IGNORED

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

modey

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fucking hell. Listening now; the mixing is a bit strange but this sounds like it's possibly the heaviest thing they've ever recorded..

That wail on the end of the solo at 2:48 of Monstrocity is fkn amazing lol

edit: alright, the mixing was just weird on the first track, either that or I'm getting used to it..

Yeah I just thought the drums were too loud in the first track.. especially that "chorus" where there is an actual chord progression going on underneath.

Overall it is a total unrelenting monster though. Gonna have to give it a few more listens before it stops being just a blur of angular riffs but it's very solid!

I found the riffs and grooves to be a bit more easily comprehensible this time around... but I was also going through their discography in the weeks leading up to the release, so my brain may have just acclimatized.

yeah it takes a little while for things to sink in for me.. probably because I do most of my music listening at work where I tend to be concentrating on other things.. that said, there were some moments of such beauty on this album where I just had to stop and admire the crushing riffs.. haha

I do sometimes wish that Jens had more melody to his vocals like in the first few albums (even a few tracks on Destroy Erase Improve had some melody in the vocals).. but there's a certain postmodern quality to them these days haha.

Yeah, he's got a pretty wicked harsh Hetfield thing going on when he chooses to sing... way back when.  I wonder why they never incorporate that now.  Seems like such an obvious thing that could add so much depth to their music.  

Have to admit I lolled at the Monstrocity track. Cheesy af when the 'chorus' kicks in. It's like a nu-metal track gone dissonant/djent.

I love it :D

I love how there are some nice long instrumental sections without a high register solo, but instead feels like the guitar riffs are the solo and rhythm at the same time

do you guys like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUBShPhuLA

?

any recommendation in this genre?

Hmm, there's plenty I think, but I'm not sure how easily I can recommend because my tastes are a bit more broad, so I tend to lean more towards bands who incorporate melody/clean vocals as well.. I don't listen to a lot of the more straightforward screamy stuff really (except for bands like Meshuggah but they're hardly straightforward!).

I could recommend bands like Scar Symmetry but despite sometimes having similar energy/pace, most of their songs get kinda proggy/power metal haha.

Have to admit I lolled at the Monstrocity track. Cheesy af when the 'chorus' kicks in. It's like a nu-metal track gone dissonant/djent.

I love it :D

I love how there are some nice long instrumental sections without a high register solo, but instead feels like the guitar riffs are the solo and rhythm at the same time

Haha yeah def. I use 'chorus' because despite sounding like one, structure of track is still cray af

I used to love love love meshuggah but now I just cant get past the vocals for some reason

yeah I would listen the fuck out of this and go to their concerts and shit but the nu-metallness of the voice triggers me too hard.. and when I listen to this, I make suuuure nobody else hears it.....

Huh, I don't really hear any nu-metal connection in the vocals. Maybe a bit in the pace of the music, but the riffs are way more dissonant than anything even Korn could come up with.

yeah dunno, not Korn, more Slipknot, Mudvayne stuff like that.. granted I haven't heard any of that for a long while so my memory might be playing games.. but there is something unironically pubescent-aggressive and one-dimensional in the vocals which I simply can't get over.. At the same time I can't deny that the screaming works well as a counterpoint to the musical proceedings, but still I really, really wish they would release all their jazz as instrumental versions in parallel.

I would love for them to do an instrumental album, Not because I hate the vocals  (but get why people have an issue with them) but more because I think it would drive them to make even more out there music and bring out our their jazz tendency's for some full on free-form metal madness, 

Archived