you'd have to generate a hash for every image in every post (easy enough to do, as long as you can do a pre-post filter in the forum software), and store that hash in the posts table in the db (assuming you can add custom columns there), then you'd just need to hash the requested search image and do a simple query on that hash in the posts table. there's no doubt a bunch of image fingerprinting code online you could reuse to generate the hashes (as opposed to using something simple like a CRC or MD5, which wouldn't work with the same image in gif vs jpg for example).

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'd have to generate a hash for every image in every post (easy enough to do, as long as you can do a pre-post filter in the forum software), and store that hash in the posts table in the db (assuming you can add custom columns there), then you'd just need to hash the requested search image and do a simple query on that hash in the posts table. there's no doubt a bunch of image fingerprinting code online you could reuse to generate the hashes (as opposed to using something simple like a CRC or MD5, which wouldn't work with the same image in gif vs jpg for example).

The cleaner way would be to write a hook/plugin that could be added (and you could sell it via the forum maker's Marketplace)

is it possible to make it less obvious when a post has been edited? 90% of the time i'm just going back to fix a typo and don't want to be publicly shamed for being a dingus  :cry:

it could even just be a little red dot that appears in the top right corner.

I feel the same way but we should embrace our dingusnicity. Fuck this cult of perfect, many awesome things were born out of mistakes.

And at least you bothered to come back to something you felt wasn't right.

is it possible to make it less obvious when a post has been edited? 90% of the time i'm just going back to fix a typo and don't want to be publicly shamed for being a dingus  :cry:

Not quite sure what you mean...

is it possible to make it less obvious when a post has been edited? 90% of the time i'm just going back to fix a typo and don't want to be publicly shamed for being a dingus :cry:

Me neever

Neaver?

at the moment whenever you edit a post you get a big fat "THIS USER EDITED THIS POST CAUSE HE CAN'T SPELL FOR SHIT" message

at the moment whenever you edit a post you get a big fat "THIS USER EDITED THIS POST CAUSE HE CAN'T SPELL FOR SHIT" message

yup, this

One solution you could consider is to have a 5-10 minute window where posts can be edited for typos etc. without leaving a trace, but still flag posts as edited when users go back and change their posts later (sometimes much later for the user classes without time restrictions), i.e., the kind of scenario where the changes might be significant.

is it possible to make it less obvious when a post has been edited? 90% of the time i'm just going back to fix a typo and don't want to be publicly shamed for being a dingus :cry:

yup, this

One solution you could consider is to have a 5-10 minute window where posts can be edited for typos etc. without leaving a trace, but still flag posts as edited when users go back and change their posts later (sometimes much later for the user classes without time restrictions), i.e., the kind of scenario where the changes might be significant.

There are also several forums where you can leave a small text to explain why you had to edit your post and it's displayed right after the "edited post" thing.

Okay, idiot question. How do you post YouTube vids?

Because I thought the feature was listed under the Special BBCode drop down, but I'm not seeing it anymore. Used to be able to...

Okay, idiot question. How do you post YouTube vids?

Because I thought the feature was listed under the Special BBCode drop down, but I'm not seeing it anymore. Used to be able to...

It used to work that way, now all you have to do is paste the URL in full.

Oh this might be a good place to bring it up: anyone here use Discord? It's a popular chat app for lots of gamers and stuff, I'm unsure how the servers and mod situation works but maybe an official CHATMM server on there could be good? I haven't actually tried the Tapatalk version of CHATMM so maybe it's great, but I sorta doubt it. Yes I'm pessimistic.

Oh this might be a good place to bring it up: anyone here use Discord? It's a popular chat app for lots of gamers and stuff, I'm unsure how the servers and mod situation works but maybe an official CHATMM server on there could be good? I haven't actually tried the Tapatalk version of CHATMM so maybe it's great, but I sorta doubt it. Yes I'm pessimistic.

There are other IPS forum owners calling for a Discord app for IPS, but so far nobody's biting. However...

slackmm...

Not quite...

hi, been a few weeks or more. are we on the new board software yet ? i noticed that i can't see drop down menus or spoiler tags anymore. Is this a common issue or just little ole me ? I thought i might need to change the theme but that just threw me back up to the top of the page.

Archived