dank / shitposting subforum pls. you can make it so it doesn't contribute to post count and it can still be moderated as to not have it turn into XLT, but i just can't imagine this crowd flying that badly off the handle. we're pretty good eggs. it'd just be rad to have this purely creative weird space for dumb jokes and experiments. sort of like a sandbox. 

Despite you thinking this is a good idea on the surface, by "encouraging" this kind of behaviour, people will lean more towards doing so, and possibly fracture the community into people that want to do this versus those who don't.

The reason I think WATMM is "working" at long last is because we as a community finally have a balance of knowing what is and isn't acceptable, and for the most part we keep within those boundaries. By having a place to do this, people are more prone to posting nonsense, and it will inevitably spill out into the forums proper. It's the same argument against having an "adults only" section.

There's other sites for this kind of nonsense; let's keep WATMM primarily about the music and electronic music culture, and leave the other sites to handle that stuff.

One part of me would love somewhere to spout a load of old drunken gobbledygook and not get judged to harshly, 'cause on the weekend I like to have a few glasses of ultra strong grape juice and just type nonsense, I dunno why, I find it hilarious at the time, just because it's really stupid and you know I don't take myself that seriously. I just send my mates texts about all kinds of imaginary rubbish. You know like last week were discussing the best fishing tactics and baits to snare and hook deep sea dwelling lesser-spotted krakens, then we were talking about if we started up our own religious cults what would be our tactics and what beasts we would worship or slaughter and what ritual sex acts would take place......anyway. It's just drunken chat. Mainly about tactics.

Sometimes if I do make the drunkard odd post I wake up in the morning having a bloody panic attack 'cause I'm thinking it wasn't the right time or place (Autechre forum is a definite no-no lol). I can understand why Joyrex wouldn't want it 'cause it would end up in some bizarre territory but maybe we could just have a weekend window and then the whole thing could be wiped come monday morning. Maybe I should just stick to texting my mates.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to quite like the arcade but it disappeared soon after I joined here.

I guess the main plus point was the leaderboards and getting competitive with other watmmers.

It would be good to have a definitive list of tour dates / featured club nights - especially for featured artists and maybe a few other key people. This info sometimes gets lost between subforums and the live forum....

i just dont want to be beaten daily any more joyrex :(

OK, we can switch it up to whipping then...

dank / shitposting subforum pls. you can make it so it doesn't contribute to post count and it can still be moderated as to not have it turn into XLT, but i just can't imagine this crowd flying that badly off the handle. we're pretty good eggs. it'd just be rad to have this purely creative weird space for dumb jokes and experiments. sort of like a sandbox. 

Despite you thinking this is a good idea on the surface, by "encouraging" this kind of behaviour, people will lean more towards doing so, and possibly fracture the community into people that want to do this versus those who don't.

The reason I think WATMM is "working" at long last is because we as a community finally have a balance of knowing what is and isn't acceptable, and for the most part we keep within those boundaries. By having a place to do this, people are more prone to posting nonsense, and it will inevitably spill out into the forums proper. It's the same argument against having an "adults only" section.

There's other sites for this kind of nonsense; let's keep WATMM primarily about the music and electronic music culture, and leave the other sites to handle that stuff.

One part of me would love somewhere to spout a load of old drunken gobbledygook and not get judged to harshly, 'cause on the weekend I like to have a few glasses of ultra strong grape juice and just type nonsense, I dunno why, I find it hilarious at the time, just because it's really stupid and you know I don't take myself that seriously. I just send my mates texts about all kinds of imaginary rubbish. You know like last week were discussing the best fishing tactics and baits to snare and hook deep sea dwelling lesser-spotted krakens, then we were talking about if we started up our own religious cults what would be our tactics and what beasts we would worship or slaughter and what ritual sex acts would take place......anyway. It's just drunken chat. Mainly about tactics.

Sometimes if I do make the drunkard odd post I wake up in the morning having a bloody panic attack 'cause I'm thinking it wasn't the right time or place (Autechre forum is a definite no-no lol). I can understand why Joyrex wouldn't want it 'cause it would end up in some bizarre territory but maybe we could just have a weekend window and then the whole thing could be wiped come monday morning. Maybe I should just stick to texting my mates.

I hear what you're saying, and it does make a bit of sense - I kinda like the idea of an "ephemeral" forum where posts don't count, and is wiped by a cron job each week or something...

When people reach the site they hear gene wilder speak the lines "we are the music makers..."

Forever immortalized RIP

Funny you mention this...

I used to quite like the arcade but it disappeared soon after I joined here.

I guess the main plus point was the leaderboards and getting competitive with other watmmers.

It would be good to have a definitive list of tour dates / featured club nights - especially for featured artists and maybe a few other key people. This info sometimes gets lost between subforums and the live forum....

Yeah, the arcade was fun - perhaps, one of WATMM's talented PHP coders can figure out a way to get a javascript emulator integrated as an addon, we could bring it back. That's a lot of work though for a really minor (but fun) thing.

The calendar will come back with this in mind - I think having someone curate the calendar and make sure live dates and tours are regularly added (as well as user-contributed info) would make this a valuable resource here.

• 2 weeks later...

A calender that brings everything together would be good, live dates, local shows, releases and ekt releases. It'd be good if they were geo tagged somehow so you could see what was happening in your area. User profiles would be good if they pulled in your dates too, plus latest posts, shows you went to, SoundCloud posts, friend connections etc. I think if its to be a tiered payed for service it needs to serve some other useful function other than forum posting, it'd need to be more around releasing stuff and playing live.

