IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I was pretty late getting into Shabazz Palaces, I think it's been a little less than 3 years since I decided to check out their albums. The debut Black Up is the unanimous stand-out, but I've enjoyed the next 3 as well. Their latest The Don of Diamond Dreams, on the other hand, is ruined by autotune on several tracks and after attempting to enjoy it a couple of times I'm calling it a massive disappointment. 

I probably tried to convince you in the thread, but imo the Don is an excellent album. 'tune or not, good music is good music and this one is even more fresh and singular stuff (they still sound like nobody else making music)

whoever says that tom died before this doesn't have a heart, but yeah ufabulum and damogen furies are too videogamey, lots of songs sound like dubstep... as someone said before yeah it hurts my ears, sounds like everything's going trough the same fuzzbox or something... it's too abrasive... not gonna say it's bad, it's just a different direction which i don't really enjoy...

so you are saying that these tracks you posted don't fall into the disappointment category? absolutely agree. ufabulum is unlistenable. the fact he is wearing LED lights as a mask doesn't make the music any better

it's just too annoying

4 minutes ago, dingformung said:

so you are saying that these tracks you posted don't fall into the disappointment category? absolutely agree. ufabulum is unlistenable. the fact he is wearing LED lights as a mask doesn't make the music any better

it's just too annoying

i said i didn't like both those albums, i agree with you, i simply didn't wanna hurt anybody's feelings like you you heartless prick... 

i honestly don't understand the sound palette decision for both those albums... 

Just now, dingformung said:

stop harassing me.

i think something went wrong with the mastering of his tracks in the last few albums. the tonal balance is off in an annoying way, probably to conform with pop music and other music that is different from tom's

maybe he's going deaf and he's using a piece of wood attached to his synths and beatboxes to feel the sound vibrations...

4 minutes ago, dingformung said:

who knows. maybe his mastering engineer is a bit too confident about his skills. we will never know. I think Tom should go back to jazz at this point 

i don't think it has nothing to do with the master, the sample's and synths's timbres are all fucked up, twas tom decision for sure, and that's something a master can't save... 

I hate to say it, But druqks at first.  It was right after windowlicker . I love druqks now. Although a bit tinny sounding. I just had to let it grow on me. It only took a few days

14 hours ago, cern said:

Bonobo - Made 2 wonderful albums same with Chris "Clark" Then they just lost everything. ?

His later albums really grew on me.

Also, what at all the Ufabulum hate. I love that album.

Plaid - Double Figure :trollface:

jk that one's an 8/10

when i think of this, it's kinda hard to think of one, maybe Tyler the Creator's Cherry Bomb? it's fine but the production on it sucks, which ironically, the title track does work for me. A lot of what I listen to is usually stuff I enjoy or feel middling on, another example would be the recent Luke Vibert trilogy albums. Rave Hop I like the most but all still feel inferior to past works of his.

Getting back to the point of the thread.

Bjork - was totally loving Debut, Post, Homogenic and Vespertine. Then Medulla came and it has a couple of tracks I love but I found the rest too difficult? Its a while since I tried listening to it, can't remember. And then she totally lost me with Volta, didn't like it at all.

Just being honest - sorry everyone - didn't like BOC's  Geogaddi. Only two decent tracks - Music is Math and 1969. So that was a major disappointment after mhtrtc. Their later stuff I find OK, like listenable. Their later stuff is - as Fredd McGriff said - like a good album by Air. But nothing groundshaking.

Agree with Bonobo after the first two albums. The first two are so perfect.

Tricky went downhill after one or two albums. Probably one album, if I'm honest.

Oh shit guys I've got it, biggest disappointment ever:

The Orb.

The first two albums were just epoch-defining. Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld and U.F.Orb.

But then they followed up with Pomme Fritz which I remember as being totally unlistenable.

And then Orbus Terrarum which I can't even remember, maybe it had one good track.

Massive disappointments. And this was in the days where you had to go to a shop, pay £12 for the CD, take it home and listen to it before you got hit by the disappointment. So much more of a sting to it in those days. Do you keep the CD, or go to the trouble of taking physically back to the shop for a refund? Such a shit experience.

Oh and bonus round:

They Might Be Giants - John Henry. I loved everything prior to that, whereas John Henry just had a couple of good tracks. Such a disappointment. Some of their later stuff I really love though. Their latest 'I Like Fun' is pretty amazing if you're into their stuff.

2 hours ago, zazen said:

Oh shit guys I've got it, biggest disappointment ever:

The Orb.

The first two albums were just epoch-defining. Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld and U.F.Orb.

But then they followed up with Pomme Fritz which I remember as being totally unlistenable.

And then Orbus Terrarum which I can't even remember, maybe it had one good track.

Massive disappointments. And this was in the days where you had to go to a shop, pay £12 for the CD, take it home and listen to it before you got hit by the disappointment. So much more of a sting to it in those days. Do you keep the CD, or go to the trouble of taking physically back to the shop for a refund? Such a shit experience.

For me one of the biggest disappointments was also the Orb but it wasn't Pomme Fritz. It sure was a weird album but I learned to love it and it became one of my favorites. Orbus Terrarum was even better. Orblivion was good also but not as good as OT. Then the real downhill started, first Cydonia (official release, the leaked version was way better) and then the fucking Bicycles & Tricycles that had From A Distance. Fuck that track. That's the point I stopped instabuying Orb albums.

In case people haven't heard From A Distance, here it is. A pretty long way from Orbus Terrarum..

5 hours ago, thumbass said:

dj shadow - everything after the private press

I've said it numerous times over the years here, but I can't think of a bigger fall from grace by an artist I was heavily influenced by ever. his musical output after private press is by far the biggest "massive disappointment" for me.

and does anyone else remember feeling disappointed when BoC announced they were actually brothers and felt they had to hide that? well maybe not disappointment, but definitely I felt confusion or wtf...

This is for sure an unpopular opinion but I kinda want to also say the Analord series. It still feels like it's mostly just analog gear fetishism and pretty boring overall.

Archived