The new forum software does exactly that - you can quote an entire post, or simply highlight the bits you want, and it will give you the option to quote the part you highlighted.

Yeah the quoting system in the new IPB is definitely a step up from the current one - Actually the whole WYSIWYG posting system is pretty ace, looking forward to seeing it on here!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

somewhere to talk about EPs and singles

standard 1st post templates for releases

better search functionality for finding archived releases related to:artist, release, date, label, genre etc.

the ability to go back and link discog pages to posts about releases, or update the original data in 1st post.

5 star rating system for what Watmm thinks of a specific release?

Custom emoticon submission for every 1 year/1000 posts/other criteria?

Yeah in the New Topic button, you'd maybe like highlight which sub-forums you'd want the post to go in. The danger of course being some crazy person spamming their latest release by highlighting every bloody subforum !

Just tag the thread with Aphex twin and it could pop up in both places?

This may be a feature already and I just don't know about it, but the choice to ignore a thread for good (won't see it in thread listings). Some button where you can just forever rid yourself of scrolling past a thread you'll never visit.

Watmm radio is a cool idea as long as someone (or a few) can commit to running it. Otherwise it could just die out after the initial excitement

Could round-up some of the other more notable internet radio broadcasts and archives of those broadcasts and play them as well. Would need to get permission obviously but I don't think that would be too difficult. 

Well, joyrex, if enough time goes by, like two years, then you should tell us what the plans were!

The new forum software does exactly that - you can quote an entire post, or simply highlight the bits you want, and it will give you the option to quote the part you highlighted.

Do you mean just copy+pasting it into the quote thing (like I just did) or something else?

Watmm radio is a cool idea as long as someone (or a few) can commit to running it. Otherwise it could just die out after the initial excitement

Could round-up some of the other more notable internet radio broadcasts and archives of those broadcasts and play them as well. Would need to get permission obviously but I don't think that would be too difficult.

If you tag your creations with #watmm_radio it could be added to a rolling playlist.

Also chatmm compilations on there

somewhere to talk about EPs and singles

standard 1st post templates for releases

better search functionality for finding archived releases related to:artist, release, date, label, genre etc.

the ability to go back and link discog pages to posts about releases, or update the original data in 1st post.

EPs and Singles - I don't see why they wouldn't go in New Releases - perhaps with a tag or topic prefix?

Agreed on the 1st post template - I think there was an addon to do this... I'll look into it.

Sadly, the search even on the new forum isn't much better than what we have (although we do have a Google Search as an option right now), but there is a lot more you can do with the new forum/site software that might make a custom search possible.

I like the idea of a Discogs link being standard for releases - the only issue might be is when something is NOT on Discogs (does that ever happen)?

afaik there's 5 star rating on New Releases subforum threads, I'm on mobile now and cant check it

The mobile skin will go away - the new forum/site is responsive, meaning the forum will reformat depending on your device/screen size. Things like that should be consistent across platforms.

Chat takes very long to load on my ipad, and I'd like watmm radio soon.

As mentioned, this is an issue with the currently hosted chat, and should go away with the new forum software, and we may implement a 3rd party chat instead if the integration is there.

Totally agree - we will need people to keep the programming fresh, with a mixture of live stuff and pre-recorded material.

This may be a feature already and I just don't know about it, but the choice to ignore a thread for good (won't see it in thread listings). Some button where you can just forever rid yourself of scrolling past a thread you'll never visit.

There is an Ignore Topics addon for the new forum software...

Hmmm... not a bad idea, but I'd rather curate our own content first and foremost if at all possible.

WATMMPoints: Our own virtual currency so we can exchange them for digital goodies from our favorite artists such as Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc.

Only issue with this I see is how to pay for the digital goodies...

Well, joyrex, if enough time goes by, like two years, then you should tell us what the plans were!

Do you mean just copy+pasting it into the quote thing (like I just did) or something else?

LOL, it's already been a year (I think) since I started hinting at a collaboration...

RE; Quoting - you highlight text in a post, and a small tooltip pops up giving you a "quote this" link that auto-populates the Quick Reply box...

If you tag your creations with #watmm_radio it could be added to a rolling playlist.

Also chatmm compilations on there

I like the idea of tagging integration, although there should be some gatekeeper or queue to approve submissions (just to avoid people spamming their stuff). Since WATMM Radio will be a home-grown app, this should be possible.

100% agree on the CHATMM Compilations being in there. I can't wait to start having "create a bumper" contests!

The forums alone will bring lots of changes (far too many to detail right now in this post), but what would you, the WATMM community, like to see? Think of this as a "can we fix" or "could we have" bug/feature request, so hopefully the most good and reasonable ideas can be researched and tested.

Would you consider switching to a tree-like thread layout (like reddit), as opposed to the current linear layout? I'm thinking that message indentation helps a lot with readability, you don't have to quote much text, et cetera.

pls no

to not have to pay to use.

maybe one nominal fee, none of that recurring payment bs

That's not going to change, ever - I paid out of my pocket to run the site for 10 years, there is no reason I should foot the bill for others to use a service provided to them. As discussed upthread, I am open to a one-time "Lifetime" subscription, but would have to weigh the costs, as well as what having such an option would do to long-term revenue so the site could still maintain itself financially.

Being a white capitalist that happens to be impotent, you of all people should appreciate that :dadjoke:

Archived