haven't commented since listening to Hardwired, but I think it's a really solid album.  Easily their best since Black Album.  James Hetfield is in top form, both as a songwriter and vocalist.  There are no weak songs here.  Nothing new, granted.  But it's like they listened through their own discography and cherry picked the best aspects from each era, then incorperateed those into new songs.  Notes of Battery, Blackened, Sanitarium, Thing That Should Not Be, Call of Cthulhu, 2X4, Until It Sleeps, Sad But True to name a few.  I swear they used some of those songs as models for these new ones... but they did a very good job of it.  Sonically it's right on the money.  It's a very well put together album.  Sounds like a lot of care went into every detail, both from the music and production end of things.  As for the album art... who the fuck knows what they were thinking, but I guess they had to find some way to make it ridiculous to fit in with the rest of their 21st century efforts.

Archived