A calender that brings everything together would be good, live dates, local shows, releases and ekt releases. It'd be good if they were geo tagged somehow so you could see what was happening in your area. User profiles would be good if they pulled in your dates too, plus latest posts, shows you went to, SoundCloud posts, friend connections etc. I think if its to be a tiered payed for service it needs to serve some other useful function other than forum posting, it'd need to be more around releasing stuff and playing live.

The Calendar will be back, and there are addons for geo tagging; I am still thinking that through to balance out privacy, etc.

We can see about what can be added to user profiles - those are all good ideas.

What do you mean by "I think if its to be a tiered payed for service it needs to serve some other useful function other than forum posting, it'd need to be more around releasing stuff and playing live." - can you elaborate a bit?

Maybe even push notifications when you get a message too? I usually miss them because I don't check in as often as I used to.

The new forum has exactly that - you have to enable them in your browser, but I think what you're talking about is getting an email when you get a PM?

If you mean push notifications like on mobile, I'll have to look to see if the forum does that when viewed on a mobile device or not.

I would love to have a radio show. I could probably only commit to something fortnightly or monthly though.

It would be a live DJ mix with MCing.

Hopefully we won't need to worry about filling up programming spots :dadjoke:

The Calendar will be back, and there are addons for geo tagging; I am still thinking that through to balance out privacy, etc.

What do you mean by "I think if its to be a tiered payed for service it needs to serve some other useful function other than forum posting, it'd need to be more around releasing stuff and playing live." - can you elaborate a bit?

Maybe even push notifications when you get a message too? I usually miss them because I don't check in as often as I used to.

The new forum has exactly that - you have to enable them in your browser, but I think what you're talking about is getting an email when you get a PM?

If you mean push notifications like on mobile, I'll have to look to see if the forum does that when viewed on a mobile device or not.

I would love to have a radio show. I could probably only commit to something fortnightly or monthly though.

Yes sorry, I meant a mobile notification rather than an email - like the sort you get with the Twitter/Facebook apps.

I guess with the tiered thing I'm thinking along the lines of Soundcloud etc, where you get basic functionality for free, but if you want extra stuff - like integrating your music or gig dates - you'd pay a subscription.

Generally what I was thinking of is a place that basically aggregates all my music/promo stuff, so I can send that out to people rather than 10 different links to Bandcamp, Souncloud, Facebook events etc etc, I could just go 'check out my watmm' and it'd have everything there. It'd be more of a place for producers to connect with each other and to labels, venues, promoters etc. If you could just do that for me it'd be sweet :)

Yes sorry, I meant a mobile notification rather than an email - like the sort you get with the Twitter/Facebook apps.

I guess with the tiered thing I'm thinking along the lines of Soundcloud etc, where you get basic functionality for free, but if you want extra stuff - like integrating your music or gig dates - you'd pay a subscription.

Generally what I was thinking of is a place that basically aggregates all my music/promo stuff, so I can send that out to people rather than 10 different links to Bandcamp, Souncloud, Facebook events etc etc, I could just go 'check out my watmm' and it'd have everything there. It'd be more of a place for producers to connect with each other and to labels, venues, promoters etc. If you could just do that for me it'd be sweet :)

That is a brilliant idea - a one-stop page for an artist's output, aggregating all the various places they sell and promote their music.

RE; tiered - I've toyed with this idea before implementing the pay-only system, and a lot of it was born from my personal frustration with other services that limit you - I think having a limit on posts per day or something might frustrate more than entice people to support the site, and may encourage folks to lessen their WATMM experience just to save a buck, rather than support a service they obviously get something out of. Likewise with the idea of hiding the content until you sign up; I think that would drive away more people as well.

can you wipe out all posts and reset the board when you upgrade? i don't want a record of what i've done here, i am ashamed

:cisfor:

can you wipe out all posts and reset the board when you upgrade? i don't want a record of what i've done here, i am ashamed

all your bad decisions have already been logged in the internet. it will be there for eternity.

a notification when your username is mentioned or when someones quotes your post would be nice.

The new system does exactly that.

a notification when your username is mentioned or when someones quotes your post would be nice.

Or would @eugene work?

That's exactly how it works!

It would certainly make the upgrade easier, LOL

But no, there is too much valuable info here that we've compiled over the decades. A lot of shit too, granted but still...

• 2 weeks later...

I know this one is gonna be a hard sell for ya joydad but wouldn't it be cool if creators of threads could have an "anonymous posting on/off" switch? People should have the right to contribute anonymously if they so please, but only thread creators can choose when it is or isn't allowed, for example, if someone is creating a thread where they fear they might get flamed, they can set it so its regular posting only. If someone wants to do a thread like "most embarrassing idm goofs of 2016", people can choose to share without having to disclose their identity. Regular watmm rules should still apply to anynomous posts and users can be moderated at for them just the same. In the perfect world mods wouldn't be able to tell the identities unless they had to take action, but if they are thats understandable.

I know this one is gonna be a hard sell for ya joydad but wouldn't it be cool if creators of threads could have an "anonymous posting on/off" switch?

Nah, that wouldn't work - Would be full of people just posting 'Prick' 'Twat' 'Ice water with ice'

Archived