IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Placebo - Black Market Music ("dope guns fuckin in tha streets..." ugh)

Tool - Lateralus (sorry, I really wanted to like it, and Schism is good, but i really REALLY loved Tool before this - actually i think Maynard said it best when he said that making a song with fibonacci beats was kind of sophomoric considering that the golden ration is in everything already anyway)

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (maybe because of the lack of Reznor - not dirty and crazy sounding any more, just Marilyn's boring ego)

NIN - With Teeth (another one I tried to like, but sorry, NO.)

RHCP - Californication (a creeping disapointment, that started as bemusement, then later I realised OHM was kind of boring. BSSM I still like sometimes, maybe just because of Frusciante)

Melvins - A Senile Animal (but then started to like it, and then not again.. so who knows, Melvins from here on is a little bit of a mystery to me)

Autechre - Draft (sorry pls don't hurt me, I loved Confield so much, partly because it wasn't like this)

Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls (what happened Tori?? :cry: I just didn't feel any passion from her from this point on) 

Polyphonic Spree - Tripping Daisy were a wicked, totally unique band, and then this?

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett (sp? I'm obsessed with snares, and this, Meathole and a couple others are the only ones I don't like as much, but I found something so predictable and accessible and unimaginative about this, which he almost never is)

Ceephax - United Acid Emirates (for one thing, it has a more polished, less emotional version of Emotinium on it)

Deftones - White Pony (not as heavy or amazing any more)

Having said all that, I still love everything good all those people have made and listen to it all the time, so I guess I'm not that disappointed - I used to be, when I had more faith in musicians I loved

Tool - Lateralus (sorry, I really wanted to like it, and Schism is good, but i really REALLY loved Tool before this - actually i think Maynard said it best when he said that making a song with fibonacci beats was kind of sophomoric considering that the golden ration is in everything already anyway)

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (maybe because of the lack of Reznor - not dirty and crazy sounding any more, just Marilyn's boring ego)

RHCP - Californication (a creeping disapointment, that started as bemusement, then later I realised OHM was kind of boring. BSSM I still like sometimes, maybe just because of Frusciante)

Melvins - A Senile Animal (but then started to like it, and then not again.. so who knows, Melvins from here on is a little bit of a mystery to me)

Autechre - Draft (sorry pls don't hurt me, I loved Confield so much, partly because it wasn't like this)

Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls (what happened Tori?? :cry: I just didn't feel any passion from her from this point on) 

Polyphonic Spree - Tripping Daisy were a wicked, totally unique band, and then this?

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett (sp? I'm obsessed with snares, and this, Meathole and a couple others are the only ones I don't like as much, but I found something so predictable and accessible and unimaginative about this, which he almost never is)

Ceephax - United Acid Emirates (for one thing, it has a more polished, less emotional version of Emotinium on it)

Having said all that, I still love everything good all those people have made and listen to it all the time, so I guess I'm not that disappointed - I used to be, when I had more faith in musicians I loved

Can you please list all the albums you think are massive disappointments in your entire life? Because I think I'd like to check them out. Cheers hoggy :ok:

Can you please list all the albums you think are massive disappointments in your entire life? Because I think I'd like to check them out. Cheers hoggy :ok:

Which part highlighted in bold is the sarcastic one?

And I actually LIKE a lot of vaporwave, at least the stuff up through maybe 2013. This sounds like a cash in on the stuff that was cashing in on Vaporwave two years ago.

post-blank banshee stuff - yeah that EDM chill oriented synthpop trap stuff is a dime a dozen lately - same tumblr graphics and digital pink / blue shading artwork seems to go hand in hand with it

i wouldn't call it vaporwave but I'm sure most kids who eat up this stuff would call it that or don't care what it's called

/i'm-getting-too-old-for-this-shit rant

That's my biggest problem with most vaporwave - the people making it usually aren't old enough to have genuinely appreciated the stuff they're emulating!

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

I was well disappointed when they sacked Terry Glaze and stopped making records like this

and started to make records like this with that urchin Phil Anselmo

what were they thinking?

And I actually LIKE a lot of vaporwave, at least the stuff up through maybe 2013. This sounds like a cash in on the stuff that was cashing in on Vaporwave two years ago.

post-blank banshee stuff - yeah that EDM chill oriented synthpop trap stuff is a dime a dozen lately - same tumblr graphics and digital pink / blue shading artwork seems to go hand in hand with it

i wouldn't call it vaporwave but I'm sure most kids who eat up this stuff would call it that or don't care what it's called

/i'm-getting-too-old-for-this-shit rant

That's my biggest problem with most vaporwave - the people making it usually aren't old enough to have genuinely appreciated the stuff they're emulating!

Some are, NMESH and Oscob have flat out mentioned being influenced by Orb, Orbital, and FSOL (NMesh is a huge FSOL fan and overall seems very knowledgeable of other electronic music).

Beyond those guys and other older vaporwave producers/fans it seems many are inadvertently stumbling into styles and aesthetics already done to death in the past - d'n'b, glitch, ambient, IDM, etc. but they are often the same ones who liked vaporwave out of it's foreign newness...i.e. they are too young to have been around from the era. Whereas I like vaporwave because it's almost like the BoC equivalent of my childhood for a lot of fans it's just appealing as a novelty, and since it's internet born and bred there's often a lot of flack for any sense of canon, context or genre definition...that irks me the most. I see serious comments like "vaporwave is whatever you want it to be" all the time. They aren't all like, many appreciate the older stuff that inspires vaporwave more than the bullshit memes and recycled tropes they don't even get the origin of, that but the ignorant are the loudest it seems on reddit and in comment sections.

:cerious: bruh...

Korn -See you on the other side when i like 17-18 is the first thing coming clearly to mind in that area.

One of the most insincere album ive ever listened to.

To the point of being unlistenable.

I loved Untouchables and though Take a look in the mirror was alright and then this thing came out!

And copy controlled on top of it!

• Clark got worse and worth with recent releases (the more berghain influenced he got the worse it got)
  • Venetian Snares got pretty non relevant until his latest release which was better but nowhere up to his old masterpieces 

Clark lost it with Iradelphic for me, hyped up as some lush acoustic epic I found it quite piecemeal, with the best tracks being old-style Clark. His latest one had some good tunes as well but was still a step below.

I got fatigued with Snares around '08 and stopped checking out new stuff, when I finally did I discovered he hadn't really done anything worth missing bar a handful of tracks. Haven't spent enough time to judge though frankly. 

Usually with experimental music I enjoy being wrong-footed, when an artist decides to drop what makes them interesting and picks up new tools I will always pay attention and try and understand where they are coming from. If their music has lurched towards some current trend, then I am more skeptical but still open-minded. I cannot however forgive nor understand DJ Shadow's The Outsider.

Everything Ministry ever did after Paul Barker left.  They were already going down but this was just off a cliff.

Everything PJ Harvey did after Is This Desire? *EXCEPT FOR* the first two-thirds of White Chalk, which for some reason is back on form.

Everything Shihad ever did after Killjoy.

Tri-rep, Draft, Quaristice and Exai are all wobbles in my book, but only cos the others set the standard so high.  Every second album they tend to come back up, if they really work.  I think you can tell when they are unfocussed/distracted.

Alva Noto: after Unitxt, Univrs really was a pile of piss.

Archived