As many of you know, we will (likely before years' end) be updating WATMM - not only the forum, but the site itself (yes, there's a site) so it is all integrated.

This was facilitated by the need to upgrade the forum software, and with the upgrade, it will allow the site proper and the forums to be as one, with content like news, discographies, articles, FAQs, image galleries and the like (like WATMM once had).

The forums alone will bring lots of changes (far too many to detail right now in this post), but what would you, the WATMM community, like to see? Think of this as a "can we fix" or "could we have" bug/feature request, so hopefully the most good and reasonable ideas can be researched and tested.

The beta site will be going up soon, and I thought now would be a good time to find out what (if any) expectations you guys and gals might have. General questions are welcome as well.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's too scared the neocons will tunnel into his brain when he's not looking. so we need a 'report neocon' button, we can all play a part.

A page that auto-populates all the submissions to YLC so you can simply hit the "play" button and listen to everyone's stuff without having to go from thread to thread--sortable by upload date, most popular, genre, etc.

A page that auto-populates the pictures posted in "pics you took that you're pleased with" so you can simply scroll through the photos and enjoy them instead of having to go through pages of a thread.

This concept could be applied to the funny pictures thread, most recent pic thread, memes thread (eww), etc., but the two I mentioned specifically are the ones I care about.

A page that auto-populates all the submissions to YLC so you can simply hit the "play" button and listen to everyone's stuff without having to go from thread to thread--sortable by upload date, most popular, genre, etc.

an easy way to do that would be to scrape the YLC threads for soundcloud links, and auto-post them to a watmm soundcloud page, which has an embed somewhere or other.

an easy way to do that would be to scrape the YLC threads for soundcloud links, and auto-post them to a watmm soundcloud page, which has an embed somewhere or other.

sounds good. And one of the major purposes of this forum would then be highlighted and easily accessible instead of needing to be dug through like a record crate

I want John Ehrlichman to return. His perspectives and knowhow on music are sorely missed.

Not a chance. He wears collared shirts now.

A page that auto-populates the pictures posted in "pics you took that you're pleased with" so you can simply scroll through the photos and enjoy them instead of having to go through pages of a thread.

This concept could be applied to the funny pictures thread, most recent pic thread, memes thread (eww), etc., but the two I mentioned specifically are the ones I care about.

So, sort of like how Tapatalk allows you to browse through all the images in a thread?

The YLC idea sounds interesting!

the thing you were working on with richard?

watmm radio

Ah, that... well, that's a HARD one - totally up to Richard, and I think at this point he's given up on that idea and went back to making music.

WATMM Radio - the new forum has to come first for WATMM Radio to become reality, so...

Oh yeah, or a 'weekly watmm mix' or sth like that. Would be awesome!

Go into further detail - would this be a special page with all the mixes, or what?

In another thread, somebody asked for a Discogs-like page for WATMMers to build and browse list of stuff they own (maybe it was you who put the idea first JR). That + a WATMM Radio / Automatic play of YLC songs would be two killer features imho.

Also, I would like to see flepbird be the homepage

lol

When I visit flepbird now it takes me to malware shit btw

So, sort of like how Tapatalk allows you to browse through all the images in a thread?

watmm radio

Ah, that... well, that's a HARD one - totally up to Richard, and I think at this point he's given up on that idea and went back to making music.

WATMM Radio - the new forum has to come first for WATMM Radio to become reality, so...

Go into further detail - would this be a special page with all the mixes, or what?

I've not used tapatalk, so I'm not sure, but you could compare it displaying them something like pinterest. I just like seeing the art people create here, and i think the forum format sort of hides the music, the photos/art, and even the mixes so any way to create some sort of auto-populating UI that is convenient to use I think would foster more of the creative sides of the community and put it on display which I think is one of the most positive things that exist here.

In regard to the watmm radio/mixes -- in the meantime you could at least also populate high profile and user created mixes as well. Quality mixes like PSA, Solid Steel Radio show, etc. alongside mixes created by forum users or interesting things like the 24hr Aphex mix could really use being featured here.

It helps make this place be not only be a larger beacon for electronic music, but also encourage creativity and involvement.

Edit: my brother and I were messing around with a site where you could post links to music that you enjoyed and it would sort them into a pinterest style grid format. I thought it was really interesting and friendlier than most formats for browsing. I was going to link the site, but he has since taken it down.

If you want to get really serious you could create a craigslist style database for people to post local shows. Another way to improve the "live shows & tours" section by enabling an intuitive sorting feature. It might encourage more people to post their shows as well.

I want John Ehrlichman to return. His perspectives and knowhow on music are sorely missed.

he once said that bladelores is shit. john, better stay home!

In another thread, somebody asked for a Discogs-like page for WATMMers to build and browse list of stuff they own (maybe it was you who put the idea first JR). That + a WATMM Radio / Automatic play of YLC songs would be two killer features imho.

Yeah... I'm looking into something like that.

lol

watmm radio

I've not used tapatalk, so I'm not sure, but you could compare it displaying them something like pinterest. I just like seeing the art people create here, and i think the forum format sort of hides the music, the photos/art, and even the mixes so any way to create some sort of auto-populating UI that is convenient to use I think would foster more of the creative sides of the community and put it on display which I think is one of the most positive things that exist here.

In regard to the watmm radio/mixes -- in the meantime you could at least also populate high profile and user created mixes as well. Quality mixes like PSA, Solid Steel Radio show, etc. alongside mixes created by forum users or interesting things like the 24hr Aphex mix could really use being featured here.

It helps make this place be not only be a larger beacon for electronic music, but also encourage creativity and involvement.

Edit: my brother and I were messing around with a site where you could post links to music that you enjoyed and it would sort them into a pinterest style grid format. I thought it was really interesting and friendlier than most formats for browsing. I was going to link the site, but he has since taken it down.

If you want to get really serious you could create a craigslist style database for people to post local shows. Another way to improve the "live shows & tours" section by enabling an intuitive sorting feature. It might encourage more people to post their shows as well.

OK, that gives me a better idea of what you're going for - would dedicated Galleries be something of interest?

As for local shows, I am in 100% agreement with you on that - I think bringing back the Calendar to post those shows (especially if there is an "upcoming shows" feature where it can be sorted by geography or by artists, or any combination of factors) will help in that.

One of the things we are going for is community involvement - people will be able to submit news stories, articles, downloads, etc., so hopefully that will curate a stronger sense of community where everyone is as involved (or as little) as they want.

And please, stop with the JE stuff - nobody cares, and JE can come back when he wants to - he obviously doesn't.

Yeah... I'm looking into something like that.

lol

watmm radio

OK, that gives me a better idea of what you're going for - would dedicated Galleries be something of interest?

As for local shows, I am in 100% agreement with you on that - I think bringing back the Calendar to post those shows (especially if there is an "upcoming shows" feature where it can be sorted by geography or by artists, or any combination of factors) will help in that.

One of the things we are going for is community involvement - people will be able to submit news stories, articles, downloads, etc., so hopefully that will curate a stronger sense of community where everyone is as involved (or as little) as they want.

And please, stop with the JE stuff - nobody cares, and JE can come back when he wants to - he obviously doesn't.

Here's a little mock-up to give you a sense of what I mean. the back-end of it is really something I'm not familiar with nor what kind of design you guys are looking at but having a dedicated area where there are intuitive displays of the things created is beneficial. I don't know if you would have it so the thread is link to it so you can go directly to where is posted to make comments or there would need to be a new way of submitting ylc/photos/mixes, but this is it in a general sense.

lw9AyUR.jpg

CNZ8om1.jpg

we have tshirts last i remember... the wattm logo or something

i dont think there should be any competition with discogs. there is no reason to. what watmm could do a great job at is aggregating live releases (aka a better downloads section), rare images and interviews. The peripheral elements of an artists work that *wouldn't* appear on a discogs main page. (yes i know some of that stuff is secreted away on discogs vaults but f that)

but please please please as simple as possible. we don't need anything like "WELCOME TO LUKE VIBERT'S PAGE. VIBERT IS KNOWN FOR CRAZY, SQUELCHY ACID LINES  AND CLASSIC TRIP HOP BEATS"

The forum equivalent of symlinks - Like you could create a new Aphex Twin release topic and put the same thread in both the New Releases *and* the Aphex Twin sub-forums. The same topic but in two (or more) places and they both point to the same topic id

The forum equivalent of symlinks - Like you could create a new Aphex Twin release topic and put the same thread in both the New Releases *and* the Aphex Twin sub-forums. The same topic but in two (or more) places and they both point to the same topic id

that's good for reducing clutter but still requires the user to link to both forums i'm assuming?

Yeah in the New Topic button, you'd maybe like highlight which sub-forums you'd want the post to go in. The danger of course being some crazy person spamming their latest release by highlighting every bloody subforum !

Archived